MB
Michael Barnes
November 15, 2021
1530 0
B
BradHB
November 12, 2021
550 0
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Arthur C. Clarke R.I.P.

More
18 Mar 2008 18:19 #4244 by mikelawson
Reports are coming in that Sir Arthur C. Clarke has died at the age of 90; he was the last of the Big Three SF writers from the Golden Age: Clarke, Heinlein and Asimov.

First Gygax, now Clarke.

--Mike L.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2008 00:27 #4251 by Michael Barnes
Truly one of the greats...glad he lived to a ripe old age.

When I was a kid, I loved that paranormal phenomenon show he did, ARTHUR C. CLARKE'S MYSTERIOUS WORLD. He always had this epilogue where he personally debunked everything on the show. "You may believe in psychic surgery, but frankly I think it's a load of crap".

Did you know Asimov died from AIDS-related complications? I just found that out not too long ago...I had no idea.

More
19 Mar 2008 02:06 #4256 by Harkonnen13
Arthur C Clarke lived a good long life so I can't say I'm sad that he died. He was one of the Greats of science fiction and will be remembered.

More
19 Mar 2008 12:20 #4263 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Arthur C. Clarke R.I.P.
Harkonnen13 wrote:

Arthur C Clarke lived a good long life so I can't say I'm sad that he died. He was one of the Greats of science fiction and will be remembered.

That's an odd calculus, there. He was still saying and writing interesting things. I'm sad to see him pass. Baruch dayan emet.

More
19 Mar 2008 12:47 #4264 by mikelawson
Michael Barnes wrote:

When I was a kid, I loved that paranormal phenomenon show he did, ARTHUR C. CLARKE'S MYSTERIOUS WORLD. He always had this epilogue where he personally debunked everything on the show. "You may believe in psychic surgery, but frankly I think it's a load of crap".

Did you know Asimov died from AIDS-related complications? I just found that out not too long ago...I had no idea.

Was it similar to Arthur Ashe's death in that he contracted AIDS from a blood transfusion?

--Mike L.

More
19 Mar 2008 13:47 #4265 by mikelawson
Yep, apparently it was.

--Mike L.

More
20 Mar 2008 01:45 #4286 by Horacio Silva
mikelawson wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

Was it similar to Arthur Ashe's death in that he contracted AIDS from a blood transfusion?

--Mike L.

Your source please?

H

More
20 Mar 2008 09:26 #4295 by Michael Barnes
Come on man, it's the internet. There's only one source:

From Wikipedia:

Asimov died on April 6, 1992. He was survived by his second wife, Janet, and his children from his first marriage. Ten years after his death, Janet Asimov's edition of Asimov's autobiography, It's Been a Good Life, revealed that his death was caused by AIDS; he had contracted HIV from a blood transfusion received during a heart bypass operation in December 1983.[20] The specific cause of death was heart and renal failure as complications of HIV infection. Janet Asimov wrote in the epilogue of It's Been a Good Life that Asimov had wanted to "go public," but his doctors convinced him to remain silent, warning that anti-AIDS prejudice would extend to his family members. Asimov's family considered disclosing his condition after he died, but the controversy which erupted when Arthur Ashe announced that he had AIDS convinced them otherwise. Ten years later, after Asimov's doctors had died, Janet and Robyn agreed that the AIDS story could be made public.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds