October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Z-man sold to Filosofia

More
26 Jun 2011 17:00 #98564 by lfisher
Strange times...

Reports from origins that Filosofia has bought z-man games. Zev to remain.

www.trictrac.net/index.php3?id=jeux&rub=...inf=detail&ref=10335

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/668107/filo...-buys-up-z-man-games

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2011 19:24 #98569 by daveroswell
I truly hope this isn't true, but it makes sense if it is. I guess this puts the hammer down on a Z Con.

Mr. Loter? Anything you can say?

More
26 Jun 2011 19:26 #98570 by Gary Sax
Congrats to Zev, I hope he made some real money on the transaction. He built a sweet business out of nothing.

Who knows what it means for them, sounds like things will stay the course for the short term with him still there.... hope they keep taking risks with their games, I'd hate to think that's what made him sell (ie Earth Reborn Tanga).

More
26 Jun 2011 19:52 #98572 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re: Z-man sold to Filosofia
Hmm... i hope Zev made whatever figure he was shooting for... I really hope everything's okay.

More
26 Jun 2011 19:59 #98573 by Schweig!
As someone said on BGG, this is probably the best explanation why Earth Reborn was dumped on Tanga.

More
26 Jun 2011 21:47 #98574 by OldHippy
WHERE IS ZEV?

He needs to be more forthcoming with why ER is being dumped. It's the only game of theirs I give a shit about personally (although M&M might be awesome). Quench the rumor mill and give us some details.

More
27 Jun 2011 03:11 #98581 by moofrank
Earth Reborn on Tanga is easy. I think Zev kind of took a bath on Earth Reborn. Expensive game, printed something like 7500 copies. Hasn't sold that well at all.

M&M is awesome. Ascending Empires is awesome. Road Kill Rally is awesome. I adore Inca Empire. That's long before we start talking about anything Vlaada has been involved with. He has nice ties with several of the Japanese publishers who are doing great things, as well as Lookout Games (who tend to make very interesting Euros), and has picked up some of the excellent and (their loss) abandoned by the English community Kosmos line of games.

...of course he also published the English version of Hansa Teutonica. That is easily the most long, dry, soulless Euro I've ever played. It has quite a few small twists on existing Euro mechanics. And perhaps 20 different ways of scoring points. I could almost use it as a test to work out who I want to play games with...except that I know way many rather pleasant people who are fans of that abomination.

More
27 Jun 2011 03:13 #98582 by lfisher
Replied by lfisher on topic Re: Z-man sold to Filosofia

moofrank wrote: Earth Reborn on Tanga is easy. I think Zev kind of took a bath on Earth Reborn. Expensive game, printed something like 7500 copies. Hasn't sold that well at all.

M&M is awesome. Ascending Empires is awesome. Road Kill Rally is awesome. I adore Inca Empire. That's long before we start talking about anything Vlaada has been involved with. He has nice ties with several of the Japanese publishers who are doing great things, as well as Lookout Games (who tend to make very interesting Euros), and has picked up some of the excellent and (their loss) abandoned by the English community Kosmos line of games.

...of course he also published the English version of Hansa Teutonica. That is easily the most long, dry, soulless Euro I've ever played. It has quite a few small twists on existing Euro mechanics. And perhaps 20 different ways of scoring points. I could almost use it as a test to work out who I want to play games with...except that I know way many rather pleasant people who are fans of that abomination.

Yet I bet Hansa Teutonica is a great seller, right?

My hope is that the tanga sale gives it some more word of mouth marketing and picks up. It really just needs the word to spread. It has broken the BGG top 100, so that may also help.

More
27 Jun 2011 03:18 #98584 by Gary Sax
Hansa Teutonica made me want to kill myself at Trashfest #1.

More
27 Jun 2011 03:33 #98585 by OldHippy

moofrank wrote: Earth Reborn on Tanga is easy. I think Zev kind of took a bath on Earth Reborn. Expensive game, printed something like 7500 copies. Hasn't sold that well at all.

I'm sure he has printed dozens of great games, but I just don't find any of them interesting for me. But I'm not a game slut anymore, especially with the child, now I only pick a small handfull of games that really appeal to me and focus on playing just those... and my favorite Vlaadaa games are not printed by Z-Man.

The days of playing games just to discover new mechanics or stay up to date are GONE... I'm happy with my collection as is. But I was praying for an Earth Reborn expansion. Not because it's incomplete but because I wanted more factions and the ability to make sprawling 3-4 player games with it. This news and the Tanga bullshit are crushing my dreams.

More
27 Jun 2011 12:59 #98594 by SuperflyPete
It's confirmed. He's got a 3-year deal where he stays with the company, but not as an owner. The money was apparently too good for him to walk from.

Anyhow, nothing is going to change, so this really is a non-story. At least that's the story I've gotten.

FWIW: Origins was fun, but no GenCon.

Best Origins Moment: Getting a buddy's badge and heading to MayDay's booth to loudly ask Seth, "Hey, aren't you that guy who sells damaged boards to people that order new product?" Sure glad there weren't 2 full tables of people playing it at the time. All eyes went to Seth and all mouths were agape.

It was an epic moment.

More
27 Jun 2011 13:11 #98595 by stormseeker75
That's super ballsy, Pete. I applaud you.

More
27 Jun 2011 13:21 #98598 by Matt Thrower

SuperflyTNT wrote: Anyhow, nothing is going to change, so this really is a non-story.

Well, this would explain why he's suddenly gone totally silent after promising me several review copies, none of which have yet been forthcoming. So it's not "nothing" that's changed, but perhaps nothing from the customers point of view.

More
27 Jun 2011 13:24 #98599 by san il defanso
It may not change anything from a pragmatic standpoint, but I think it's kind of a bummer. I really liked that Z-Man was a purely American hobby game company, because I think the market really needs that. FFG can't do everything, and they've proved recently that they don't intend to anyway. There's still RGG printing every major Euro title in the US, but aside from Dominion, they have almost zero original titles.

More
27 Jun 2011 13:38 #98601 by Ska_baron
So what happens after Zev's 3 years? To him and the company?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds