October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Stupid Purchasing Decisions

More
03 Sep 2018 07:18 #280990 by repoman
I was over on BGG. Ok right off the bat that's probably a bad decision. Outside of looking up impartial data, I don't get much out of BGG but I was bored. So bored I actually clicked on a blog of some dude who has a million word post of all the brand new games he's played in the last two weeks. No joke, he must have played 10 totally new games to him. I kind of shuddered. I find my endurance for learning rule sets to be waning as I get older and 1 or 2 new rule books a month is hitting my limit let alone 10 in two weeks.

So I slowly back out of the blog and back to the main screen and there over on the right is an ad for a new edition of a game and my eyebrows go up in slight interest. I click on the ad. Another bad decision.

The game in question is Martin Wallace's Brass. There aren't too many economic games that I really like. Power Grid is one but Brass is another. This is a new deluxe version with new art and tweaked rules for better balance, though I was unaware that balance was an issue, and spanky new money tokens made out of that poker chip material. "Wow", says I, "That looks sweet." They also have a revamped edition of Birmingham the sequel to original Brass of which I know nothing. The price is $75 a game which is kinda steep but the edition does look pretty sweet.

The problem then is two fold. I know...I KNOW I will never get anybody to play this game with me outside of shlepping it to a convention or something. I know this!!! The second problem is that this was originally a kickstarter thing that ended in January or something and now it's on the publishers website where it is listed as "Pre-order". No other info as to expected printing/shipping. Just pre-oreder. Which I interpret to mean that it is just like a kickstarter but that they don't want to pay the vig to kickstarter so are trying it direct through their website.

I had that mouse pointer hovering over the order button. Lingering there. Just a click away! And then, in a moment of strength, I x-ed out of the browser window. I have averted what I know...I KNOW is a bad purchasing decision. Not just bad but stupid stupid stupid.

And yet...those super sweet "iron clay luxury gaming counters"...they linger in my mind...calling to me.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Msample, san il defanso, SuperflyPete, Frohike, SaMoKo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2018 07:23 #280991 by Sagrilarus
Wisdom comes with age.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Frohike, repoman

More
03 Sep 2018 08:18 - 03 Sep 2018 08:18 #280992 by san il defanso
Congratulations on your strength. No purchase is more overrated than the reprint upgrade. Even switching to a new edition is kind of dicey. I've given into this one a couple times, and I can confidently say it has never been worth it.

A new overhauled edition is a little different, although I think that's usually only worth the trouble for community games like D&D or 40K. Otherwise your usually fine leaving well enough alone.

I like Brass a lot, but I've never bought it. Anyone I know who enjoyed it with me already owns it. It's a pain to teach too.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2018 08:18 by san il defanso.

More
03 Sep 2018 08:41 #280994 by Josh Look
Nate, did you only ever play Fury of Dracula 3rd edition? That’s the most worthwhile upgrade possibly ever.

More
03 Sep 2018 09:09 #280995 by san il defanso

Josh Look wrote: Nate, did you only ever play Fury of Dracula 3rd edition? That’s the most worthwhile upgrade possibly ever.

Yes, that is one of the rare exceptions. Third edition is way better than second.

More
03 Sep 2018 10:45 #281000 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Stupid Purchasing Decisions
I enjoy Brass, but you need 4 players interested in economic games for it to be good. And to be honest, I prefer Age of Steam. The upgrade to fancy parts is unnecessary, the old edition worked fine.

If you're interested but feel playing it with a group may be tough, save a wad of cash with the iOS version.

More
03 Sep 2018 10:56 #281003 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Stupid Purchasing Decisions

SaMoKo wrote: I enjoy Brass, but you need 4 players interested in economic games for it to be good. And to be honest, I prefer Age of Steam. The upgrade to fancy parts is unnecessary, the old edition worked fine.

If you're interested but feel playing it with a group may be tough, save a wad of cash with the iOS version.

I'm sorry. Was I not clear:

iron clay luxury gaming counters

Ha, the fit has left me though. I think I shall be able to resist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, SaMoKo

More
03 Sep 2018 11:10 #281004 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Stupid Purchasing Decisions
Why do you even need that and why not just get a fancy set of poker chips that works with all games? Fucking iron clay. lol

I play a ton of economic games. He's a quick run down on the one that are good:

Age of Steam: Mostly play this. But some more maps if tempted by another game. The updated SteM is probably good too, haven't played it though.

Imperial: More fun and human than 18xx and brilliant in all ways.

The rest are TRASH. Those two you can play the fuck out of forever. And the only reason I haven't slashed it down to just Age of Steam is due to Imperial being so goddamn awesome in belongs in all libraries.

More
03 Sep 2018 11:37 #281006 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Stupid Purchasing Decisions
I love Imperial too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SaMoKo

More
03 Sep 2018 16:31 - 03 Sep 2018 22:08 #281016 by Cranberries
Looks like it is sitting at $80-$100 shipped. I wonder if it's possible to 3d print some pieces and cobble together a version.

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Sep 2018 22:08 by Cranberries.

More
03 Sep 2018 21:01 #281024 by Jackwraith
Fury 3rd Ed was not only a good reprint upgrade for me because of the streamlining of the game, but also because, two months before they announced 3rd Ed, I sold my out-of-print 2nd Ed copy for $160. Timing. It is everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
03 Sep 2018 22:49 - 03 Sep 2018 22:58 #281025 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Stupid Purchasing Decisions
Cranberries, don't bother man. Just wait for the Wiz Kids reprint, unless you really really want that FFG edition for whatever reason.

I've restrained myself from purchasing Railways of the World recently because I can already tell it's a game that I would learn thoroughly, get the family to play it a couple of times this year, and never get to the table again.

We can barely squeeze in a 90 minute game without people looking up at the clock or checking their phones. I'm kinda done here unless I find a group... which hasn't gone so well in the past.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2018 22:58 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Sep 2018 11:22 #281062 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Stupid Purchasing Decisions
If Wizkids were smart, they'd sell the pre-painted minis for Fury of Dracula in a little pack. I'm not about to re-buy what looks to basically be the same game for full price, but I'd totally toss some cash at them for a painted mini upgrade pack. Just saying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
04 Sep 2018 12:14 #281070 by southernman
I played the Brass Birmingham game with my euro group last week and hated it though they all liked it, but I also didn't like the original Brass. The clay chips are quite impressive though.

More
04 Sep 2018 12:16 #281071 by southernman

Sagrilarus wrote: Wisdom comes with age (expensive) mistakes.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds