October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What is best in gaming? (To you)

More
24 Jan 2022 19:47 #330080 by Jexik
I’m reminded of the old Conan quote which seems like some kind of Ameritrash mantra.

“To crush your foes blah blah lamentation of the women.”

That’s not what I look for.

Short version: learning.

Slightly longer version: gradually increasing understanding, of the game, myself, or others.

I can probably elaborate a bit more, but I’m interested to hear why y’all play games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Dr. Mabuse, sornars, Nodens, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2022 19:51 #330081 by charlest
Sinking that Crokinole shot right into the hole, then jumping up out of my chair and yelling like a Viking gorging on blood.

I want that feeling, over and over again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jackwraith, Jexik, sornars, Nodens, n815e

More
24 Jan 2022 19:57 #330082 by Vysetron
all the fun of high stakes gambling without the crippling financial losses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, mezike, Jexik, sornars, Nodens, n815e

More
24 Jan 2022 20:00 #330083 by Michael Barnes
LOL Charlie is always muttering oaths and bellowing while he plays.

I just want to hang out and shoot the shit. Game optional.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, Jexik, sornars, charlest, Nodens, n815e, Road Judge

More
24 Jan 2022 20:07 #330084 by Jexik

Michael Barnes wrote:
I just want to hang out and shoot the shit. Game optional.

I used to say that our D&D 3e campaign was just an excuse for us all to hang out and eat pizza every Saturday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, n815e

More
24 Jan 2022 20:09 #330085 by Michael Barnes
Ha now it’s just an excuse to get drunk on a phone call and talk about my friend’s colonoscopy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jay718, n815e

More
24 Jan 2022 20:46 #330086 by hotseatgames
My favorite thing is when something happens in a game that everyone remembers for years. Only certain kinds of games will give you those moments. Examples:

1. My chaotic evil friend starting the self-destruct sequence on the first turn of Nemesis, just because he could.
2. Same friend using a power to constantly rain fire down on everyone, including himself, in Lords of Hellas, just because he could.
3. My girlfriend stabbing her "team" in the back in order to win Cosmic Encounter.
4. The first time we played my production copy of SEAL Team Flix and I accidentally shot the hostage just before mission success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars, Nodens, n815e

More
24 Jan 2022 21:00 #330088 by dysjunct

Michael Barnes wrote: my friend’s colonoscopy.

Worst dungeon exploration premise ever.

My answer to the OP is when something happens that is totally unexpected, yet in retrospect could only have gone down that way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, Jexik, sornars, Nodens, n815e

More
24 Jan 2022 21:08 #330089 by Gary Sax
Unexpected outcomes of systems encountering other systems run by players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Jexik, hotseatgames, sornars, charlest, Nodens, n815e

More
24 Jan 2022 22:26 #330090 by Sagrilarus
Anything that leaves a memory. You don’t remember days, or even games. You remember a moment where something remarkable happened, either through genius, or skill, or the damnedest of luck. It helps if it’s hilarious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Msample, mezike, Jexik, sornars, charlest, Nodens, n815e

More
25 Jan 2022 09:10 #330094 by Jackwraith
My perspective has shifted over the decades(!) I used to be totally focused on the game and typically about winning when it came to board games. When we were playing Revolt on Antares, I was only thinking about my strategy and how to crush the opposition ASAP. Now it's almost entirely about the experience. Like Gary suggested, I want to see how this game works. I want to see what makes the bomb tick. That means it's also much more about the social experience. I want to spend time with these people doing this interesting thing that we all enjoy, so winning becomes secondary, although I still do try to win most of the time.

Haven't done any RPGing in a long time, but in those circumstances I was the GM 99% of the time because I was the one with stories to tell and that was my focus. I wanted to create the moments that my players would be talking about for hours outside of the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, mezike, Jexik, sornars, Nodens, n815e

More
27 Jan 2022 13:35 #330179 by ubarose
I like to play with people.I wrote this 11 years ago. I feel the same today, just substitute some newer games in for the games I mentioned.

Play with me
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, Jexik, birdman37, sornars, Nodens

More
27 Jan 2022 13:51 #330180 by southernman

ubarose wrote: I like to play with people.I wrote this 11 years ago. I feel the same today, just substitute some newer games in for the games I mentioned.

Play with me

Same here, as long as it's a game I like - and they are varied, even the odd euro - then it's for the fun with people. I can validate this with the fact that I have extremely little interest in solo games (as well as sitting by myself in front of a screen) and probably have done it five times in 20 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jexik

More
29 Jan 2022 18:12 - 29 Jan 2022 18:19 #330254 by Dschanni
Boardgames are a social medium after all.

For me, it's about being in contact, in touch, about connecting with oneself and another in a safe social realm out of the routine monotony of every day life. It's about communication, which means meeting each other at the same level, at the same time, with the same intensity.

On the other hand, seeking pleasure and distraction, pursuing power and achievement - all of this I don't need in my life. It's a waste of energy and leads to nothing but problems, inwardly and outwardly.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2022 18:19 by Dschanni.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
30 Jan 2022 00:54 #330258 by san il defanso
I love the opportunity to engage with other people in the game. While I like social games, that doesn't always translate into games with conflict. I more just appreciate the opportunity to play above the table a bit. If a game isn't inherently that social, I appreciate when it's laid-back enough that a conversation can continue in the background while playing. If it's a head-down thinky sort of game, I would rather play with good friends than randos.

In terms of game experience, I like drama. That means big reversals, unexpected outcomes, and memorable moments. For that reason I really enjoy gambling games, anything that allows high-risk-high-reward outcomes, and bluffing and double-guessing. I also enjoy auctions, and I feel like the Ameritrash community was too hard on auctions back in the early aughts, because they consistently make really compelling interactive moments for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds