October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Re:Where have all the new designs gone?

More
16 May 2008 14:26 #6520 by Dogmatix

MWChapel wrote:
Guess what? You can replace Eurogames with AT and you will have the same level of truthiness.

And it's pretty clear he was heading to that point with a discussion about hybrid designs before his Ritalin crapped out.

moss_icon wrote:
And especially wargames, but wargamers don't really care (for the most part).

I think wargames have generally been more about subject matter over mechanics throughout their history. And, though this may just be my bias showing through, I think the impact of changes to/new developments in mechanics has had a more profound impact on wargames than the other 2 genres.

Mark Herman's We the People/For The People/Hannibal triumvirate probably had as great an impact on wargames as Settlers did on the hobby game niche (though, with the demise of Avalon Hill and SPI, it's a much smaller niche)--it spawned an entire new form of consim gaming. After that, it's been little more than refining the system in some fashion. This is one of the reasons why I find Simmons' games so compelling--it strikes me that he's hit upon the next real innovation [although I suspect some would argue that it's just a glorified refinement of what Columbia has been doing since 1972. I find myself interested in Bonaparte @ Marengo and NT--though I have next to no interest in Napoleonic gaming--where the Columbia games continue to leave me cold, no matter what they do].

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2008 14:26 #6521 by Dogmatix
Uhm...there was a thread here when I started this post. I swear....

More
16 May 2008 14:29 #6522 by Schweig!
This thread was said to move to the front page. I hope all comments are moved, too.

More
16 May 2008 14:32 - 16 May 2008 14:35 #6524 by moss_icon
Dogmatix wrote:

I think wargames have generally been more about subject matter over mechanics throughout their history. And, though this may just be my bias showing through, I think the impact of changes to/new developments in mechanics has had a more profound impact on wargames than the other 2 genres. .

Agreed on all points. Wargame designers seem to have the most tricks up their sleeve of all, then again in a genre that has covered all the bases (how many Bulge games?), you need to bring something new to the party or 50 50 year olds will hrumph in a Bergsian manner and punt your design to the uncharted backwaters of Consimworld.
Last edit: 16 May 2008 14:35 by moss_icon.

More
16 May 2008 14:33 #6525 by Michael Barnes
Mark Herman's We the People/For The People/Hannibal triumvirate probably had as great an impact on wargames as Settlers did on the hobby game niche (though, with the demise of Avalon Hill and SPI, it's a much smaller niche)--it spawned an entire new form of consim gaming.

Hey Dogmatix- write an article about this, won't you? That's a great idea.

More
16 May 2008 14:40 #6527 by Ken B.
I was asked to delete the original thread by the OP, and he wanted everyone to save their comments for then. I deleted his post but it took all but the topmost item you see here, and that was by accident.

There were only five comments thus far, with three of those being by the OP, and two of *those* being "SHUT UP! SAVE IT FOR THE FRONT PAGE! DELETE THIS THREAD~!"

More
16 May 2008 14:43 - 16 May 2008 14:44 #6528 by Dogmatix
Michael Barnes wrote:

Mark Herman's We the People/For The People/Hannibal triumvirate probably had as great an impact on wargames as Settlers did on the hobby game niche (though, with the demise of Avalon Hill and SPI, it's a much smaller niche)--it spawned an entire new form of consim gaming.

Hey Dogmatix- write an article about this, won't you? That's a great idea.

I'll see what I can do. Some of it would be muy half-baked as there's a huge gap in my wargaming experience from when I last had a regular F2F opponent and played WtP and Hannibal in the early 90s (and Squad Leader well before that) to when I finally got over my innate distaste for soloing games and picked the hobby back up a couple of years ago (you can only surpress the inner nerd for so long; subsequently found some local folks who are interested in the hobby too). I suspect, however, that the chit-heads here will step up and fill in the blanks in the discussion (and call bullshit where they see it).
Last edit: 16 May 2008 14:44 by Dogmatix.

More
16 May 2008 14:43 #6530 by Dogmatix
Ken B. wrote:

I was asked to delete the original thread by the OP, and he wanted everyone to save their comments for then. I deleted his post but it took all but the topmost item you see here, and that was by accident.

There were only five comments thus far, with three of those being by the OP, and two of *those* being "SHUT UP! SAVE IT FOR THE FRONT PAGE! DELETE THIS THREAD~!"

Sorry, I was in the edit window when all that started. Doh. Shutting up now.

More
16 May 2008 14:44 #6531 by Ken B.
Apologies, folks. I should've just locked the thread instead of trying to delete it. I am sorry to those who had comments that were lost.

If Mad Dog gives us a front page article to work with, we'll heap the comments on it then.

More
16 May 2008 14:52 #6535 by moss_icon
This is fucked, what kind of moderator are you! Worse than BGG!

More
16 May 2008 14:54 #6537 by Ken B.
moss_icon wrote:

This is fucked, what kind of moderator are you! Worse than BGG!

YOU TAKE THAT BACK, YOU SON OF A BITCH~!!!

*grin*

More
16 May 2008 14:58 #6541 by moss_icon
what are you grinning for? i am fucking serious here! for fucking reals! JESUS CHRIST I COULD PUNCH THE INTERNET IN THE FACE RIGHT NOW.

More
16 May 2008 14:59 #6543 by Ken B.
I'm working on a device that will let you kick people square in the scrotum, right over the internet. I'm adding you to the beta list.

More
16 May 2008 15:02 #6544 by moss_icon
good man.

More
16 May 2008 15:47 #6559 by Dogmatix
Ken B. wrote:

I'm working on a device that will let you kick people square in the scrotum, right over the internet. I'm adding you to the beta list.

And so how is development going on the Rochambeautron 2000 anyway?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds