October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Let's Talk - Dumping Cell Phones

More
15 Nov 2016 15:00 - 15 Nov 2016 15:09 #238481 by Mr. White
With the game collection gutted, I need something else to toss...and often this here cell phone is more of a drag than anything.

I currently have a samsung 6 (or 7...who the hell knows...) with all the bells and whistles of the time, but I don't think I want internet access all the time anymore. So what I really need are suggestions for:

1) cheap pay as you go phone. Can't you get these for like $100 for a year?
2) cheap mp3 player for music
3) cheap, but good, digital camera

If I can get those three...then all these apps, crap, and monthly fees can go.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2016 15:09 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2016 15:07 #238483 by metalface13

Mr. White wrote: 2) cheap mp3 player for music

iPod Shuffle: www.target.com/p/apple-ipod-shuffle-2gb-...CXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Frohike

More
15 Nov 2016 15:10 #238485 by metalface13
Jeff White in 4 years ...

"Guys, I'm thinking about parring down my twig collection, I just have too many twigs. I really only have space in my life for like 2-3 twigs. One for scratching my back, a second for poking dead frogs and a third for roasting marshmallows ..."

More
15 Nov 2016 15:10 #238486 by Michael Barnes
Six months from now Jeff White posts- "Pants, do you really need more than one pair. I'm giving away all of my pants."
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Mr. White

More
15 Nov 2016 15:11 #238487 by ChristopherMD
I used these people for years and may go back to them soon. They do pay-as-you-go or prepaid monthly.

www.pagepluscellular.com/

If you don't find a phone you like on their website there are a lot more models that work for their service you just have to buy them elsewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White

More
15 Nov 2016 15:13 #238488 by Gary Sax
I wonder if your best move would be to get a smartphone but no data plan with it---having a good camera, music/mp3s, etc do suggest more of a smartphone angle in terms of handset quality. So you can take photos and connect to wifi for a few things and updates but have no data that makes you zone out when you go other places.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Columbob

More
15 Nov 2016 15:18 #238489 by jeb
GarySax has it. Get a decent enough smartphone and get the $25/mo talk-and-text from Cricket (if in an AT&T area) with Bring Your Own Phone. My wife and daughter both have $30 Windows phones you can get at Gamestop, but you could pick up a last-gen decent iphone from Glide and get a good camera along with. Not having data really sucks the distraction aspect of the phone away. You can't check shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Columbob

More
15 Nov 2016 15:28 #238491 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: I wonder if your best move would be to get a smartphone but no data plan with it---having a good camera, music/mp3s, etc do suggest more of a smartphone angle in terms of handset quality. So you can take photos and connect to wifi for a few things and updates but have no data that makes you zone out when you go other places.

If the OP likes his current phone for his needs, just let the current contract expire then use it in WiFi only mode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Nov 2016 15:29 #238492 by Mr. White
Looking at what's been put in front of me by Mad Dog...I'm seeing a

$30 phone - www.pagepluscellular.com/phones/alcatel-one-touch-pop-icon/
$12 a month plan - www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

Even that plan has data on it though... :/

For this Cricket Bring Your Own Phone deal, maybe I can use this Samsung I bought last summer...or would I need to dump it?

More
15 Nov 2016 15:31 - 15 Nov 2016 15:50 #238494 by Mr. White

Msample wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: I wonder if your best move would be to get a smartphone but no data plan with it---having a good camera, music/mp3s, etc do suggest more of a smartphone angle in terms of handset quality. So you can take photos and connect to wifi for a few things and updates but have no data that makes you zone out when you go other places.

If the OP likes his current phone for his needs, just let the current contract expire then use it in WiFi only mode.

Hmm... going this route, I guess I could still use the camera, download music at home to listen to on the go, but what about making calls? Guess it takes care of the camera/mp3 player bit though, so may be worth it.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2016 15:50 by Mr. White.

More
15 Nov 2016 15:55 #238501 by jeb

Mr. White wrote:

Msample wrote:

Hmm... going this route, I guess I could still use the camera, download music at home to listen to on the go, but what about making calls? Guess it takes care of the camera/mp3 player bit though, so may be worth it.

You need to be a little sneaky here. This is why I like Cricket--if you the $25 talk-and-text, you can opt for bring-your-own-phone and put their SIM in a smartphone and they don't care. You gotta do it online though. If you bring a smartphone to a Cricket storefront, they won't let you put a smartphone on that plan Becau$e Rea$on$™. Similarly, the big providers won't let you do this even after the fact--if they "detect" a smartphone, they compel you to upgrade plans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Nov 2016 16:01 #238503 by Mr. White

jeb wrote:

Mr. White wrote:

Msample wrote:

You need to be a little sneaky here. This is why I like Cricket--if you the $25 talk-and-text, you can opt for bring-your-own-phone and put their SIM in a smartphone and they don't care. You gotta do it online though. If you bring a smartphone to a Cricket storefront, they won't let you put a smartphone on that plan Becau$e Rea$on$™. Similarly, the big providers won't let you do this even after the fact--if they "detect" a smartphone, they compel you to upgrade plans.

This?
www.cricketwireless.com/support/apps-and...own-device-byod.html

Guess I'll need to sort out what 'unlocked' means.

More
15 Nov 2016 16:07 #238504 by Mr. White
Looks like cricket doesn't have a $25 plan anymore, but a $30 one.

www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

More
15 Nov 2016 16:11 #238505 by jeb

Mr. White wrote:
This?
www.cricketwireless.com/support/apps-and...own-device-byod.html

Guess I'll need to sort out what 'unlocked' means.

If you paid $1 for a $700 phone last time you upgraded, that phone is "locked." The company you bought it from subsidized your purchase because they recoup it in plan fees (2 yr contract at $60/mo is a $1440 phone, wink!). Some companies are dicks about unlocking phones after the contract expires, others are not. Check with your carrier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White

More
15 Nov 2016 16:11 #238506 by Da Bid Dabid
I've never had a smartphone, I miss having a camera on me at all times every once in a while mostly due to my children doing funny things. T9 texting takes forever so that usually keeps me from wasting time doing that.

I'm on some T-Moblie family plan where the rest of my family has smart phones so it ends up being like $15 a month. I looked a while ago but couldn't find anything cheaper than that, so that may be a good target price.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds