October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Great Upcoming Game!!!

More
15 Jul 2008 13:29 #8655 by ChristopherMD
Its called Game Z although I don't think that's the final title. I'm not really supposed to say much about it. Although I did get permission to post that I played the prototype and liked it. Its really too bad I can't say more because its easily the best game I've played this year thus far. Perhaps the best for the past several years even. This game could be THE ONE if you know what I mean. I would play it several times a day without a second thought. Once its published it'll replace all of my other games because they aren't fit to sit on the same shelf. Not that Game Z is a shelf-sitter. Just the opposite actually. You won't need a spot on your shelf because this game will always be on the table.

Full disclosure: I played this at a private session last night with the designer's fourth cousin's best friend's roommate from college who is a close friend of mine with a minor stake in its sales profits. However, I am not shilling and only say I loved the game because I did in fact love the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2008 14:06 #8656 by Michael Barnes
I too have played GAME Z, as I'm sure you will all remember from post in which I pointed out that I have and you have not. I'm glad to see that Mad Dog has been allowed to play it as well and I'm sure he will share my enthusiasm for GAME Z as evidenced by his heartfelt, sincere, and earnest endorsement of the game.

I recommend that everyone go into the Palm Pilot on which they record their games played and clear off some space to track your wins and losses of GAME Z because it is all you will want to play for at least a month.

Welcome to the fold, Mad Dog!

More
15 Jul 2008 15:28 #8659 by Druen Kree
I just want to know if "Game Z" is going to be offensive in anyway ,like is there slavery,fighting,player elimination,dice ( I dislike the randomness of dice games),Player interaction,un-PC themes, and box farts.You see I am over-sensitive and if Game Z has any of the so noted items in it I will boycot it ,send nasty E-mails to the game designer,Blog about its downfalls 24-7 and Judge people who do play it very harshly.

More
15 Jul 2008 16:39 #8662 by TheDukester
Playing time is 10 minutes or less, right? That way I can get 12 games in two hours, post a review, session reports, and a picture of my cat in the box-lid to BGG, log all of my plays via iPhone, and then move on to the next Flavor Of The Month.

This is very important to me; if Game Z goes 11 minutes or longer, it will clearly be broken.

More
15 Jul 2008 17:59 #8669 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Great Upcoming Game!!!
I haven't been allowed to play but I must say I worry about the mauve and pistache colour scheme of the playing pieces. I mean, they are fine for the 'resources' (I am contractually forbidden from disclosing which resources are actually included in the game), but it goes badly with the bold colours on the map.

Also, I think the cards are of mediocre quality. Although I could not see them from a dead angle (in a picture on a site that, regrettably, I am not allowed to tell about), my estimate is that they are more of the thickness of the Citadels expansion, than the original game. Surely an alarming sign.

A friend of mine is also complaining that the lieutenant miniatures that were supposed to be added to the delivery of ypu pre-order, are late and likely to be broken. I can't actually believe that Winsome Games would send out such a great game with such shite components!

More
15 Jul 2008 18:50 #8678 by SusanR
Replied by SusanR on topic Re:Great Upcoming Game!!!
I heard that Game Z is being published by Maypole Games with a fixed price. Therefore, I refuse to buy it and any other games ever published by this evil company as well as all other games with a z in the name or games published in May. And I plan to go on the internet and bitterly defend my stance with my vast expertise in the game industry. Heck, I spent $8,496.72 on discounted internet game purchases last month alone so I should know!

More
15 Jul 2008 20:48 - 15 Jul 2008 20:51 #8681 by Michael Barnes
Susan, it's really a shame you didn't hit the $10K mark- you would have been considered to be in on the next round of playtesting for GAME Z. The designer is looking for a woman other than Valerie Puntam to playtest it but he has not been successful in locating the other two or three distaff gamers.

Maypole Games has been discussed as a possible publisher, but it is more thank likely that it will be picked up by either Warfrog or Winsome- those are publishers who have a lot of esteem and it is completely understandable why their games are limited editions and a hundred dollars. Their games look no fun, and the LAST thing we want is for people to view GAME Z as just a dumb old board game like (heh) MONOPOLY. Plus the added typos will provide us with plenty of fodder for discussion on the internet, which is more important than the game itself.

Jur- gods sake man, the last thing we need is a Precog stirring the pot before the damn thing even comes out. When you saw into the future and were able to forsee these "issues" (I prefer to think of them as "challenges"), you obviously didn't see- a la Ghost of Christmas Future- the financial woe and emotional hardship that your reportage will wreck upon the designer and his family when the game sells 3000 copies instead of 4000, assuming that 1000 people have enough faith in your precognitive abilities to cancel their preorders. In the future I rather like the components and I think they are quite nice.

Druen Kree- unless clever mechanics, an agreeable, neglible theme, and family friendly gameplay offend you, you will be safe. The rules are too short and the theme too vague to offend anyone. There's no "he" in the game, only "s/he's". The game condemns war, hatred, and fascism as well as mean people.

It is time to get excited people...this will be the NUMBER ONE GAME.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2008 20:51 by Michael Barnes.

More
15 Jul 2008 21:01 #8682 by hacksword
Replied by hacksword on topic Re:Great Upcoming Game!!!
I'm intrigued by Game Z's incentive grid, it sounds like there is a plethora of ambiguity to manipulate. I fear the perspicacity vectors may be to linear, however. Is Game Z Eulerian?

More
15 Jul 2008 22:58 #8684 by Michael Barnes
GAME Z is all things to all people. Let's leave it at that.

More
15 Jul 2008 23:49 #8686 by TheDukester
Are Game Z microbadges available yet?

I'd like five, please ... that way I can make a neat pattern (or maybe spell something out) below my custom Christian-cross-with-Agricola-in-the-background avatar.

More
16 Jul 2008 00:17 #8688 by Octavian
Replied by Octavian on topic Re:Great Upcoming Game!!!
WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More
16 Jul 2008 01:17 #8695 by vialiy
Replied by vialiy on topic Re:Great Upcoming Game!!!
I hope Game Z's cubes are of the right size for my cube sleeves, otherwise I will not be pleased. Also, the weight-to-price ratio better be lower than I expect, or you'll hear from me.

More
16 Jul 2008 08:09 #8696 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Great Upcoming Game!!!
Next week's weekly trash - GAME Z.

(It's not technically AT, but I think we can all make an exception for this game!)

More
16 Jul 2008 09:17 #8698 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:Great Upcoming Game!!!
Alls I know is that if Game Z ever comes out with an expansion, that the colors better be DEAD ON ACCURATE or I'll never buy another game from that company/publisher/designer/country again.

More
16 Jul 2008 09:22 #8699 by Michael Barnes
my custom Christian-cross-with-Agricola-in-the-background avatar.

AGRICOLA was a false prophet. GAME Z is bona fide. GAME Z died on the cross for the hobby. The biggest question is whether you should put the badge first (putting GAME Z first) or in the center (a GAME Z-centered life).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds