October 09, 2023
2509 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2707 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Hi everybody!

More
27 Apr 2008 23:05 #5419 by jdezom
Hi everybody! was created by jdezom
Thought I'd finally make my first post to this site to introduce myself. I've had the Ameritrash fire burning in me for a long time. Some of my best board game memories as a child are me and my brother playing Axis & Allies, even though I was too young to understand the rules too well (now that I can actually read the rules, I've found there really aren't bonus dice for being the older player). Unfortunately, the length of the game and my young age meant we didn't do this often at all. As I got older, board gaming took a back seat to video games because the rest of my family were into "mass market" games which, even at that age, bored me. A few years ago, I walked into the local comic book store to check out what kind of comic books were out now. I had stopped buying them when I started the dating game, movies and dinners interest most girls more than long boxes packed with comics. Anyway, in the back room there were a bunch of guys rolling dice and shouting hits and damage taken. I walked back to find Axis & Allies Minis games spread across several tables. I was instantly drawn by the name and intrigued by the awesome looking minis and skirmish level combat. I watched a game and came back a week later to buy a starter set. I got into the constant booster buying thing and enjoyed the game, but I found the cost of keeping up with the other players was getting a little out of hand. I soon started looking towards the new board games I had found when I stumbled upon a "popular board gaming site" after Googling Axis & Allies minis. I made my first few mistakes in going for theme right away and picking up both Zombies!!! and Monsters Menace America as my first purchases. They were fun, but nothing I was obsessed over. Also on that board gaming site, I found a two local board game groups. One is a semi-private group leaning toward Euros and the other is a public group where just about anything goes. I discovered so many new games via these two groups and my collection is still in the process of growing. I went from those two early purchases and some mass market "classics" to a collection of about 38 different games now. My collection is mixed, but I get the most fun out of my Ameritrash games. So many edge-of-your-seat moments as the dice are spinning to determine the outcome of an epic clash of forces on the battlefield! From that other site, I was led to this site via the postings during the fallout from the Barnes banning and, after quite some time lurking and just reading the articles, here I am. So, now that I've introduced myself, go ahead and let me know if there is anything you'd like to know about me.

Hello to everybody on Fortress Ameritrash!
Jonathan DeVowe

I also make, in my opinion, a great evil dice rolling face.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2008 23:46 #5422 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Hi everybody!
jdevowe wrote:

Jonathan DeVowe

That can't seriously be your last name...

Axis and Allies is one of those rare beasts that for some unexplained reason I have no interest in trying. I'd love to give all of the other Gamemaster games a go, but not so much that one.

If you put that picture on "Hot or Not" Robartin will give you a 10 for sure.

Welcome aboard.

More
28 Apr 2008 09:53 #5430 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Hi everybody!
You do have an awesome evil dice rolling face. :)

More
28 Apr 2008 10:25 #5433 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Hi everybody!
Since you're playing Dragonlords, expect a personal message soon:

"User Robert Martin has sent you a marriage proposal. To accept, click the following link."

Seriously, welcome aboard, man. Dice rolling really is all in the wrist and the evil dice rolling faces. I think.

More
28 Apr 2008 12:33 #5438 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Hi everybody!
I'm not so much one for the faces as the voodoo beforehand. Much clacking in the slightly opened fist, perhaps a breath or two. "Comeoncomecomeoncomeon SIXES!!!" Things like that. If the situation really calls for it, there may be some bowling like gesticulations.

More
29 Apr 2008 09:15 #5465 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Hi everybody!
You might want to kiss the dice and rub them at your ass before rolling though (in that order).

Are you wearing the official BGG T-shirt?

More
29 Apr 2008 10:05 #5467 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Hi everybody!
What the hell is going on? There's never been a photograph taken of someone actually playing DRAGONLORDS. It's kind of like seeing a picture of a Yeti or something.

Robert Martin is going to be so tickled, you don't even know. Make sure you ask him for painting tips on how to make the metal Dragonlord's eyes red- if you're hardcore enough to have bought the advanced game expansion.

But hey, we're glad to have you here- please observe the two drink minimum.

More
29 Apr 2008 11:00 #5480 by mikelawson
Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:Hi everybody!
Ken B. wrote:

Since you're playing Dragonlords, expect a personal message soon:

"User Robert Martin has sent you a marriage proposal. To accept, click the following link."

Seriously, welcome aboard, man. Dice rolling really is all in the wrist and the evil dice rolling faces. I think.

Thumbs!! We need thumbs for forum posts!!!

--Mike L.

More
29 Apr 2008 11:02 #5481 by mikelawson
Welcome aboard, man. You can throw that 2 drink minimum Barnes was talking about out the window when playing Talisman, however.

I think I'm going to have to score a copy of Dragonlords sometime in the next year when my P500s start to come through.

--Mike L.

More
29 Apr 2008 17:28 #5522 by jdezom
Replied by jdezom on topic Re:Hi everybody!
Schweig! wrote:

Are you wearing the official BGG T-shirt?

It's actually a shirt featuring Beaker of The Muppet Show fame. But I can see the similarity.

More
30 Apr 2008 01:16 #5546 by Horacio Silva
Replied by Horacio Silva on topic Re:Hi everybody!
mikelawson wrote:

I think I'm going to have to score a copy of Dragonlords sometime in the next year when my P500s start to come through.

--Mike L.

So you also want to get a marriage proposal from Robert Martin?

H

More
30 Apr 2008 08:47 #5563 by mikelawson
Horacio Silva wrote:

mikelawson wrote:

--Mike L.

H

Given what's happened in the Southwest, I think it's safe to say that polygamy is frowned on here in the States.

--Mike L.

More
02 May 2008 18:51 #5756 by BigLizard
Replied by BigLizard on topic Re:Hi everybody!
mikelawson wrote:

Horacio Silva wrote:

mikelawson wrote:

--Mike L.

H

Given what's happened in the Southwest, I think it's safe to say that polygamy is frowned on here in the States.

--Mike L.

Damn. And I was just about to run out and get a copy myself.

BillN

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.913 seconds