Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

TOPIC: We need to talk about Into the Breach

We need to talk about Into the Breach 10 Mar 2018 11:04 #265272

I take back not liking the Blitzkrieg. I failed a couple times, but they're way more fun when you try to get that 2 islands in 30 minutes achievement. Stop trying to be perfect and just protect that grid in record time! Go to islands with Ooze and spider bosses.
  • Jexik
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 576
Last Edit: 10 Mar 2018 11:05 by Jexik.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

We need to talk about Into the Breach 12 Mar 2018 04:11 #265348

It's a weird game. Every time I finish a run, I feel like I'm pretty much done with it. Then the next time I've got ten minutes to kill I figure I might as well start another one and, what do you know, that's two hours gone.

One thing about it that does irk me is not being able to test the squads before unlocking them. Some I really just don't get on with - Blitzkrieg and Flame Behemoths so far - and that makes it harder to unlock more achievements to get more entertaining squads to play.

The Behemoths sound more fun than they proved - the lack of direct damage is really frustrating.
  • MattDP
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Shiny Balls
  • Number Of Fence
  • Thank you received: 1121
Oftentimes defeat is splendid, victory may still be shame;
Luck is good, the prize is pleasant but the glory's in the game!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

We need to talk about Into the Breach 12 Mar 2018 08:10 #265383

MattDP wrote:
One thing about it that does irk me is not being able to test the squads before unlocking them. Some I really just don't get on with - Blitzkrieg and Flame Behemoths so far - and that makes it harder to unlock more achievements to get more entertaining squads to play.

Random and Custom are your friends during this dark time.
  • Jexik
  • D6
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattDP

We need to talk about Into the Breach 12 Mar 2018 08:26 #265389

I finally managed to win with the Blitzkrieg squad. I'm not sure exactly what went right, but I avoided sectors with objects liable to lightning destruction, and rushed to upgrade damage on the lightning mech and boulder thrower. More than anything, I think I just got lucky on the final island, where I was screwed over many times before. The bomb is just as vulnerable to collateral damage as the stupid train.

Next onto the Steel Judoka - any suggestions as to how to play them? They seem a bit low on the damage potential.
  • Count Orlok
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 84

We need to talk about Into the Breach 12 Mar 2018 09:23 #265394

The Judo dude has armor and plenty of health iirc. So it needs to keep in there, take damage and flip your opponents to shoot at each other.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 3112

We need to talk about Into the Breach 12 Mar 2018 11:53 #265439

Gary Sax wrote:
The Judo dude has armor and plenty of health iirc. So it needs to keep in there, take damage and flip your opponents to shoot at each other.

Yeah, sometimes, the answer with them isn't to kill stuff or even move stuff. Just stick the armor guy in the path of the speeding firefly spit. The siege mech is pretty great though (damages and pushes in 4 directions), especially if you upgrade it so it does more damage and/or doesn't damage your own buildings. You can also take a look at levels in advance to see if there are gonna be good spots to pull guys into water. The sandworm enemies are the absolute worst though... man that made one of those islands rough! They cannot be judo'd or grav'd.
  • Jexik
  • D6
Last Edit: 12 Mar 2018 12:02 by Jexik.

We need to talk about Into the Breach 12 Mar 2018 15:55 #265491

They are just the worst generally for any of the teams that need a bunch of things to come together to do damage.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE

We need to talk about Into the Breach 14 Mar 2018 11:04 #265663

Hazardous is the last team I have to beat it with. Abe Isamu (armor guy) makes it (and Zenith Guard) easier to win with, but it's still hard.

One weird rule quirk that makes the Ice team way better- Ice will not overwrite a shield, so if you pick the pilot who starts with a shield, she can get that one achievement super easily. I didn't actually know this in my win with them, I got used to putting the ice mech on spawns or in the line of enemy fire. They have trouble with the "kill 7 enemies" missions, but I do like the control that this squad offers.

Some pilots really do make teams better. Like I said, the rust team is way better with Camila, and Abe helps a bunch of squads. Any squads that don't need that armor though... I have a hard time arguing against Camila or some of the other movement oriented pilots. A lot of the time, the unwinnable looking situations seem to stem from just feeling stuck.
  • Jexik
  • D6
Last Edit: 14 Mar 2018 11:08 by Jexik.

We need to talk about Into the Breach 14 Mar 2018 14:26 #265681

I need to get back into it. I've had long periods to game with, so I've been playing Stellaris. When I get back to shorter chunks I think I'll do Into the Breach again.

Yeah, the pilot-team synergy is super important. I think they should say something about it generally, tbh, so that you don't get too discouraged on some of the squads.

My favorite is the AI dude who gives you an extra move, though it requires a reactor.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
Last Edit: 14 Mar 2018 14:26 by Gary Sax.
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds