October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

WTB: Tsuro

More
07 Jun 2022 20:22 - 07 Jun 2022 20:26 #333539 by Virabhadra
Replied by Virabhadra on topic WTB: Tsuro
Is the Fleshlight built into the box, or do you have to order a separate attachment?

I love how heavily they lean into the game's "rich history." Tsuro is an iconic piece of Tanga Trash with a legacy of gumming up early math trades.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2022 20:26 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, RobertB, Cranberries, hotseatgames, Frohike, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2022 21:46 #333542 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic WTB: Tsuro

Msample wrote: I'd pay extra money for a game if the designer would state up front when the game is announced "Fuck you losers, there will be NO FUCKING SOLO mode".

Well, you don't even have to pay extra if you get in on Arcs, since Cole stated up front that there would be no solo mode. He stated quite firmly that Arcs is a 3-4 player game and that that's what all of their development time is targeted for. He said it's possible that someone else at Leder might develop a solo mode, post-release, but that it won't be him. There was a certain level of polite wailing in the thread on BGG in which this statement was made and he was courteous in telling them "No" a few times before departing said thread and allowing the rest of us to pile on those who made 4 or 5 MORE threads asking for the solo or 2-player modes that he had specifically said would not be happening.

More
08 Jun 2022 00:14 #333543 by Forelle
Replied by Forelle on topic WTB: Tsuro
Personally, I'm hoping rules in scroll form is a thing that catches on. Being able to correct people while holding the rules up like some old-timey proclamation would be the chef's kiss for rules-lawyering douche bags everywhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HiveGod, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, sornars

More
08 Jun 2022 00:32 #333544 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic WTB: Tsuro
LMAO yeah I love that the game’s “rich” history is detailed…it left out “2006, everyone stopped giving a shit about this terrible game that badly ripped off Dirk Hen’s Metro”.

One of my daughter’s friend’s dad came up to me and said “oh, you like board games, have you played (awful Asian stereotype accent” ‘SUDO” and I was like no, I haven’t never heard of it. The. He described Tsuro and went on about IOS they took it to camping and whatever. And I was like OH ok, yeah Tsuro…that’s a game alright.

Weirdest thing is that there is a Battletech connection via Jordan Weismann.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Virabhadra

More
08 Jun 2022 10:22 #333550 by Jackwraith

Forelle wrote: Personally, I'm hoping rules in scroll form is a thing that catches on. Being able to correct people while holding the rules up like some old-timey proclamation would be the chef's kiss for rules-lawyering douche bags everywhere.

At this price, I'd be hoping for stone (or at least plastic) tablets.

More
14 Jun 2022 08:57 #333678 by Legomancer
The following user(s) said Thank You: fightcitymayor

More
14 Jun 2022 09:06 #333679 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic WTB: Tsuro
Slow news day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
14 Jun 2022 09:20 #333683 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic WTB: Tsuro
Oh the irony of BGG, a site built largely on the basis of boardgame consumption, editorializes on whether blatant cash grabs are a good thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, stormseeker75, Frohike, Erik Twice

More
14 Jun 2022 09:39 #333689 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic WTB: Tsuro
Someone in that thread used the phrase "libertarian-adjacent thinker" and my oxymoron meter blew up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
14 Jun 2022 12:32 - 14 Jun 2022 12:33 #333692 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic WTB: Tsuro
If someone wants to create the Snuggie, and a manufacturer has the means and desire to bring the Snuggie to market, and people want to buy the Snuggie, they have the right and freedom to do so, and the Snuggie should exist.

However, I can still mock the Snuggie.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2022 12:33 by ubarose.

More
14 Jun 2022 14:27 #333697 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic WTB: Tsuro

ubarose wrote: If someone wants to create the Snuggie, and a manufacturer has the means and desire to bring the Snuggie to market, and people want to buy the Snuggie, they have the right and freedom to do so, and the Snuggie should exist.

Except in Texas.

More
14 Jun 2022 14:47 #333699 by fightcitymayor
Replied by fightcitymayor on topic WTB: Tsuro

Legomancer wrote: uhoh, BGG is big mad

boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/132988/who-ge...ould-exist-editorial

SAY SOMETHING NICE!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
14 Jun 2022 14:53 #333700 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic WTB: Tsuro
I’m glad that this exists.

If Tsuro is someone’s favourite game and they want and can afford a super premium edition then bully for them. There are chess sets that cost a magnitude more, and games like War of the Ring, Small World and others have had similar treatment at a similar price point. The only thing wrong about any of this are bad attitudes that Tsuro isn’t considered good enough to be someone’s favourite game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith, stormseeker75, sornars

More
14 Jun 2022 17:09 #333702 by Jackwraith
Right. Was chiming in when Dan Thurot expressed similar sentiments on Twitter the other day. I used expensive chess sets as a similar example, too. If you want this kind of thing, knock yourself out. As long as you're not hurting anyone else, I'm not going to tell you how to have fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
14 Jun 2022 17:23 - 14 Jun 2022 17:27 #333703 by sornars
Replied by sornars on topic WTB: Tsuro
My read on these reactions is that there’s a fear that the center of gravity of this hobby is shifting from the working/middle class to the upper middle class and that change is what’s pissing people off.

If people are willing to pay for this (and apparently people are) then publishers would be silly to not make it. I don’t think the merits of Tsuro as a game are relevant to the discussion at all. That doesn’t preclude me from thinking it’s gauche but it doesn’t invalidate it existing or the people pouring their money into it one bit. Why not judge people for spending money on trips to Disneyland or home theatres instead. You’d think the fact that regular people think we spend our money in insane ways by virtue of playing board games would instil some humility amongst this crowd.

My nautical knowledge is admittedly shakey but I’m thinking of this along the lines of Boston Whalers and Sunseekers. Both are boats, both are luxury products and both let you fish. The existence of a high end doesn’t really affect the existence of a mid range offering.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2022 17:27 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith, mezike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds