October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2693 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

What the AF: A BGG Love Story

More
12 Jan 2017 17:57 #242337 by Hex Sinister
Sounds like the coolest wedding I've never been to. I didn't know you were into Tolkien that much. If me and my eternal fiance ever hitch it will probably end up at the courthouse. It gets tiring referring to her as my "girlfriend" after 17 years already. But we just don't give that much of a shit I guess. I would have thought she would but she doesn't so I'm fine with that too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2017 17:58 #242338 by Shellhead
The great thing about all these nerdy weddings is that there is no Bridezilla involved.

More
12 Jan 2017 18:13 #242339 by boothwah

Shellhead wrote: The great thing about all these nerdy weddings is that there is no Bridezilla involved.

Not Necessarily.

All shall love me and despair!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Colorcrayons

More
12 Jan 2017 19:16 #242340 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What the AF: A BGG Love Story
I fucking knew it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
13 Jan 2017 06:24 #242343 by Matt Thrower

Msample wrote: I like how they've had multiple outages right after their latest annual "fundraising" drive just ended.

The site is an embarrassment to the hobby. Rakes in significant funds, zero professionalism. How do people keep on giving, not knowing where the hell all that money gets spent? There's no evidence of it being used to improve the site.

This shit makes me really angry. At least the Dice Tower has plenty to show in terms of well-produced content for their colossal fundraisers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, sornars

More
13 Jan 2017 07:42 #242344 by Thrun
Replied by Thrun on topic What the AF: A BGG Love Story

Michael Barnes wrote: The thing about a wedding is that it is what you make of it. If it's going to the JOTP or having a $10,000 blowout. It's what's important to you, and it's what you want to remember. You make the investment you want and take out what you want from it. If you think weddings are worthless ceremonies, then there you go. If you think it's a special event worth spending money on and enshrining a moment in your life, then it can be that too.

but apparently its not OK if someone else wants to make it include boardgames?

More
13 Jan 2017 08:19 - 13 Jan 2017 08:19 #242345 by SuperflyPete
It's TOTALLY OK. God Bless 'em. Make your wedding about whatever you want it to be about. Mine was about being broke and wanting to close the loop on our relationship. Mike's was about theatrics. I'm sure someone here has had one out of desperation, and another has had one out of lust. Whatever floats your boat.

Making a guestbook with such an insanely intricate way in a virtually impossible-to-decipher code...based on the rules of a game...with references to a graphic novel...that's wicked crazy. But, if that's what they want...hell, yeah. Rock it out.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2017 08:19 by SuperflyPete.

More
13 Jan 2017 11:24 #242359 by Michael Barnes

Bojack wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: The thing about a wedding is that it is what you make of it. If it's going to the JOTP or having a $10,000 blowout. It's what's important to you, and it's what you want to remember. You make the investment you want and take out what you want from it. If you think weddings are worthless ceremonies, then there you go. If you think it's a special event worth spending money on and enshrining a moment in your life, then it can be that too.

but apparently its not OK if someone else wants to make it include boardgames?

No, it's totally OK and more power to 'em for having it their way. But I reserve the right to deem it lame!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
13 Jan 2017 11:27 #242361 by Msample

MattDP wrote:

Msample wrote: I like how they've had multiple outages right after their latest annual "fundraising" drive just ended.

The site is an embarrassment to the hobby. Rakes in significant funds, zero professionalism. How do people keep on giving, not knowing where the hell all that money gets spent? There's no evidence of it being used to improve the site.

This shit makes me really angry. At least the Dice Tower has plenty to show in terms of well-produced content for their colossal fundraisers.

>To the vast majority of BGG users, Aldie and his posse walk on water. They'll keep throwing money at the site while ignoring the fact that the site is a mere shell for content which is filled almost entirely by the users.

I'd love to get the backstory on the split between Aldie and co founder Derk Solko. For awhile he had some non specific commentary on his Facebook page but I think it got purged.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Nodens

More
14 Jan 2017 07:36 #242413 by jur
Replied by jur on topic What the AF: A BGG Love Story
which split was that? I thought they had several. In 50 years they'll make documentaries about their fraught relationship

More
14 Jan 2017 10:19 #242417 by Msample
Whichever one was the one where Derk's relationship w/BGG was completely severed.

More
14 Jan 2017 11:00 #242418 by ChristopherMD
It makes me sad seeing people throw so much money and content at that site and then post about how much the site does for them. The site isn't doing shit but cash in on the hobby with ads, store, market, etc.

F:AT is user-content dependent too but we don't hold an annual "give us huge bonuses for letting you make us money" drive. We've only ever asked for money to keep the site running.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete

More
14 Jan 2017 11:10 #242419 by SuperflyPete
I think the value comes from their even-handed moderation staff and hard-hitting journalism that doesn't so much just promote products as it does delve deep into the hobby's dark corners. Take their destruction of MayDay games over Crokigate. I mean, they were all over that.

#MoneyWellSpent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
14 Jan 2017 13:58 #242432 by Black Barney
My dining room table !!!

More
15 Jan 2017 17:17 #242464 by SuperflyPete

Black Barney wrote: My dining room table !!!

This is what is left of it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds