October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Z-man sold to Filosofia

More
27 Jun 2011 12:59 #98594 by SuperflyPete
It's confirmed. He's got a 3-year deal where he stays with the company, but not as an owner. The money was apparently too good for him to walk from.

Anyhow, nothing is going to change, so this really is a non-story. At least that's the story I've gotten.

FWIW: Origins was fun, but no GenCon.

Best Origins Moment: Getting a buddy's badge and heading to MayDay's booth to loudly ask Seth, "Hey, aren't you that guy who sells damaged boards to people that order new product?" Sure glad there weren't 2 full tables of people playing it at the time. All eyes went to Seth and all mouths were agape.

It was an epic moment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2011 13:11 #98595 by stormseeker75
That's super ballsy, Pete. I applaud you.

More
27 Jun 2011 13:21 #98598 by Matt Thrower

SuperflyTNT wrote: Anyhow, nothing is going to change, so this really is a non-story.

Well, this would explain why he's suddenly gone totally silent after promising me several review copies, none of which have yet been forthcoming. So it's not "nothing" that's changed, but perhaps nothing from the customers point of view.

More
27 Jun 2011 13:24 #98599 by san il defanso
It may not change anything from a pragmatic standpoint, but I think it's kind of a bummer. I really liked that Z-Man was a purely American hobby game company, because I think the market really needs that. FFG can't do everything, and they've proved recently that they don't intend to anyway. There's still RGG printing every major Euro title in the US, but aside from Dominion, they have almost zero original titles.

More
27 Jun 2011 13:38 #98601 by Ska_baron
So what happens after Zev's 3 years? To him and the company?

More
27 Jun 2011 13:44 #98602 by SuperflyPete

That's super ballsy, Pete. I applaud you.

You know me well enough to know I simply lack the "give a shit" gene.

So what happens after Zev's 3 years? To him and the company?

Presumably, Zev goes on to live in comfort and enjoy his newfound leisure time, knowing he left behind a tremendous legacy of innovation and success. God bless the man, it's truly the American dream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ehanuise

More
27 Jun 2011 13:54 #98605 by Ska_baron
Yeah, Pete - but what about us poor, all important consumers? WHAT OF US??

And what was the reaction? (Seth's and the crowd's) I'm assuming you're just teasing us before a full write up of your con experience...

More
27 Jun 2011 14:14 #98608 by moofrank
There are some definite implications of the purchase. Z-man is my favorite publisher not just because Zev is groovy, but he takes some pretty risky chances with games he picks up. Sometimes it works out well (Agricola, Pandemic), sometimes not so well.

Zev is now going to have to convince partners to do a game. That is going to change things, but only time is going to really show the extent of those changes.

I think about something like Ascending Empires. That is a GREAT game. My game of the year so far. But has so many risky perils in the concept and production.

More
27 Jun 2011 14:25 #98609 by El Cuajinais
I'm bummed by the news. Too much uncertainty regarding ER for my taste. I think I'm going to buy an extra copy of ER just to have as a backup. Actually I'm bummed on a higher level than that. My favorite game before I met ER was BattleLore and that game was also sold off to another company and never reached its full potential. I agree with Jon that ER most definitely does not need an expansion, but I would have loved for them to keep pumping out stuff anyway. Unlike BattleLore and most games, expansions for ER would not need any new rules because their rules are already super detailed and can encompass almost anything. They could just keep pumping out new equipment cards, map tiles, and characters. Anything for this game would have been auto-buy for me.

I think about the very little replay value offered by Mansions of Madness and the fact that it retailed for the same $80 price point as ER. Yet MoM already has an expansion despite being released after ER. I can't help feeling sad. The game that was deliberately sold incomplete with only 5 scenarios makes a killing and the game that basically included an expansion in the box did not sell well. If the ER system had been tied to a nerdy license, like Star Wars for example, this game could have spurred an entire new company in a niche between boardgames and tabletop games, grabbing people from both. As it is, it was apparently too complex for boardgamers and not pretty enough (uses a board instead of a diorama) for table top gamers. There was some recent praise around here for Mordheim. All those players that say they would love to play Mordheim again would do well to give ER a try. I find ER provides a deeper game experience; as opposed to the average mechanics coupled with the very well written fluff from GW games. And the best part is everything you will ever need is contained in the one game box.

More
27 Jun 2011 16:37 #98616 by stormseeker75
Z-Man has really become my favorite game company because he put out really unique stuff. Zev took chances. Hopefully he can use his eye for unique games and help Filosofia hit that same stride. Congrats to both parties, either way.

Pete's right. That's the American Dream right there.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds