October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Dark Souls III Official Thread

More
12 Apr 2016 19:02 #225774 by Michael Barnes
Alright who is in it...part of the fun of these games are the stories/shared discoveries.

I started a Cleric but realized that I would probably regret it...I don't usually touch magic in these games, usually going for pure melee. So I switched to Pyromancer. So far so good. Hand axe is pretty decent (and quick), fireball hand had been pretty effective.

I love the dude hiding behind the breakable boxes that you see like a mile away. I wanted to say "guy, that trick goes back to Demon's Souls".

First boss wasn't too bad, really kind of a core combat tutorial. First sub-boss I found fell off the stairs running down to me. The real Dark Souls starts here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2016 20:28 #225778 by SaMoKo
Played an Assassin because it's new and shiny. I stumbled out of a cemetary with my trusty Estoc and a worthless fucking spell I'll never use, which is probably why I'm so fucking angry as to slaughter thousands of undead and eat their souls.

My rampage took me to the first boss. It surprised me by doing it's thing, and I didn't much care for it. Truth be told, it scared the shit out of me so I threw some firebombs I found at it like a goddamn coward until it stopped moving. After that I somehow burst into flames (probably due to the bombs), and ran screaming into the arms of a woman in the firelink shrine. She seemed unmoved by my being engulfed in fire, callously banishing me to a wall filled with flesh statues and dragons. It's awful here, but my spell still fucking sucks so I rampaged forward.

Then I fell to my death down a ladder. Lol. Should have used my fucking useless spell that prevents falling damage. Fuck.

More
12 Apr 2016 21:52 #225779 by Michael Barnes
What about that rock candy monster right near the start, that bastard just rolled me down.

More
12 Apr 2016 21:55 #225780 by Gary Sax
Hmmm... maybe as summer comes I can get in on this. It'd be nice to be in the first wave before this whole thing is totally figured out. I'm playing Salt and Santuary right now, I'd like to finish that. Also, DSIII will get properly patched in the meantime too, which will be nice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
12 Apr 2016 22:21 #225783 by Black Barney
I'm skipping this as I heard frame rate was scarier than the actual game

More
12 Apr 2016 22:25 #225784 by SaMoKo

Michael Barnes wrote: What about that rock candy monster right near the start, that bastard just rolled me down.

I don't remember that. Was that in the tutorial area behind the message that said "turn back"? Because I listened to the message lol. They always toss in a ridiculously tough creature for the time in the tutorial area
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Apr 2016 06:39 #225788 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Dark Souls III Official Thread
I started as whatever the class is that gets a scimitar. Did the same in DS1, and both times, got trolled by the tutorial message that tells you how to kick, except the scimitar isn't able to kick. Dark Souls!

Took me a half dozen tries to get past the tutorial boss. Had no idea how to deal with his second stage, but eventually managed to somehow get him stuck up against a wall where I could just wail on him. Killed him, but still don't really know how to deal with him. The normal enemies that are like him still just pound me flat and I've got no clue. I'm still in the Wall area, making slow progress forward between deaths. I think the next stop is dealing with the fatso with the halberd. I'm sure that'll go super duper well for me! At least I found a 100% phys block shield and a flask shard!

More
13 Apr 2016 07:03 #225789 by SaMoKo

Chaz wrote: I started as whatever the class is that gets a scimitar. Did the same in DS1, and both times, got trolled by the tutorial message that tells you how to kick, except the scimitar isn't able to kick. Dark Souls!

Took me a half dozen tries to get past the tutorial boss. Had no idea how to deal with his second stage, but eventually managed to somehow get him stuck up against a wall where I could just wail on him. Killed him, but still don't really know how to deal with him. The normal enemies that are like him still just pound me flat and I've got no clue. I'm still in the Wall area, making slow progress forward between deaths. I think the next stop is dealing with the fatso with the halberd. I'm sure that'll go super duper well for me! At least I found a 100% phys block shield and a flask shard!

My advice:

Warning: Spoiler!

More
13 Apr 2016 08:51 #225790 by Gary Sax
It'll be weird to go back to Souls after all that Bloodborne, though playing most of DS2 may have prepped me.

I'll really miss the dodge while targeting.

More
13 Apr 2016 11:51 #225797 by Michael Barnes
Shoot, I'm doing plenty of dodge-targeting. Pyro has a pitiful shield but he's pretty quick on the roll. It's not as fast as Bloodborne, but it feels more aggressive and less block-and-poke.

I just fire balled the shit out of the first boss, both forms. Wasn't too hard once I learned his range and animations.

Halberd dude, just keep distance or parry him.

More
27 Apr 2016 13:18 #226612 by Gary Sax
kotaku.com/the-mystery-behind-dark-souls...less-pois-1773373128

Yo, definitely read this if you're playing DS3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
04 May 2016 23:47 #226996 by Gary Sax
So I'm doing this now, I just bought it. I picked the thief class because I have never gone dex melee with light armor. I need to get my rolling down right now, obviously. First boss is murdering me and the knife you start with sucks.

More
05 May 2016 00:00 #226997 by Michael Barnes
Come on, you know what to do. Roll into it and stab it in the ass.

I'm trying to get past the Crystal Sage right now, I think it is the second main boss.

More
05 May 2016 09:12 #227008 by Gary Sax
Yeah, beat him on try #4. Had to get my rolling timing down. 2nd phase is actually quite a bit easier than the first, though in typical Dark Souls style it is scarier looking and insanely more dangerous if you try to roll backwards instead of to the side and/or towards the enemy. Also, the special ability of daggers is badass! The quickstep like Bloodborne! It makes me want to try to use daggers in this game.

Loving the new combat speed in DS3. I don't know if I could go back to DS2 just on that.

More
05 May 2016 12:03 #227032 by Frohike
My son Hunter (12) went full on "Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred Shot Range Model" obsessed with this game. Whenever I walked in the room he would either switch to the Steam Store page for the game or spool up another YouTube Let's Play or review. I'm surprised he didn't leave some sort of marketing propaganda on my pillow.

Anyway, I got the game because I haven't played this series since I beat Demon's Souls back in the PS3 era (got the console mostly for that game). Wouldn't you know it, Hunter has been playing it more than I have. Surprise! I was curious to see if he would push through the first few brick walls that these games inevitably throw at you. After lots of screaming and incredulity (which had me cracking up... but hiding it), he actually acclimated and didn't bounce off of the game. He's progressing now and fully hooked.

I've started on Pyro and beat the first "boss" which as Michael said is basically a combat tutorial thrown into the typical Groundhogs Day Death Loop until the combat is internalized. I preferred the pace of Demon's Souls where this was stretched out across more of the initial level. This one is so compressed that it feels like the game is just daring the uncommitted to alt F4. But it was effective for me. Now I just need to find more time to play this. It'll probably be one of the few video games I play to completion & beyond.

In the meantime, if I hear "NOOOOOOOO!" screamed from across the house, I'll know Hunter is having fun with it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.590 seconds