October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Wrestlemania III

More
24 Apr 2017 09:20 - 26 Apr 2017 15:18 #247025 by Mr. White
Wrestlemania III was created by Mr. White
30 years ago in March.

There were a few decent articles on it.

Overall:
www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/...y-30-years/99729286/

The Savage v Steamboat match specifically:
www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/18802068/wre...cky-dragon-steamboat

I agree that the Savage v Steamboat match is probably the greatest match of all time, particularly because it had to be performed in the shadow of the Hogan v Giant main event. For me it runs just above the Los Gringos Loco/La Pareja del Terror (Art's final match) vs Octagon and El Hijo Del Santo (hair vs mask) match from the 1994 ppv, When World's Collide.

I've thought about showing the kids some of the classic Wrestlemanias, but feel they really require watching the buildup matches and story lines for the events to really pay off. I dunno. Maybe I'll just have them watch a few more key matches.

Here's the full WMIII in a minute.

EDIT:
May as well post the two matches in question:
www.dailymotion.com/video/x4jxzwf_randy-...estlemania-iii_sport

Damn...watching it again...these two matches are probably neck and neck. The crowd is so hot for this.
www.dailymotion.com/video/x18ffjn_el-hij...worlds-collide_sport
Last edit: 26 Apr 2017 15:18 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SebastianBludd, stormseeker75, drewcula, ufe20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2017 21:26 #247097 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Wrestlemania III
Heh. I recall watching that through pay per view through my buddies cable network. I think we each chipped in $20 to watch it. Damn thing was $60 to see.

One.of the last wrestling matches I ever watched before graduating to D&D to suck up my time.

More
26 Apr 2017 08:50 - 26 Apr 2017 08:59 #247245 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Wrestlemania III
I haven't been following pro-wrestling so much the last 3-4 years, but apparently Dave Meltzer rated a New Japan match from this past January as the greatest match of all time, going so far as giving it 6 out of his 5 star rating system.

Meltzer's thoughts

full match

It looks to be about 40+ minutes long, so I didn't watch it last night. Camping the next few nights, so I'll get to it this weekend. It features Kenny Omega, a Canadian, with a sick moveset:

I'm a bit old school though, and on payday I think I'll pick up this shirt:
www.homage.com/products/randy-savage-goa...eUwtMCFQmpaQod9SYLdg
Last edit: 26 Apr 2017 08:59 by Mr. White.

More
26 Apr 2017 09:44 - 26 Apr 2017 09:47 #247249 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Wrestlemania III
Savage was a great showman. RiIP

But was he in 'they live'!? RIP

So you're clearly drinking while camping.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2017 09:47 by Colorcrayons.

More
26 Apr 2017 09:50 #247250 by Mr. White
Yeah, there's a bit of hyperbole, but that's ok...how do we define 'greatest' in the world of the squared circle?

I think it's recognized that Bret Hart may have been the most technically proficient wrestler ever, but he didn't draw as well as a Hogan, Austin, or Rock. Are they the greatest?

Eh, it's all in good fun.

More
26 Apr 2017 11:02 #247257 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Wrestlemania III
'They Live' was Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Austin is probably the greatest in terms of draw. His popularity was unparalleled. Daniel Bryan was on the way to being Stone Cold until he had to retire early.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Apr 2017 11:06 - 26 Apr 2017 12:08 #247258 by Mr. White
For shame, I have never seen a Daniel Bryan match (no! no! no!).

Can you point me to, say, the top 3?
Last edit: 26 Apr 2017 12:08 by Mr. White.

More
26 Apr 2017 13:20 #247268 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Wrestlemania III
First off WWE RAW is coming to my town next month and I'm pretty excited about it, although I don't really watch WWE anymore.

I do watch Lucha Underground however and if we are posting good matches...

This is the match that hooked me on the show... prolly still my favorite of all 2.5 seasons we've been through.

And if you liked that action here is them putting on another very quality show.

A huge swerve for Mil to lose the title right before a psuedo-pay per view coming the next week.

Pentagon is my favorite wrestler and here are more highlights of Fenix making a match awesome. They are brothers in real life.

There is more of this match as it started out with 6 people and was equally good before the final two.

A final tidbit (I could post all day) is a fantastic show by Mack and Cage with a great ending.

The Mack is fantastic and currently the #1 contender when we get back to shows airing hopefully end of May.

LU also has some awesome comedy and gimmick matches. Look for the nunchuck match or the Mascarita vs Famous B beliver's backlash match.

More
26 Apr 2017 14:02 - 26 Apr 2017 14:26 #247271 by Mr. White

Da Bid Dabid wrote:

A huge swerve for Mil to lose the title right before a psuedo-pay per view coming the next week.

Spoilers tags, brah!!

I see LU is on Netflix now. Will they be streaming current episodes or just past seasons?

EDIT: How kid friendly is LU on the whole? Is it Rock n Wrestling WWF? ECW? Attitude era WWE? NXT?
Last edit: 26 Apr 2017 14:26 by Mr. White.

More
26 Apr 2017 15:02 #247278 by stormseeker75
Top 3 Daniel Bryan matches.....let me think on that. There was one for sure against Sheamus that was 2-out-of-3 falls that would definitely fall in that list.

More
26 Apr 2017 15:15 - 26 Apr 2017 15:30 #247280 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Wrestlemania III
I don't watch too much, but I saw that NXT match between Nakamura and Zayn, Nakamura's first in the WWE/NXT, that shit was amazing.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2017 15:30 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, stormseeker75

More
26 Apr 2017 15:26 - 26 Apr 2017 15:42 #247283 by Mr. White
I wish WWE would have let Rami Sebei (Sami Zayn) keep his El Generico gimmick. Though I thought I read that the WWE likes to rebrand when possible so they can own the character (for post contract videos and merch I'm sure). I don't know if that's actually the case though because some wrestlers have been able to come and go while retaining their character. Maybe those guys and gals had more pull.

The Generico character was a lot of fun in the Chikara matches I saw him in. Great Bouncing Souls ring entrance too.

EDIT: To be fair, I've only seen one of his NXT/WWE matches....
Last edit: 26 Apr 2017 15:42 by Mr. White.

More
26 Apr 2017 17:57 #247310 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Wrestlemania III

Mr. White wrote: I see LU is on Netflix now. Will they be streaming current episodes or just past seasons?

EDIT: How kid friendly is LU on the whole? Is it Rock n Wrestling WWF? ECW? Attitude era WWE? NXT?

No idea if they will put future seasons on netflix, season 3 is likely gonna have to finish before it gets up which will run into the fall. Season 1 is imo significantly better than Season 2, but both are good.

I can't say that LU is kid friendly, but I do watch it with my 4 year old daughter. I realize that is contradictory so maybe I am a bad parent? A lot of the matches are brawling with violent use of weapons, cut jobs, etc. Not too much "sexy stuff" but its there too. Language is prolly as inappropriate if not screening before hand. Not quite Attitude era stuff, but certainly not PG. My 4 year old does really enjoy seeing the girl wrestlers mix it up with boys and delights in their victories.Her favorite Sexy Star (who she calls Sassy Star) is pretty good in the ring and has won some big matches. We call out near falls and put each other in various submission holds as we watch the matches. I think she just interprets it as play fun, if she ends up a serial killer I guess I messed up and will try to have her hunt down only bad guys like Dexter or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
26 Apr 2017 18:19 #247311 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Wrestlemania III
Man,Wrestlemania III...that for me was the peak of pro wrestling. I was 11 when it happened, and it was such a BIG DEAL among me and my friends. I had magazines leading up to it, we got it on pay per view, and everybody was just SCREAMING during the Savage/Steamboat match. I don't think there has ever been a better pro wrestling match, at least not that I've seen. It perfectly encapsulated everything you want in one- the athleticism, the showmanship, the drama.

I was also really a big fan of Jake the Snake Roberts at the time so that match with Alice Cooper versus the Honky Tonk Man was great. I HATED Honky Tonk Man! Was so MAD!

And that one with Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff versus the Killer Bees...what a disappointment, double DQ.

Hogan slamming Andre the Giant was pretty awesome too, but by the time that match came on everything before it sort of overshadowed it. All the biggest and best stars of the era- literally every one. After it, my interest in wrestling dropped off gradually- I think because it was such a pinnacle that everything after felt sort of diminished.

It took scorpion matches, chainsaw matches, land mine matches, etc. to get me interested again.

More
27 Apr 2017 10:21 #247348 by stormseeker75

Mr. White wrote: I wish WWE would have let Rami Sebei (Sami Zayn) keep his El Generico gimmick. Though I thought I read that the WWE likes to rebrand when possible so they can own the character (for post contract videos and merch I'm sure). I don't know if that's actually the case though because some wrestlers have been able to come and go while retaining their character. Maybe those guys and gals had more pull.

The Generico character was a lot of fun in the Chikara matches I saw him in. Great Bouncing Souls ring entrance too.

EDIT: To be fair, I've only seen one of his NXT/WWE matches....

They allow people to use their name if they own it outright and if WWE thinks it's marketable. Some folks keep it. Samoa Joe, of recent notoriety.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds