October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Identify this movie/TV show...

More
26 Jan 2018 18:28 #262290 by Michael Barnes
OK, this has bugged me for many years.

I swear that I have seen this fantasy movie, or it may have been a TV show, sometime around 1982, 1983 or so where there was a scene where the hero had to go into this swamp to retrieve a magic bow. But the bow had some kind of curse or poison or something so that only this dude could hold it. It looked really more like a gnarled staff than a bow, and it shot yellow magic bolts instead of arrows. I want to say there was not actually a string. It's VERY hazy, and I kind of wonder if a) I made it up, b) I dreamed it or c) it's a fragmented thread of a memory that actually occurred along a different timeline than the one I'm in.

If it is real, I'm pretty sure it's not anything you'd think- it's not Hawk, it's not Sword & The Sorcerer or anything like that. I am thinking it is either some kind of made for TV movie that has fallen through the cracks or if it was some kind of obscure European exploitation movie that isn't well documented. I don't think it's Ator or any of those either but I've not seen those in a long time.

The only thing I can think of that it MIGHT be is Wizards and Warriors, but I remember very little about watching it for some reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2018 18:43 #262294 by ChristopherMD
The Archer: Fugitive from the Empire (1981) maybe?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb, SuperflyPete, Nodens

More
26 Jan 2018 19:00 - 26 Jan 2018 19:02 #262296 by Michael Barnes
Well, I didn’t think that was it but the synopsis on IMDB clinched it...I forgot that it was called the Heartbow, and that triggered it right away. I’m not sure how I misremembered the magic bolts, probably because the arrows blow up. Not sure how I thought it didn’t look like a bow, because it does. I got the swamp thing from all the fog machine used in it- I scanned through it on YouTube to confirm. Forgot about the snake people too!

Anyway, there’s your solution for Pandora’s Bow, it is definitely the Heartbow.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2018 19:02 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
26 Jan 2018 22:46 #262307 by repoman
Man I loved that show when it premiered and was so damn disappointed when the promised follow ups never happened. I think I watched part of it on YouTube several years back and it's pretty terrible.

Wizards and Warriors was a spoof show wasn't it and starred the girl who played the spoiled maid on Newhart? Thought it was hilarious at the time but that too is pretty bad seen through adult eyes.

More
26 Jan 2018 23:00 #262309 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, it’s really bad...I do remember now when I was a kid how I always wondered if it was ever going to continue because it just sort of trails off at the end as if there is going to be more.

The main thing I remember about Wizards and Warriors is that he bad guy is named Vector and I thought that was awesome when little.

More
26 Jan 2018 23:22 #262312 by Black Barney
I would have said Krull

More
27 Jan 2018 05:36 #262314 by repoman
It was either stated in the promos leading up to it or in a thing right at the beginning of the movie that there were going to be seven episodes/movies.

More
27 Jan 2018 06:59 #262316 by Nodens
IIRC it ended with a real RPG party ready to go on adventures, so sequels must have been planned. I remember it fondly, at the time it was the best fantasy movie I had ever seen - mostly because of the snake people. What a wasteland that time was concerning fantasy. There was so much dreck on the screens we were really happy about Willow.
I am a little afraid to go back to those now, but this and the one with the huge dragon (Dragonslayer, also 1981) were the only convincing ones to tiny me, and that's a low bar.
But since you guys are rolling, are there any fantasy movies from that era that still hold up? Besides Conan, obvs.

More
27 Jan 2018 07:51 #262317 by Michael Barnes
I would say The Dark Crystal is the best pre LOTR fantasy film. Conan and Legend were also “great” proper fantasy films before LOTR, but even all of those are messy when you take off the nostalgia glasses. Krull and Beastmaster are trashy but fun. But not great films. There are other good/kinda good ones. But nothing truly significant beyond a cult appeal.
Fantasy just has never had a level of sophistication and broader appeal that SF has...there has never been a fantasy 2001 or a run of great fantasy films like what SF experienced in the 70s and 80s.

Even LOTR hasn’t really changed that, other than paving the way for GoT. Which is not D&D style high fantasy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
27 Jan 2018 09:28 #262323 by Black Barney
LOTR is pretty close to D&D, no? Parties of adventurers, wizards with actual magic, dwarves, elves, halflings, fighters, thieves, random encounters in the wilderness, dungeons, keeps... they check a lot of boxes

More
27 Jan 2018 09:36 #262324 by Michael Barnes
Of course- I meant that GoT is not D&Dish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Jan 2018 10:24 - 27 Jan 2018 10:29 #262327 by repoman
I think maybe the closest thing to D&D might be Xena Warrior Princess.

Considering the ascendency of nerd culture you'd think now would be the perfect time to create a show based on some classic fantasy. A show where the material is respected yet not all grimdark.

Picture a Fahferd and Grey Mouser series. Or even a Conan series where the creators actually had an clue as to what makes Conan great.

Of course we did have the actual D&D movie which was terrible and it's sequel which I have never seen.

PS. Where do we put Excalibur on the Fantasy scale? I think it's a great movie but certainly not High Fantasy and yet it's not exactly historical drama either.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2018 10:29 by repoman.

More
27 Jan 2018 10:29 - 27 Jan 2018 10:35 #262328 by Sagrilarus
I believe we've had this same conversation when someone asked about the same movie a couple of years back. I recall figuring out that movie's name from it back then.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2018 10:35 by Sagrilarus.

More
27 Jan 2018 12:20 #262337 by Michael Barnes
Shit Jeff! How could I forget Excalibur...that was probably the first fantasy movie (other than Star Wars) I ever saw. Very clear memories of my mom ordering my dad to cover my eyes during the armor sex scene and my dad saying “he doesn’t know what they’re doing”. Yeah, Excalibur is a great film. A little doughy in parts, but great.

I also neglected to include Dragonslayer, which is actually really good.

We talk about all of this every couple of years Sag. It’s what we do.

More
27 Jan 2018 13:03 #262340 by ChristopherMD

Michael Barnes wrote: Shit Jeff! How could I forget Excalibur...that was probably the first fantasy movie (other than Star Wars) I ever saw. Very clear memories of my mom ordering my dad to cover my eyes during the armor sex scene and my dad saying “he doesn’t know what they’re doing”. Yeah, Excalibur is a great film.

Saw it as a kid. Can confirm your dad was right.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds