October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

I'm playing TI iv 6 player this weekend - thoughts and prayers

More
12 May 2022 16:18 - 12 May 2022 16:20 #332999 by boothwah
Tomorrow evening I embark on a trip up the coast, bound by an arcane pact of friendship to help another traveler get use of their expensive toys* - I am going to play in a 6 player game of Twilight Imperium - that they are really excited to play with their new expansion.

I've watched RTFM's 32 minutes video so I am probably totally ready to just jump right in.

1. What should I bring to drink? I'm thinking Quilter's Irish Death Stout sounds like a hit - a sipper, but not quite an imperial, with deep coffee notes to ponder while someone somewhere is going on about the bitter unfairness of what might have been if they had an extra command pip in another pie chart place to do different things with stuff. Or maybe peanut butter whiskey.

2. Any pointer on picking a faction? I'm planning on doing some HEAVY role playing. Factor that into your suggestion.

3. Any general strategy suggestions? The only one I have right now, is that I am planning on sitting by 2 guys that I know love combat-less euros, because the only other time I played, I got sat next to the ameri-trash guy that played with their ships before the explanations were even half through, and asked for a second run through on how to initiate combat. So I now know the the basic strategy of not sitting next to guys that want to try combat on the first round of the game, thereby hobbling the both of you for the next 6 hours.

He hopes that we can get 2 games in on Saturday.

*I mean, if they played through a 2nd Gloomhaven campaign with you, after finishing one completely with another group because you had just gotten it and need a third...I mean you pretty much have to play anything they buy the rest of your life. It's Old Magic.
Last edit: 12 May 2022 16:20 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Nodens, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2022 19:22 - 12 May 2022 19:23 #333004 by Gary Sax
Strategy: POINTS are what matter in this game. Be willing to make deals that benefit you both to get points even if they hurt temporary board position

Factions: arborec and yin brotherhood widely considered the worst factions. Universities of Jol Nar, Nekro, and Saar widely considered best.
Last edit: 12 May 2022 19:23 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, boothwah, sornars, Nodens

More
12 May 2022 20:17 - 12 May 2022 20:19 #333005 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: Strategy: POINTS are what matter in this game. Be willing to make deals that benefit you both to get points even if they hurt temporary board position

This cannot be stressed enough. Virtually every single action you take should be in service of getting more points. Make deals with neighbors to temporarily take control of a planet they have when you need that sixth planet or last tech specialty for an objective.

- Take Mecatol Rex first if no one else is pushing hard for it. All you need is one ship with one troop, and six influence. And then don't be afraid to abandon it if necessary.

- I would try to exchange your Support for the Throne promissory note (the one that gives you a point as long as you don't activate the other person's system) for that extra point. But try to do it with a player not sitting on either side of you.

- Try hard for your Secret Objectives, and make sure to get more that your initial one. I don't think I've ever seen someone win without getting at least one Secret Objective scored.
Last edit: 12 May 2022 20:19 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, boothwah, sornars, Nodens

More
13 May 2022 20:49 #333032 by KingPut
You’re not playing Risk. Make friends with neighbors. It’s all about objective and VP as others have posted. Get techs, build ships but don’t obsess over either. You can win without the best tech or biggest fleet. Command token are gold, you’ll always need command tokens. Most new players build to many fleets and forget to build enough armies. You need boots on ground to take planets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, boothwah, sornars

More
13 May 2022 21:46 #333033 by Virabhadra
Mecatol Rex is a death trap.

This is personal preference, but in some cases the best offense is a good defense and I almost always go for a security perimeter of concentrated PDS fire.

Oh, and I love the look on people's faces when you vote down a political agenda that they were sure they could squeeze by everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah, sornars

More
15 May 2022 10:42 #333049 by boothwah
The game was 12 hours. Over two days. We played to 14. I scored 12. I have had the experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Nodens, Kmann

More
15 May 2022 11:38 #333051 by Jackwraith
Jeebus. Were you playing with that guy who narrates every option of his turn again?
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
15 May 2022 13:14 #333052 by Gary Sax

boothwah wrote: The game was 12 hours. Over two days. We played to 14. I scored 12. I have had the experience.

Yikes whose idea was it to play to 14?
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
16 May 2022 14:30 #333084 by boothwah

Gary Sax wrote:

boothwah wrote: The game was 12 hours. Over two days. We played to 14. I scored 12. I have had the experience.

Yikes whose idea was it to play to 14?

They had the new expansion and were juiced to try it out. And this was the big Dad's with no kids weekend at the beach house, and this is their big get together lifestyle game - I was one of 2 playing their second game but the other four had at least 3 or 4 games in together.

I had a lot of fun hanging out with the guys. Probably not an experience I want to sign up for again (the 12 hour game), but if the same guys were going again(and playing a 10 point game) I would totally give them a Saturday just to hang out again.

No, the turn narrator was not there - but it was a big group of friends so the deal making was intense - I ended the game with promissary notes from everyone but the dude at my right - I didn't end up having to do much "I'm taking it because I want it" - I was Saar and built early - Did my spread out victory points and then kind of turtled and was able to trade the threat of my armies for a bunch of people asking me to wait until they moved out to take the territory the were camping in exchange for not potshotting their ships - I scored 2 of my secret obs and was holding 2 support for the thrones at the end.

It was regarded as a good move that I brought my dice tower - They usually roll those tens somewhere on the table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, sornars, charlest, Nodens, DarthJoJo, Kmann

More
16 May 2022 17:23 #333087 by boothwah
The expansion made the game way more swingy and there were more stuffs to do - The exploration thing and the Relics added way more fun (and swinginess which probably someone somewhere hates)

One guy pulled a Relic that let him Death Star a planet as an action - Just wipe it off the map with all the units on it - That was played to great effect. There was a really cool play where the Yin player slingshotted his capitol ship (which kills every other ship at it's location when defeated) into Mechatol Rex to blow up a huge pile of plastic that was there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37, WadeMonnig

More
16 May 2022 22:09 #333089 by Gary Sax
A lot of people consider the van hauge the best thing Yin has going for them.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds