October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

My first math trade

More
22 May 2008 01:27 #6878 by metalface13
So I finally signed on for my first math trade on BGG. It is also a math trade for novices http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31647

So I put up my items I want to get rid of. My question is, when I send in my want list, do I just list all the items I want? Or do I say what I want for each of my stuff? Like for Item A I want Item X and for Item B I want Item Y. If that's the case do I need to list wants that would seem reasonable (I know stuff gets traded through a chain) but could I saw I want Starcraft for my copy of Wreckage? That sounds totally unreasonable but would be totally awesome if that's what I got.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2008 02:02 #6879 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:My first math trade
You send in a list of items for each of yours - of course you don't want Wreackage for your Starcraft. You make a list of every game you would find acceptable for trade to that particular game and in preferential order ... as if you were doing a 1 -1 with someone.

Example:

100: 7 167 34
101: 7 167 34 51 99
103: 99 5 103 77

The syntax my be different in your trade so read the trade description carefully.

More
22 May 2008 02:08 #6880 by Octavian
Replied by Octavian on topic Re:My first math trade
Also, always assume you will get your last choice. I've heard too many stories of people being disappointed because they got their last choice for a particular game, but if they were disappointed with what they got they should have never listed it as an option in the first place.

More than once I've only listed one thing as a want for something I had the list, and more than once it didn't end up being part of the final chain. The only people disappointed in that scenario, however, are the people who had my game on their wishlists.

Good luck!

-MMM

More
22 May 2008 06:34 #6882 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:My first math trade
Also check for syntax that allows for different options.

Example, there are certain math trades that allow you to trade game A ONLY if you get game B in return-- stuff like that.

We have a Montreal math trade going here every now and again run by Willy the Snitch, and it's a really good idea: No postage, get to inspect the game before you go home with it.

Local math trades GOOD.

More
22 May 2008 08:49 #6885 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:My first math trade
You definitely will get the last place item on your list. I've made a note every time of the items I'm listing, "This is the item I want the least of these that I'm listing" and every time I get that one.

I've even downloaded the play at home client and messed with the results after the trades are done...and removing that 'least wanted' item will, every time, progress me to the 'next least wanted' item. It's amazing how that works out.

Just make sure that even if an item is your least wanted, it's still something you'd be willing to take in trade, and you won't be disappointed.

More
22 May 2008 10:29 #6895 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:My first math trade
The details on this math Trade need to be figured in too. I for example, am trading away TWO HEROSCAPE Master Sets, which is going to run me a solid $25+ to ship to most of the country. So, I need to bump up the value of what I'm willing to let it go for a little bit.

Th best thing about Math Trades if they give you a decent chance to move out games you just don't play. Those games take a real hit in value for me, so even if I payed $30 for it, I will trade that thing away for a game that costs half as much if I'll play it. That commitment to NOT wanting your game anymore is important. If you put DUNE on the list, you could have your pick of the selection--but you'd be trading away DUNE. I'll do a sanity check on your wantlist if you want. I'm jeblucas over there.

More
22 May 2008 13:27 #6926 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:My first math trade
We had a good UK Trade run every two months on BGG which I used to get a good trade every 2nd one or so (they weren't that big), but all the mainland europeans wanted to join so they opened it up ..... fair enough, except it is predominately eruos being traded now and the odds of getting any of the few AT-ish games included are too long (three trades run this year with 5 games in each time and haven't traded squat) so I think I've done my final one.

More
23 May 2008 00:45 #6951 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:My first math trade
The question I was trying to ask is I posted some pretty cheap stuff on there. But there's lots of more costly stuff I want, not so much of the stuff in the same price range. Like would I just come off as a jerk posting my want list:

Wreckage: Starcraft, Blackbeard, Imperial

right?

Something like

Wreckage: Poison, CIA vs. KGB, Cave Troll

That would be more appropriate right?

More
23 May 2008 00:47 #6952 by Octavian
I don't think it would come off as being a jerk. You won't actually get anything unless it works out that your games are necessary for a bigger chain. If you're happy with the "value appropriate" games then by all means list them, but you're not hurting anyone by aiming higher.

-MMM

More
23 May 2008 01:46 #6956 by metalface13
Aim high! Air Force! And the worst is, I just don't get anything and I don't trade my stuff.

So I guess what I don't understand is why make a list of stuff for each of my items and not just a general want list? I guess because I might be more partial to some of my stuff? Like I'm not willing to accept Game B because I love Game A so much. But I'll trade Game C for Game A?

More
23 May 2008 17:00 #7004 by Octavian
Imagine you are offering (separately) a copy of TI:3 and a copy of the Puerto Rico: Expansion. I reckon you'd want to have separate want lists for the two then...

More
25 May 2008 19:13 - 25 May 2008 19:13 #7065 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:My first math trade
I'm in the this Math trade too, and I want to thank the FortressAT members I have BuddyListed for filling out Ratings. The Geekbuddy Analysis is critical for me in determining whether or not a game I've never heard of can make the cut for something like Pirate King. Who knew that Mississippi Queen is well-received? I even have some Euro-crazy folks on there to see where I may be led astray. There are some games where I see 8! 7.9! Then a bunch of 4's, 3's, and maybe a 2! Hansa comes to mind there. Thos I have learned to avoid as games that I just won't dig.
Last edit: 25 May 2008 19:13 by jeb.

More
26 May 2008 00:14 #7071 by metalface13
Well, looks like I'm getting Lord of the Rings: Confrontation (the basic version) for my copy of Scarab Lords. I'm pretty excited. I didn't like Scarab Lords much and I've been wanting to check out Confrontation for quite a while. Plus I got Scarab Lords for only $5 during one of those FFG sales.

Alas, my Star Wars Miniatures Starship Battles and Wreckage didn't go anywhere.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds