October 09, 2023
2487 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Explain your stupid avatar.

More
15 Jan 2018 21:45 #261046 by the_jake_1973
It's actually me in the picture as Jexik can attest. Picture taken at a Pulaski Day event. It is a pretty swanky red velvet blazer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2018 21:57 - 15 Jan 2018 21:58 #261047 by Colorcrayons

Black Barney wrote: Mine is the best avatar on the site. How can out git mad at anything Richard Simmons sez?? Whatever tone he brings to my posts is exactly how 99% of my posts should be read and taken. The other 1% is me telling Barnes I hope he dies in a fire.

Even Simmons goes dark sometimes.

It is mentally impossible for me to read your posts without a Simmons voice over.

I'm Godzilla in a business suit. Destruction is my business, and business is good.

The polar opposite of me, as I am all about creativity.

But is it not true that in order to create, one must first destroy?
Last edit: 15 Jan 2018 21:58 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney, SuperflyPete

More
15 Jan 2018 22:28 #261048 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Explain your stupid avatar.
One of the first pictures when I googled female paladin. I used to play paladin type characters in mmo, with female avatar to get free stuff. Or I just like to look at female butt for hours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete

More
15 Jan 2018 22:39 #261050 by ChristopherMD
I like stouts and Old Rasputin's is one of my all-time favorites. The Russian Imperial style of higher alcohol and more bitter taste than stouts usually have is really nice on cold nights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Cranberries

More
15 Jan 2018 22:40 #261051 by engelstein
Rejected cover artwork for my first game - The Ares Project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Cranberries, SuperflyPete

More
15 Jan 2018 23:17 #261053 by Jackwraith
Mine is something that I only used briefly but has stuck with me on many different sites (I use it on Twitter, for example.) It's a picture of Ryu Jin, the dragon king from Japanese mythology. I originally started using it when I finally got around to playing Space Marines in 40K (my 7th army, I think) when 4th Edition and the new SM codex came out. I was so enchanted with the new rules and units (Sternguard, Thunderfire Cannon, etc.) that I decided to do a descendant chapter of the Salamanders called the Ryujin Legion, although the Imperium title for them is "Dragon Lords", since they were Third Founding and the Great Betrayal was still recent enough that they didn't want any chapters called "legions".

I came up with an extensive background and had Japanese and faux Japanese titles for all my units and commanders. I was really into it, especially because part of the reason I'd started them was that two friends of mine were going to do a three way (Imperium, Tau, Ork), three system (BFG, Epic, 40K) campaign with me as we all painted or repainted our armies/fleets. We made it a few months before real life interfered on their end and I found myself grinding to a halt because I had lost the impetus to paint anymore (I had multiple armies/fleets/gangs for every game GW produced) but didn't want to play with unpainted models. I had set up a blog for the campaign and the background page is still there: ryujinlegion.blogspot.com/2008/10/background.html

Anyway, I just kind of kept the image out of inertia and now I use it everywhere because I've become so accustomed to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SebastianBludd

More
15 Jan 2018 23:20 #261054 by Space Ghost
My mom got extremely sick when I was in high school and I used to stay up late into the night just sitting with her while we watched various shows of the time (Kids in the Hall, etc.) of which Space Ghost Coast to Coast was one of her favorite. Along with the fact that the stupid humor always makes me laugh, I have gone with that as an avatar for quite some time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Cranberries, Nodens

More
15 Jan 2018 23:30 - 15 Jan 2018 23:34 #261055 by Disgustipater
I'm a pretty big fan of the Cthulhu Mythos, and I found a random picture online of a dapper deep one that I liked.

Elsewhere, I also use a crop of Death on a Pale Horse by Doré, because engravings are fucking awesome.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2018 23:34 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Cranberries, SuperflyPete, DukeofChutney

More
15 Jan 2018 23:36 #261056 by Not Sure
I'm a counter from the old Tom Jolly artwork of classic Wiz-War.

Specifically, one of the two extra wizards from Expansion Set #1. This is the counter that I played a lot in college, first because nobody else wanted to play radioactive green but eventually it just became mine like Purple in Cosmic Encounter.

It was the ideal thing for F:AT, and I've just never changed it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, san il defanso, Colorcrayons, DukeofChutney, Nodens

More
16 Jan 2018 02:41 #261063 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Explain your stupid avatar.
I started out with Arne And (Arne the Duck) who is a Swedish comic character. He resembles Donald Duck quite a bit (to the extent that Disney threatened with a lawsuit and Arne had to undergo surgery in order to get a new beak for a while), but drinks more. A lot more. They are a perfect satire of the drunken bohemian poet, but also of Scandinavian politics. And though they aren't quite contemperary anymore, the original albums are still a lot of fun.

Now I used a wizard avatar I had made for a geeky comedy show I and two other comedians made. It was our third show and we had the poster made in 8 bit graphics somewhat inspired by the D&D episode of Community.

More
16 Jan 2018 08:39 #261064 by Legomancer
Mine is my dog, Cappy, a pitbull mix. He passed away last month from lung cancer. He was the sweetest, friendliest, smartest, best dog, and we miss him terribly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jeb, allismom3, Cranberries

More
16 Jan 2018 09:07 #261066 by charlest
Sorry to hear that Dave.

I think when I had enough Geek Gold to get an avatar on BGG many years ago I wasn't sure what to use and I was at the height of my Steve McQueen fandom at the time (he's still one of my favorite actors alongside Newman). I started writing reviews and had some people recognizing me online by my avatar at that point so I was kind of stuck with it and didn't want to change it to lose familiarity for a possible reader/user.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
16 Jan 2018 09:29 #261071 by Cranberries

the_jake_1973 wrote: It's actually me in the picture as Jexik can attest. Picture taken at a Pulaski Day event. It is a pretty swanky red velvet blazer.

It would be awesome if you wore that to every single convention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
16 Jan 2018 10:26 #261074 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Explain your stupid avatar.
A lot of you guys put way more thought into this than I did. Mine is just a funny Lego robot I made with big, droopy eyebrows named Joebot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Nodens

More
16 Jan 2018 10:48 #261078 by Erik Twice
It's Don, a magical Taiko drum who was given life by the will of the universe to propagate the joy of Japanese festivals through the world.

It's from a game called Taiko no Tatsujin (Taiko Drummaster)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds