October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Any weekend game plans?

More
14 Mar 2008 15:02 #4136 by ubarose
My daughter announced that she wants to play D&D (the basic game) in costume this weekend. So we will be pulling that out. The man says he really wants to try the new European Rails map we got for Railroad Tycoon. I want to do Arkham Horror and Monster Mash, but don't know if we will get to those. It looks like we may actually have some nice weather this weekend and my even leave the games behind and venture outside.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2008 15:18 #4137 by mikelawson
Irony of ironies, we want good weather so my son can get to baseball practice. Guess what's happening outside?

Rain. More rain forecast for tomorrow, too.

However, maybe we're due for a rematch of 1st Bull Run in Battle Cry.

--Mike L.

More
14 Mar 2008 16:03 #4141 by Shellhead
My cheap (cash-only) mechanic will be working on my car over the weekend, so I will be stuck at home working on GIMPshop formatting cards for a side project. Unless maybe I can catch a ride with a friend to attend a Vampire ccg tournament in a distant suburb.

More
14 Mar 2008 16:12 #4142 by moss_icon
Twilight Imperium on Sunday for the first time. I hope to have more fun than when we played Through the AgeZZZZZZZZZZZZ the other week.

More
14 Mar 2008 16:28 #4144 by southernman
Well, one of the guys in my groups (and one of the best gamers around my area) was putting one of his monthly Sunday sessions together and gave us a choice of; Anything 18XX, Manifest Destiny, Arkham Horror, or Starcraft (all fine with me) and we couldn't get enough numbers - again! Weekends are damn hard to get people out to game in these parts while week nights are no problem.
Backup is a Memoir '44 night with another mate if he is free - otherwise sport on TV and clean the bloody house and yard.

More
14 Mar 2008 23:56 #4154 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Any weekend game plans?
I'd like to get in some Rails of Europe - Haven't got to test it out yet.

Or maybe 4 player Nexus Ops, or 4+ player Sleuth.

You guys played Sleuth?

It pretty much destroys Clue.

And it is a totally awesome game, but thats a given since it's a Sid Sackson design.

More
15 Mar 2008 00:01 #4155 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Any weekend game plans?
Southernman wrote:

Well, one of the guys in my groups (and one of the best gamers around my area) was putting one of his monthly Sunday sessions together and gave us a choice of; Anything 18XX, Manifest Destiny, Arkham Horror, or Starcraft (all fine with me) and we couldn't get enough numbers - again! Weekends are damn hard to get people out to game in these parts while week nights are no problem.
Backup is a Memoir '44 night with another mate if he is free - otherwise sport on TV and clean the bloody house and yard.

What do you feel are your minimum numbers?

Weekends are much easier for me than week nights. It's like coordinating a shuttle launch for me to get out of the house on a Thursday night. I think it is the having a kid thing. My club does one night a week, and one Saturday a month. Saturdays are when the people with families show up.

More
15 Mar 2008 00:38 #4157 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Any weekend game plans?
ubarose wrote:

My daughter announced that she wants to play D&D (the basic game) in costume this weekend. So we will be pulling that out. The man says he really wants to try the new European Rails map we got for Railroad Tycoon. I want to do Arkham Horror and Monster Mash, but don't know if we will get to those. It looks like we may actually have some nice weather this weekend and my even leave the games behind and venture outside.

I saw what appears to be an older edition of a D&D basic game for $12.99 at a local store. And by older, I mean they just had a different full price version (the one I was looking at was in the bargain bin) - i'm thinking about picking it up.

Should I?

More
15 Mar 2008 01:25 #4158 by mikelawson
Lagduf wrote:

ubarose wrote:

I saw what appears to be an older edition of a D&D basic game for $12.99 at a local store. And by older, I mean they just had a different full price version (the one I was looking at was in the bargain bin) - i'm thinking about picking it up.

Should I?

Depends. Is it the Red Box Basic game, or one of the older AD&D books? Or is it the old "Blue Book" Dungeons and Dragons set (not the "Expert Set")?

Also, you have to take into account whether you play RPGs at all, and if you do whether you'd like the nostalgia. The old D&D sets (not AD&D) allowed for a lot of freedom. The AD&D 1st Edition did too, but it was a bit more complicated than the old D&D stuff.

--Mike L.

More
15 Mar 2008 06:01 #4160 by southernman
ubarose wrote:

Southernman wrote:

What do you feel are your minimum numbers?

Weekends are much easier for me than week nights. It's like coordinating a shuttle launch for me to get out of the house on a Thursday night. I think it is the having a kid thing. My club does one night a week, and one Saturday a month. Saturdays are when the people with families show up.

[/i]

Four is usually my minimum number for multi-player games as I don't like the feel of a 3-player game, although I can think of a few I would play - Risk: Star Wars OT, Blockmania, Co-Op games like LotR.
I think I prefer the atmosphere of lots of people plus the extra chaos/action/fun that can be generated iwth more people as everyone looks for their opening.
We only had three for the weekend and, although that probably would have been OK for some of the listed games, we didn't think we would get the best experience out of it.

Our kids are a bit older so week nights aren't too bad - I got to a club with mostly younger (than me) minis/AT/GW players while my old group do their Euros on the same night, then I usually meet up with them on a Friday night for whatever is going. I'm always keen for a weekend game as that's when we get the longer games out but that's when everyones social and family life kicks in - the last one we had was TI3 back in December.

Played European Rails last Friday and came away just 'warm' over it. It has a few changes to RRT that I like (I'm not a big fan of RRT, I usually just play it to build stuff) but the map feels tighter and I found myself locked in after a few competitive builds and a couple of bad ones - I preferred the fan version map of Europe that was made for RRT. Maybe I just had a bum night.

More
15 Mar 2008 10:57 #4163 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Any weekend game plans?
Bah! I'm getting married next weekend and am doing nothing but planning and running errands for that. I haven't been able to game in like 2 weeks! I am going through DT's

More
15 Mar 2008 10:59 #4164 by mikelawson
Congrats, Chappy!

So, is she a gamer?

--Mike L.

More
15 Mar 2008 11:04 - 15 Mar 2008 11:05 #4165 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Any weekend game plans?
Lagduf wrote:

Should I?

Did the box look like this?

There are two versions, both with this same cover art. One has 16 minis and one has 12 minis. From what I understand, they are both pretty much the same game. Don't expect that you will be playing actual D&D with this set. It doesn't come with any of the actual D&D manuals. The rule set and adventure it does come with is extremely simplified, and is really more of a tutorial. There is no real attempt at balance, or making it challenging for the adventurers.

However, if this is something that you are into, I think either version is worth $12.99 for the components alone. You get the minis (but no cards for the mini game), four dungeon tiles, a complete set of dice, some handy tokens, and one tutorial adventure. You can download additional adventures from the website. Clearly the idea is that you will eventually want a more complex game, and will then start purchasing more D&D stuff to ramp up the game, and before you know it $12.99 will have lead you down the path to spend $90 on the core books or to start shelling out cash for the mini boosters.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2008 11:05 by ubarose.

More
15 Mar 2008 11:22 #4166 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Any weekend game plans?
Big congrats, Chappy!

More
15 Mar 2008 11:25 #4167 by Kriz
Replied by Kriz on topic Re:Any weekend game plans?
Yes, I think its more likely the basic game looked like the pic ubarose posted...I think if you find one of the red or blue box sets from the 80s in a bargain bin brand new, you could probably make a lot of money online.

I'm personally not a big fan of the miniatures game that D&D is becoming. If you're interested in starting up a game, I would try and find someone with a good personality who already plays the game....maybe easier said than done.

And ubarose, I'm not going to tell you how to raise your kids, but the road to LARPing is a dangerous one, imho. :P

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds