October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Free Tibet

More
15 Apr 2008 03:19 #4997 by Schweig!
Free Tibet was created by Schweig!
This is why the Olympic Games should be boycotted:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2008 03:37 #4998 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Free Tibet
Hahahaha.

I love it.

More
15 Apr 2008 11:57 #5011 by Druen Kree
Replied by Druen Kree on topic Re:Free Tibet
That sign and the person who wrote kind of make me sad.(typing this while grummbling about moronic people who dont know shit about history)

More
15 Apr 2008 12:03 - 15 Apr 2008 12:03 #5012 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Free Tibet
Err ... they did. Admittedly well before the world knew what the Nazi hierachy had plans to do - plus the US was still a racist country back then and the big European countries weren't much better in their colonies.

But there is a good list building to tell China FUCK:
Tibet, Biggest polluter in the world (as of yesterday) and no sign of stopping, exceuting prisoners to order for their organs, just blatant human rights breaches, creating sweat-shops in the hundreds of thousands to slowly pull manufacturing business to China and away from the rest of the world. .....could go on for freakin ages yet.
At least the athletes will be able to get all their drugs dirt cheap over there !
Last edit: 15 Apr 2008 12:03 by southernman.

More
15 Apr 2008 13:01 #5017 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Free Tibet
That is hilarious.

The funniest thing though is that all nations engage in some kind of evil and to pretend that one has a moral high ground over another is just ludicrous. Whether it's social evil, economic evil, or political evil...every government is just as bad as another because they are inherently bad. Not the people they govern at all- just the governing bodies.

More
15 Apr 2008 14:08 #5027 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Free Tibet
Conquering adjacent territories is how China has grown since the first emperor. I think its a waste of time asking them to give up territory they took over fifty years ago. Tibet is part of China now.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for the Tibetans who want to choose their own government, religion, etc. But realistically it'd be easier to get China to change its laws than cut down its size. Although I wouldn't hold my breath for any law changes either.

More
15 Apr 2008 16:24 #5032 by PseudoIntellectual
Replied by PseudoIntellectual on topic Re:Free Tibet
I think the person that wrote the sign was being facetious... And I found it funny when I thought that. It didn't occur to me that they might have been serious. I was probably projecting my own sarcasm onto the sign-holder, but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

More
15 Apr 2008 16:36 #5034 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Free Tibet
If you have a legitimate interest on the subject, I highly recommend this article . Derrick's been living in Beijing for a few years now, and his take on it is something you won't hear in American media.

More
15 Apr 2008 21:50 #5044 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Free Tibet
PseudoIntellectual wrote:

I think the person that wrote the sign was being facetious... And I found it funny when I thought that. It didn't occur to me that they might have been serious. I was probably projecting my own sarcasm onto the sign-holder, but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Same here. I don't extend that the Southerman's post though...

More
15 Apr 2008 23:55 #5052 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Free Tibet
SenorOcho wrote:

If you have a legitimate interest on the subject, I highly recommend this article . Derrick's been living in Beijing for a few years now, and his take on it is something you won't hear in American media.

Because we all know that Communist News is forthright and honest right? The gist of his article seemed to be to the affect of "tough shit Tibet is owned by China...deal with it".

More
16 Apr 2008 08:32 #5055 by Citadel
Replied by Citadel on topic Re:Free Tibet
That sign is brilliant. I think the person who wrote it must have known.

SenorOcho wrote:

It is interesting to hear the other side. I think the UK's media takes things further than the US's. If you watch this video you may get a different perspective on Tibet again. When you earn less than a dollar a day, I don't think it makes a huge difference if you live under a religious serfdom, a communist dictatorship or a capitalist democracy.

Fifty years is not enough time for any conflict to die down if people are still suffering because of it. Look at most conflicts in the world at the moment.

As for China is the most polluting/stealing Western manufacturing, it is the greed of Western companies and consumers that is causing this. If China has just become the most polluting country in the world that still means its pollution per capita is far less than North American or European countries. Also a significant proportion of the pollution/CO2 will be produced in the manufacture of goods for North America and Europe. It is hypocracy, and double hypocracy at that, for the West to claim that China is more polluting than themselves.

More
16 Apr 2008 09:41 - 16 Apr 2008 09:44 #5057 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Free Tibet
I personally think that Tibet should well be "freed".

But I can't bash China for its pollution. In total pollution over the years the European countries and the USA still have quite a lead.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2008 09:44 by Schweig!.

More
16 Apr 2008 10:06 #5061 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Free Tibet
I helped out a tiny bit with the Buddist Electronic Text Preservation Project. Mostly just a lot of waving my arms and pointing in an attempt to teach the translators how to use Macs. Therefore, I know several Buddist monks and nuns that fled Tibet. Comparing what is going on there to Nazi Germany is not too far off.

More
16 Apr 2008 10:29 #5062 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Free Tibet
Schweig! wrote:

But I can't bash China for its pollution. In total pollution over the years the European countries and the USA still have quite a lead.

I'm sure the Greenies and all those concerned with Global Warming will take solace from that then .... I think I heard Al Gore breathing a big sigh of relief :-)

The thing is China's is accelerating - they have dozens of coal-fired power stations ready to come online in the next 10 years to satisfy the greed of western and asian millionaire/billionaire business interests.

I think the argument of 'someone else did it/is doing it' has been well used down the centuries and always with detrimental effects ... but we are all greedy human bastards (capitalist and communist alike) so who gives a fuck anyway, after all we'll all be well dead by the time the world toasts itself properly.

More
16 Apr 2008 16:41 - 16 Apr 2008 16:45 #5074 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Free Tibet
mikoyan wrote:

Because we all know that Communist News is forthright and honest right? The gist of his article seemed to be to the affect of "tough shit Tibet is owned by China...deal with it".

Yeah, never mind that the guy knows more about Chinese history and culture than you ever will, he's clearly a communist so let's outright dismiss everything he has to say.
Of course, our news is so forthright and honest that they've been following this for years and not just bringing it up now because of the olympics, right?

I don't personally have an opinion on Tibet, because its silly to point fingers without getting your own shit in order first. For example... where do you all stand on North Ireland?
Last edit: 16 Apr 2008 16:45 by SenorOcho.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.668 seconds