October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

I feel reborn. My first shot at War of the Ring.

More
21 Feb 2008 01:40 #3088 by daveroswell
My God I was lost. Never have I been so lost in a game while enjoying it so much. Normally I HATE cards with endless text, but I didn't care for some reason.

The only drawback I saw was a Lord of the Rings schmoe saying "I cant' believe you cant find Dinglefark on the map. One ring to rule them all!"

If the other gmes I haven't played (Descent, Twilight Imperium, Tide of Iron, World of Warcraft etc.) give me the same type of feeling, you have a true convert on yer hands.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2008 02:06 #3090 by Ken B.
Tell your friend he's an idiot...there's no Dinglefark, fer cryin' out loud!!~1!ONE~!!!

War of the Ring is GOOD, ain't it? It's like...it shouldn't exist. It has enough plastic to choke a horse. It RETAILS for less than games with half the bits. It's complex with tons of rules, subrules, subsystems, and card interactions. The map is gigantic and in two pieces. It's about a dorky series of books. It's not "balanced".

And yet...there it is. And it's something.

I can tell ya, Dave, that TI3 gives me the same warm and fuzzies. Something about just being immersed in a system where you're free to do what you want (instead of picking from "Crafter" or "Builder" this turn) and somewhere along the way, you become part of the story...

It's...bloody magical. Welcome, brother.

(I totally take that stuff back I said about you being butt flakery on the asscheek of gamedom.)

More
21 Feb 2008 05:01 #3094 by daveroswell

More
21 Feb 2008 05:47 #3097 by Schweig!
War of the Ring was my gateway game. Not Carcassonne.

More
22 Feb 2008 10:15 #3195 by Kriz
Mmmm...War of the Ring...a game I've wanted to play for a long time. Hopefully it will come back into print soon.

More
26 Feb 2008 16:52 #3415 by Aarontu
My very favorite two player game! This one sits up on high in my holy trinity of games (Settlers, TI3, and WotR)! I haven't encountered anything that beats the gaming experience it offers. (some games come close, but nothing beats so far.)

More
26 Feb 2008 17:57 #3428 by Lagduf
War of the Ring is pretty much awesome.

And yeah, if you play with me i'd be that LotR nerd going "LOLZ YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE FAR HARAD IZ?!?" - it's pretty much every Lord of the Ring nerd's duty.

Likewise when I play something like Railroad Tycoon and one of my (American) opponents asks me where a city is I usually just give them a cold stare. If i'm feeling nice I'll tell them what state it would be in. My friend's girlfriend once asked "where is New York" while playing a game of RRT. I almost punched her.

Yes, Geography (real and fictional) is that important.

More
26 Feb 2008 18:31 #3429 by jur
Geography is useful, up to a point. If you never get more than a few miles from home, there's no need. There was a Dutch TV program where tourists where asked to point their location on a world map. Their level of ignorance wasn't significantly different from Americans as far as I could see. Can I name all the German Länder, French Departements, US states, Canadian provinces? No. Should I worry? Maybe.

But knowing the geography of an imaginary continent? Eh... I got a peace of wild meat on the inside of my right thigh. That worries me.

By the way, where did the blue mages go to?

More
01 Apr 2008 15:34 #4517 by greeneggsnham
I'm hoping that the reprint(normal, not collector's ed) comes soon. I've saved up for it.

Although there's that part of me that says I could just get TI3 now. Soo tempting....

More
01 Apr 2008 16:58 #4521 by robartin
This game didn't grab me for some reason. Can't explain why, but the 1 pt text on the cards didn't help at all.

More
01 Apr 2008 17:41 #4523 by Michael Barnes
It's a tough game to get in one sitting though...mainly because it's kind of hard to teach/learn without experience.

The font thing is pretty bad, hopefully in future editions they'll do something about that.

More
01 Apr 2008 17:44 #4524 by Mr Skeletor
Yeah, I can't say I love it as much as others do. The annoying rulebook didn't help.

More
01 Apr 2008 20:06 #4525 by Michael Barnes
The rulebook is horrible. It was a big mistake to not do it as a case-based thing rather than prose, but I know that would cause some gamers to bitch effusively on the internet.

It's actually a pretty complex game- the way the diplomatic relations work is really tricky, then you've got everything associated with the Fellowship, special situations...the game is every bit as rules-heavy as something published in 1980.

More
01 Apr 2008 20:53 #4526 by Ken B.
It is deliciously old school, a pretty bold move for a game released in 2004, well before anyone was even sure that there was an AT audience out there.

It would almost be right at home in the 80's, but in all that complexity much has been streamlined and the bloat just isn't there. No one rule is particularly complex at all...it's just tough to take it all in initially and remember it all.

When it comes to thematic realizations of a licensed property, few are better than this one.

More
02 Apr 2008 00:11 #4527 by Michael Barnes
I definitely agree with that- and the bottom line is that it's worth the commitment to learn.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds