October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Welcome to Colditz Castle

More
25 Jul 2008 12:41 #9086 by Schweig!

From an advertisement magazine of the German Youth Hostel Federation:

"The English Camp on Castle Colditz in Saxonia combines holiday pleasure with learning success. A diverse entertainment program and the historical setting turn your sojourn into something very special.

A special project celebrates its premier on Castle Colditz this summer: the 'English Camp at Colditz Castle'. Between July and October teenagers have the opportunity to deepen their command of English on the historical castle. 'The ideas is coupled with the high extent of the castle's fame in English speaking countries', says Sandy Dörner, in charge of program management and public relations. The castle became famous through it's legendary prison camp, whose masonry held captive famous officers such as Churchill's nephew during World War Two. The Oflag IVc, as it was officially called, was deemed to be a maximum security prison. It is being said that over 300 escapes were tried earning Colditz the byname "escape academy".

But the castle located in the Saxon Muldental, which is about 30 miles from Leipzig, offers the language students many more things apart from ambiance. Sandy Dörner says, 'Our ample entertainment program turns learning into a pleasure and the stay into something unforgettable.' One castle and two city sightseeing trips in English combine the exciting history of this town with a language holiday. A visit of the town's own adventure pool, a boat tour and the viewing of English films in the local cinema provide lots of fun and entertainment during the one-week camp. And this is what it's all about: The laid-back atmosphere provides for relaxed learning und furthermore lively contents are conveyed, which will make it very easy for language fans to get along with in an English speaking country. 'The concept is still quite new, but it is received frenetically. Many registrations were already arrived, which makes us very proud', says Dörner and is sure, that the demand will even rise in the future."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2008 16:11 #9096 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:Welcome to Colditz Castle
Uh. I don't get it.

This is reference to something?

More
25 Jul 2008 16:28 - 25 Jul 2008 16:28 #9098 by moss_icon
colditz used to be a PoW camp. the post is highlighting the humour in what it is being used for now and particularly some of the language used in the description, i suspect.

plus there is a boardgame called escape from colditz.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2008 16:28 by moss_icon.

More
25 Jul 2008 23:20 #9108 by Aarontu
Plus, that's where Mike Barnes played GAME Z. It's a pretty historical place.

More
28 Jul 2008 09:11 #9163 by Schweig!
Well, I translated the ad myself, but I tried to be close to the original text. The wording really is very ambiguous.

That reminds me: With all those "Carcassonne played at Carcassonne", "Caylus for sale in Caylus" and "Power Grid held in front of a power plant" images on the geek, where is the one featuring "Escape from Colditz played at Colditz Castle"?

More
28 Jul 2008 10:26 #9169 by Shellhead
Boardgames are verboten at Colditz Castle.

More
28 Jul 2008 17:20 #9199 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:Welcome to Colditz Castle
I wanna play Ti3 on a spaceship. (or StarCraft) (or Doom)

They need to hurry up Spaceship 2 or whatever they are calling that Xprize thing. On the other hand, I bet all the bits in weightloss would be a F'ing nightmare.

That's it. FFG has no future in space... unless we develop velcro bits or magnetic bits or something...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds