October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

David Bowie RIP

More
15 Jan 2016 10:34 #220014 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic David Bowie RIP

Michael Barnes wrote: Very clearly he was coping with mortality.

Mercury's late lyrics were the same way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2016 18:25 #220037 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic David Bowie RIP
I don't think most of what I've been seeing about Bowie has been sadness... much more celebration and appreciation for his life and work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
15 Jan 2016 19:44 - 15 Jan 2016 19:46 #220039 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic David Bowie RIP
No no no, I am definitely, unapologetically sad. I have never been so impacted by the death of a rich, privileged celebrity figure that lived an awesome and mostly enviable life. That's irrelevant in terms of why I am sad about his passing. I'm sad because Bowie was a TITANIC figure of cultural impact, a genuine icon and iconoclast and he is someone that has had great personal significance that I certainly do not expect to be shared by everyone. I'm also sad to know that such a creative, progressive force has left the world- and at what seemed to be the beginning of a late-in-life/late-in-career resurgence. Watching his performance in the last two videos, it's just unbelievable that we are watching a dying man. I'm honestly having a hard time coping with the fact that there is nothing more to look forward to from Bowie. And this is after that almost ten year gap between 2004 and 2013 when he was far from the public eye and not producing anything in terms of publically available work. It hits me hard that, for example, when I got to NYC next time I won't be thinking "I wonder where Bowie and his family live" or "I wonder where Bowie eats dinner in this city" and so forth. Just knowing that he was on this planet was a source of inspiration and interest for me.

I don't expect anyone to be as affected as I am. I expect that most people, the vast overwhelming majority out there are not. There are likely people that are MORE affected than me, let alone his family, friends and collaborators.

But I have moved toward more of the celebration/appreciation stage...we played Rock Band last night and went through all of the Bowie songs. There we were in the living room, my son (turned 6 yesterday) and I singing "Ziggy Stardust" while my 4-year old daughter banged on the drums. I played guitar and sang "Space Oddity" and I'm not ashamed that I was choking up the whole time and it felt GOOD to sing that crescendoing "can you hear me, Major Tom?" We get in the car and it's all Bowie, non stop, every track available on Spotify randomly sorted. I watched "The Man Who Fell to Earth" and "Labyrinth" this week and will probably watch "The Prestige" tonight. I've had the DVD video collection on almost non-stop while I'm working. I'm wearing the custom "Low" t-shirt that I had made at one of those T-shirt transfer places like 15 years ago, almost every day. Any time I see a tribute or memorial thing I read it/look at it. Pitchfork had an EXCELLENT article about Bowie's sci-fi connection today- Anthems for the Moon.

Lee isn't necessarily wrong about his assessment- blunt but honest, and I respect that. It's just not my experience with it.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2016 19:46 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Grudunza, ChristopherMD, ThirstyMan, Frohike, SuperFlySwatter

More
16 Jan 2016 02:59 - 16 Jan 2016 03:00 #220043 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic David Bowie RIP
Mind you, Lee, even I have my limits: How fucking lame can you get?

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jan 2016 03:00 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
16 Jan 2016 10:26 #220045 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic David Bowie RIP
"None of your fucking business"

More
16 Jan 2016 13:48 #220048 by SuperFlySwatter
Replied by SuperFlySwatter on topic David Bowie RIP
I'd thumb Barnesy's reply if I could.

I'll say this, I'm definitely enjoying working through Bowies catalogue, I've only really listened to the more famous stuff before so a lot of is new and cool. I never really followed him directly (though have always loved the more famous songs, I mean, some of those are up there on the top shelf) but I really remember his cameo spot on Ricky Gervais extras. I actually have not only been playing Bowie continually on spotify the last few days but keep coming out with stuff like "poor little fat guy, chubby little loser, noones bloody laughing".

Then I saw a youtube clip of him very very early on in the 70s maybe on an american chat show, he had a cane, and looked like he weighed about 6 and a half kilos. Fuck me I'm even more amazed he lived another 50 years and managed to keep belting out music and nobbing a supermodel in his spare time. Definitely a legend if that ever means anything.

Whats cool about Bowie to me is a lot of people gave him stick for being all about the hype and show, but for someone with his status it felt like he kept his face out of most of the crap that the proper glory hogs seem to do, like he had a bit of a mysterious unknown quality, but maybe that was part the era he came up in, and partly me not really being someone who notices that kind of shit until it gets outrageously OTT and unavoidable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

More
16 Jan 2016 16:39 #220054 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic David Bowie RIP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Grudunza, Frohike

More
18 Jan 2016 04:05 - 18 Jan 2016 04:05 #220093 by SuperFlySwatter
Despite his genius (really enjoying catching up on the stuff I missed out on Before), "Dancin in the Street" is one of the biggest crimes against Music in history. It is so bad, it goes past the so bad its good and into a whole new level of bad again. I suspect (or hope) it was some kind of ironic piss take but theres just no excuse for it. I had forgotten how emotionally crushing "Modern Love" is, some very painful memories from my own childhood coupled to the angst ridden pining tone of the song. Fantastic though,
Last edit: 18 Jan 2016 04:05 by SuperFlySwatter.

More
20 Jan 2016 04:46 #220308 by SuperFlySwatter

rock god!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

More
20 Jan 2016 17:44 #220362 by Michael Barnes
Ha ha! I had seen that interview before, I love it. Anecdotally, Bowie loved playing with/lampooning the idea that he was a "rock god". It's funny to me in that Paparazzi picture that he's got a copy of Uncut with one of those silly "top rock icons" or whatever as a feature.

Today is being declared David Bowie Day in NYC, awesome.

I really loved the tribute that Arcade Fire did in New Orleans- they held a big parade with all of these jazz bands playing Bowie songs. Win Butler declared over a megaphone "David Bowie is alive".

Springsteen is doing "Rebel Rebel" on his shows and telling anecdotes of being a broke-ass Jersey kid taking the bus to meet Bowie in Philadelphia.

Pitchfork had a neat article about some of the Bowie nobody ever listens to...all of the pre-Space Oddity stuff he did with Davey Jones and the Lower Third/Riot Squad etc. Some of it is actually quite good, Kinks-y pop. "The Laughing Gnome", I dunno. Maybe not so much that one. But it is worth hearing his formative stuff, he was actually, come to find out, one of the first (if not THE first) to cover Velvet Underground.

Vice had a thing about Mick Rock, Bowie's photographer during the Ziggy years and beyond. Very cool stuff. I want that Taschen book.

I was listening to "Queen Bitch" yesterday and it struck me what an important track that is- not just for Bowie, but for rock n' roll. It is kind of the point at which Bowie really brought forward that Lou Reed/Velvet Underground influence. It reads and sounds like a Lou Reed song, and it's pretty clear that's what he was going for. I almost view that song as a kind of bridge between VU and the whole NYC proto-punk thing and English rock.

Also, I just want to post this picture because I think it is one of the very best rock photographs ever taken. This image just blows me away every time I see it. There's Bowie, looking like a fucking deity chiseled out of marble and in a satin jumpsuit. Iggy, the quintessential wild child- does he need Bowie and Lou to help him stand up? Couldn't he be arsed to put those cigarettes down? And he's wearing a T-Rex shirt, putting Marc Bolan into that photo by proxy. And then there's Lou, the picture of NYC cool- and wearing nail polish. Looking at it, you'd think that Iggy would be the first of the gang to die, so to speak. But now he's the last man standing.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Legomancer, Frohike

More
22 Jan 2016 07:25 #220579 by SuperFlySwatter
awesome photo. Lou Reed there reminds me of some modern actor or comedian dude, is that fucker from Dawsons Creek?

anyway, as a Yorkshireman myself (or "me sen" as we'd say), I quite liked this clip, I forgot that Bowies family come from a stones throw down the road from where I woh born and bred

www.facebook.com/paul.rooney.90813/videos/10153415211905847/

More
28 Jan 2016 02:29 #220955 by SuperFlySwatter
this was a good one I've not seen before either

More
30 Jan 2016 22:36 #221152 by Michael Barnes
This is kind of odd. Details of his will have been made public, he had a bunch of money, left a bunch of money. But there's this about what he left his longtime personal assistant:

A codicil to Bowie’s 2004 will also left shares of stock in a company called Opossum Inc. to Schwab. It’s unclear what Opossum does, and Bowie’s New York-based lawyer did not return a call seeking comment on the issue.

I can't find any evidence of such a company existing...and what do opossums do?

Play dead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

More
17 Feb 2016 15:53 #222705 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic David Bowie RIP
Did anyone else find this medley horrifying?

More
17 Feb 2016 15:56 #222706 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic David Bowie RIP
He popped up on my television this past Sunday in the original Zoolander. Caught me completely off guard.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds