October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

How do you share your game opinions with newbies?

More
29 Jan 2022 16:15 #330251 by Msample

dysjunct wrote: but is now a community of people reveling in ridiculous overconsumption, funded by interest-free loans to sketchy businessmen.

“It’s like regular money but….fun”

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, dysjunct, Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2022 17:42 #330253 by Jackwraith

dysjunct wrote: Yeah, I think that view of BGG is a little outdated, although it was broadly true maybe 15 years ago. The current top 25 has a lot of variety in it, and economic simulations are a minority.

Fer reals. In that top 25 are two versions of Gloomhaven (#1, #6), TI4 (#5), Star Wars: Rebellion (#8), Through the Ages (#9), War of the Ring (#10), Spirit Island (#11), Twilight Struggle (#13), Nemesis (#16), Dune: Imperium (#18), and AH: TCG (#24); none of which are dry economic sims, and several more that use economic systems (Gaia Project, Terra Mystica, Concordia, Brass stuff) but are far removed from the old Agricola-style stuff that used to repel a lot of people looking for theme in their games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jan 2022 00:50 #330257 by san il defanso
I generally don't. The vast majority of "newbie" games are good enough that I can play them every once and a while, and enjoy myself. When I am asked point blank about a specific game that I don't like, I usually say, "well, it's never worked too well for me, but a lot of people enjoy it."

Introducing games to someone is way more enjoyable when they are enthusiastic about it, so if someone has a specific thing they WANT to play I will almost always try to accommodate it.

These situations are vanishingly rare now for me, BTW. I don't play in game clubs anymore, and I am almost always the guy with a TON of games. People I encounter who like games are often not the BGG type, and Kickstarter has a lot less impact in countries where I've lived. So it's more common that I am explaining games to people who have very little interest in going much deeper.

More
30 Jan 2022 10:47 #330264 by Gary Sax
Speaking to your point, as that's the situation I am also in, I keep games around for these sorts of folks if they say they want to play a game. Not just settlers and traditional party games, but also Bohnanza, Carcassone, etc. I have actually had really good luck with Galaxy Trucker in that space too.

More
30 Jan 2022 12:33 - 30 Jan 2022 12:37 #330269 by Ah_Pook
I end up teaching games to the newbies pretty regularly at the game group I go to, and my typical go to is Hoity Toity. I fucking love that game, and it's so easy to teach, and the amount of nonsense that occurs is never not great.

Galaxy Trucker seems like it should fit into the same kind of space but I've had extremely mixed results with it. The up front rules load is intense, the real time spatial puzzle is polarizing, and a lot of people don't enjoy watching their ship get blown up. I'm curious if the new small box version shaved off the rough edges, but not enough to buy it when I already have a everything for the original heh.

Cascadia is another really good one, of late.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2022 12:37 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse

More
22 Feb 2022 15:12 #330980 by Shellhead
Met a woman online and we are just chatting at this stage because she lives far away but will be moving. She enjoys board games enough that she mentions board games three times in her profile. Her current favorites are Sagrada, Alhambra, Azul, Ticket to Ride, Silver, Covert, and Seasons. I told her that my favorites included Arkham Horror, Dune, Camp Grizzly, and Marvel Champions, and she hadn't heard of any of them. Maybe BGG has evolved in recent years, but the euro bias influenced/infected a generation of gamers who continue to influence new gamers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Dr. Mabuse, sornars

More
23 Feb 2022 02:36 #330984 by Virabhadra

Shellhead wrote: Maybe BGG has evolved in recent years

Oh, they are the vanguard of modern norms and customs in this arena.

More
23 Feb 2022 09:18 #330987 by RobertB

Shellhead wrote: Met a woman online and we are just chatting at this stage because she lives far away but will be moving. She enjoys board games enough that she mentions board games three times in her profile. Her current favorites are Sagrada, Alhambra, Azul, Ticket to Ride, Silver, Covert, and Seasons. I told her that my favorites included Arkham Horror, Dune, Camp Grizzly, and Marvel Champions, and she hadn't heard of any of them. Maybe BGG has evolved in recent years, but the euro bias influenced/infected a generation of gamers who continue to influence new gamers.

Don't forget that a lot of your acquaintance's favorites are found at Target and Walmart now. Granted, you can end up with Exploding Cats if you're not careful, but you can also end up with Pan Am.

People like my daughter are coming in through the Settlers of Catan door. I don't think she even knows what BGG is, and I don't tell her.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
23 Feb 2022 09:53 #330988 by Shellhead
Target and Walmart both sell Marvel Champions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB

More
23 Feb 2022 11:56 #330991 by Rliyen

Shellhead wrote: I use the exact voice of the Comic Book Shop Guy from the Simpsons. I tell them that the Settlers of Catan settled for a mediocre game that is practically an abstract. Then I switch to earnest evangelist voice and unleash the revelation of the superiority of ameritrash games. If possible, I guide them to a nearby table and get them to try Camp Grizzly. If they like it and ask about similar games, I talk about the better co-op adventure games first.

My exact thoughts on Catan

More
23 Feb 2022 14:29 #330996 by Shellhead
A scathing comment about Settlers of Catan from a BGGer who downgraded it to a 3:

A great game to introduce other people to a great hobby. It's got a very nice player interaction system, and the game's simplicity appeals just everyone (I haven't met the first person who doesn't like Settlers after playing it the first few times). However, with so many better options around now, both as gateway and gamer's games, this one gets less played every day.

UPDATE: I don't mind playing it, but don't enjoy it either. It's a far cry from most other euro games these days!

UPDATE: Just no. There are way too many better games these days to justify playing this long, boring game again.

More
23 Feb 2022 15:22 #331000 by RobertB
BGG hate gets a little overdone here, because it's in the site's DNA. But that sort of shit is the reason why BGG has a bad rep.

More
23 Feb 2022 16:42 #331001 by southernman

Shellhead wrote: A scathing comment about Settlers of Catan from a BGGer who downgraded it to a 3:

A great game to introduce other people to a great hobby. It's got a very nice player interaction system, and the game's simplicity appeals just everyone (I haven't met the first person who doesn't like Settlers after playing it the first few times). However, with so many better options around now, both as gateway and gamer's games, this one gets less played every day.

UPDATE: I don't mind playing it, but don't enjoy it either. It's a far cry from most other euro games these days!

UPDATE: Just no. There are way too many better games these days to justify playing this long, boring game again.

I don't see the problem with that - games evolve, people's tastes change. That is nothing different to what Mikey Barnes says about games he would have played 15-20 years ago, and I'd have to agree with those sentiments - I would probably be somewhere between those two 'updates' myself with Settlers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Erik Twice

More
23 Feb 2022 18:26 - 23 Feb 2022 18:44 #331004 by ChristopherMD
Used to play Settlers weekly during a lunch hour with 3 coworkers. It was always fast and fun. It's still the same game. So I'm gonna go with it's "you" not the game. Fine for BGG's popularity-based scoring system but ludicrous to suggest Settlers somehow became a bad game.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2022 18:44 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, mezike, Gregarius, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
23 Feb 2022 18:31 #331005 by Sagrilarus

ChristopherMD wrote: Used to play Settlers weekly during a lunch hour with 4 coworkers. It was always fast and fun. It's still the same game. So I'm gonna go with it's "you" not the game. Fine for BGG's popularity-based scoring system but ludicrous to suggest Settlers somehow became a bad game.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds