October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

BurgerFi - pandering?

More
24 Feb 2016 16:23 #223181 by Black Barney
Hey, so I'm off to visit America's penis next week and I've been hearing a lot of buzz about BurgerFi. I got the IBS/IBD but even with that, I choose to risk some slanted discomfort in order to enjoy a damn fine cheeseburger. I'll admit that the pickings are slim up here in Montreal and most places just aren't worth the trek or the price.

My favourite so far I've found in travelling (and obviously the best will be in the US) is the In&Out Burger. I think it's divine.

But I'm anxious to try this new place out in Tampa this Saturday for lunch (if anyone lives around there, I should be there around noon, I'm the guy with the really cute five-year old girl).

But the main reason I'm writing is because, like a guy who's watched too much Seinfeld and Curb, I can't get past something that's bothering me that shouldn't bother me. The name. I look at that name and the ONLY thing I can think of is that it's a broad pander to pro-military potential customers. And let's face it, everyone in the States supports their military, and they should. But fo rme it really looks like this massive pander and for some reason that bothers me. I'm getting way too cynical probably....

Anyone know the origin of the name? Or at least tell me if the burgers are worth the trip :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2016 16:31 #223182 by Michael Barnes
I believe it is BurgerFi as in HiFi or Wi-Fi. Their branding and such suggests that it's more like that, not military. I didn't even think about that.

We have one here, it's pretty crap. Granted, we get the veggie burger but it was garbage and the fries/onion rings were garbage too. So if that's any barometer of quality, I dunno...but we haven't gone back.

Grub Burger Bar, now that one is really good but I don't know how many stores they have or if they're in Tampa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
24 Feb 2016 16:36 #223183 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
k, thanks. I first thought it was a play on "hi-fi" or "wi-fi" but then there would be mention of that elsewhere. Like free wi-fi while you eat or something. And the hi-fi thing, to me, would indicate a strong music element that we would see all over their identify, which I am not seeing. Whereas if they were doing a straight rip of semper fi, then they'd never own up to that since selling burgers for profit isn't exactly the same as risking being turned into hamburger for your country.

Did you see they have a Conflicted Burger? Half vege, half meat. Kind of funny. Who would order that though? I told the person that recommended it to me that the fries and onion rings look like total garbage and she blew up at me, lol.

More
24 Feb 2016 16:40 - 24 Feb 2016 16:42 #223185 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
After a few times trying, I think In&Out is overrated. Where are you going, Barney? If there's a Fatburger, I'd recommend that. The Bleu Cheese burger there, whatever it's called, is my favorite.

EDIT: Tampa? There is a Fatburger there... 2223 N West Shore Blvd.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 16:42 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
24 Feb 2016 16:45 #223187 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
We have one in Connecticut. It's very meh, though I suppose that's what everyone expects me to say about anything. You can order beer, but it's no Five Guys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 Feb 2016 16:46 - 24 Feb 2016 16:47 #223190 by Black Barney
i only have time for one meal in Tampa and a coworker already recommended this USMC place. I gotta go there or I'll raise her ire and she gave me two REALLY nice b00b hugs today.

That fatburger place sounds good though. Dammit.

...wait a minute, you say In&Out is overrated?! Hmmm... I have terrible taste in things but I feel like i"m not off on that. Maybe your impression of fatburger is off.... I need more data. Did you like the last Transformers movie? What did you think of the Bud Light product placement?

edit: Josh, I'm really not a big Five Guys fan at all. I think it's good but not 1 degree beyond that.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 16:47 by Black Barney.

More
24 Feb 2016 16:52 #223191 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
I liked In & Out fine. I guess I just didn't think it was quite up to the huge hype that it was getting for years. Last time I was there, though, I got something someone had recommended. Can't remember exactly. It's not on the menu, but they'll make it if you ask for it specifically. It involved grilled onions. And yeah, that was really good and better than the basic things they offer.

Still, strictly for a great burger, Fatburger is better. I'm also not a huge Five Guys fan. It's okay.

I haven't seen any of the Transformer movies, and have little intention to, though I've heard the first one was good.

More
24 Feb 2016 17:05 #223192 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
b.good burger for the win.

More
24 Feb 2016 17:11 #223194 by Black Barney
Grud, the WHOLE point of going to In&Out is the off-menu stuff!! "I'll have a 2x4 please"

The first Transformers movie is the best of all of them but that doesn't mean it's good. It's like your least stinky p00p of the week. "Hey, that one on Tuesday wasn't so bad!"

anyway you Americans are getting totally sidetracked by burger talk when really the only thing I wanted to talk about is if you think that name is an obvious pander, like I do. Like they sat around a room and thought, "If we name it this, they'll think we support the military and will want to eat here. It'll get us the machos like crazy"

More
24 Feb 2016 17:24 - 24 Feb 2016 17:24 #223198 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
In & Out has an awesome name but its burgers taste like Transformers movies.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 17:24 by quozl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney

More
24 Feb 2016 17:26 #223199 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
Don't listen to the hipsters complaining about In & Out. They were the best burger around for ages and now they have some competition and everyone says they're shit. It's BS, those burgers are great. I have been keeping kosher for 15 years and In & Out is the only thing I miss. Animal style with chopped chilis, BTW.

The others getting praise are Shake Shack (pressed burgers!), Five Guys, and Fatburger. Stick with those if able.

More
24 Feb 2016 17:27 #223200 by Black Barney
quozl, TAKE IT BACK!

Ok, I'm not going to BurgerFi. I called them and they won't do a medium rare burger, only medium-well or well. I hate that, it usually means a lower quality meat. I'll check out Fatburger...

More
24 Feb 2016 17:30 #223201 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic BurgerFi - pandering?
I like Burgerville for cheap burgers (but that's only out west) and Red Robin for more expensive burgers.

More
24 Feb 2016 18:00 #223204 by Michael Barnes
anyway you Americans are getting totally sidetracked by burger talk when really the only thing I wanted to talk about is if you think that name is an obvious pander, like I do. Like they sat around a room and thought, "If we name it this, they'll think we support the military and will want to eat here. It'll get us the machos like crazy"

Oh no, I totally caught your Canadian nationalist rhetoric, the whole "all Americans are macho jocks with guns that eat hamburgers" stereotype you rudely tried to foist on these fine Americans. Which is why I a) ignored it and b) pointed out that we got veggie burgers. I'm sure the next step was for you to use this thread as a platform to rhapsodize about the Canadian healthcare system and how it is not run by highwaymen like the US one is.

But then it turned to boob talk, so it is par for F:AT course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Black Barney, Columbob

More
24 Feb 2016 18:10 #223206 by Black Barney
Nah, it's more that one of your companies seems to be doing that and that it bothers me and I was curious if it bothers you

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds