October 09, 2023
2489 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

A New Low--A Game About Bait!!!

More
21 May 2008 11:07 #6836 by Deleted User 1

Yes, the Football Titan, Terry Bradshaw has called Sushi Bait! So with the upcoming release of the game "Wasabi" I am pretty sure it is not in the lineup for play at a poker night at Terry's house! HA!

It is getting to the point where the Boardgaming hobby is getting embarrassing! First a game about Tulip Bulbs, now Sushi!

When I see games like "Wasabi" it makes me have a new found respect for classic games like poker, backgammon and dominoes!

Note to designers: If Sushi is the best you can do for a theme, stick with strictly abstract!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2008 11:40 #6841 by Michael Barnes
Ah, but Steve...this is a "cute" theme...totally a marketing thing. They do this so boardgamers can arrange entire evenings around a game like this. I mean, how clever would it be to invite your friends over for some good old fashioned homemade sushi...and cap the evening off with a game of WASABI? Whoa ho ho!

Plus it attracts the Japanophiles...you know, those lonely 18 year old girls who dress like cats and increase their girth by consuming prodigious amounts of really cruddy tasting Japanese candies like Pocky and Yan-Yan. They'll see this and think "Kawaii! A game about sushi!"

Games about food in general are no good. Except BURGER TIME and FOOD FIGHT.

More
21 May 2008 11:45 #6842 by Chapel
Michael Barnes wrote:

Games about food in general are no good. Except BURGER TIME and FOOD FIGHT.

And Fast Food Franchise.

More
21 May 2008 11:54 #6843 by Deleted User 1
Check out BGN and Larry Levy's and Eric's praise for the game.

What more needs to be said?

More
21 May 2008 12:13 #6845 by Michael Barnes
FFG needs to get on the ball and license up BURGER TIME for a big box board game. That would be awesome. It could change the "food games suck "paradigm for the better.

More
21 May 2008 13:02 - 21 May 2008 13:03 #6853 by Bulwyf
I think I'd rather keep my money and just go eat sushi and drink beer. Actual wasabi is teh awesome.

-Will
Last edit: 21 May 2008 13:03 by Bulwyf.

More
21 May 2008 14:01 #6856 by Aarontu
Michael Barnes wrote:

Ah, but Steve...this is a "cute" theme...totally a marketing thing. They do this so boardgamers can arrange entire evenings around a game like this. I mean, how clever would it be to invite your friends over for some good old fashioned homemade sushi...and cap the evening off with a game of WASABI? Whoa ho ho!

Plus it attracts the Japanophiles...you know, those lonely 18 year old girls who dress like cats and increase their girth by consuming prodigious amounts of really cruddy tasting Japanese candies like Pocky and Yan-Yan. They'll see this and think "Kawaii! A game about sushi!"

Kekeke!!!

More
21 May 2008 14:18 #6860 by Deleted User 1

I am glad I have Barnes to keep me up to date on all these fragmented groups like Japanophiles. I have never heard of them are they Goth rejects?

I prefer rugged individuality to membership in some clique

More
21 May 2008 14:46 #6861 by ChristopherMD
Michael Barnes wrote:

Games about food in general are no good.

Apples To Apples is a good party game.

More
21 May 2008 14:47 #6862 by jeb
Rugged Individualists is just another clique.

Give Me The Brain is a solid entry in the food-themed genre. I would also like to mention that I had Burgertime on my NES and it was the worst fucking worst game ever worst. The controls were just FUCKED. I dug it at the arcade and all, but man if you missed that turn by a micrometer you would just stop and an egg would be up your ass. It was a Data East game, which also cursed my youth with Karnov, Kid Niki, and Side Pocket. Fucking sucked, every one.

More
21 May 2008 15:12 #6864 by Rliyen
jeb wrote:

Rugged Individualists is just another clique.

Give Me The Brain is a solid entry in the food-themed genre. I would also like to mention that I had Burgertime on my NES and it was the worst fucking worst game ever worst. The controls were just FUCKED. I dug it at the arcade and all, but man if you missed that turn by a micrometer you would just stop and an egg would be up your ass. It was a Data East game, which also cursed my youth with Karnov, Kid Niki, and Side Pocket. Fucking sucked, every one.

but, but, but... Kid Niki was a RADICAL NINJA!!!!!

More
21 May 2008 15:17 #6865 by Michael Barnes
KARNOV! Holy shit...no wonder video games were for the weak and lonely in the 80s..."Hey guys, I've got this idea for a game about a fire breathing Cossack!"

KID NIKI...what a travesty...I bought that one with birthday money one year, excited over the hot pink box and the promise of "radical ninja" antics...certainly the game was based on some kind of cut-rate anime thing or something. That's the only explanation for its horribleness.

You left off TAG TEAM WRESTLING, where you do a hold you have cycle through a menu with the better moves being way down on the list.

More
21 May 2008 15:37 #6866 by Deleted User 1
I have been waiting for Legendary Wings and Super Smash TV to appear on the Wii virtual console!

More
21 May 2008 15:47 #6868 by jeb
Legendary Wings was slathered in awesome sauce. I loved that game. Super Smash TV, also excellent. Neither of which were made by Data East, which as you recall, made only shitty games on consoles.

That said, Tag Team Wrestling brought the world the "Strong Bads", which leads naturally to... THIS! . So, maybe Data East isn't all bad.

Nah, they're all bad.

More
21 May 2008 15:56 #6869 by Deleted User 1

Legendary Wings was slathered in awesome sauce. I loved that game

Yes, Legendary Wings marked the highest peak on the NES system for me. I was buying games right and left and I came home after buying the game ready to try it out only to see my brother already playing the game! We both had bought a copy!

I quickly went back to Toy's R Us and they had a strict NO RETURN policy on any opened video game. Of course I opened it in the car to check out the booklet! HA!

I still remember the stern look the return lady gave me but I returned the stern look and she gave in giving me a refund.

I remember "Legendary Wings" being very challenging and enjoyed the thrill of the power of the "Phoenix". However, I remember the ending as rather anti-climatic.

But who could beat the ending of "Bionic Commando" on the original NES system, which when it arrives on the Virtual Console my NES collection will be complete.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.702 seconds