October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

What would you expect to see in a CYBERPUNK GAME?

More
13 Dec 2018 18:30 #288098 by Scott Rogers
Hey all,

I have decided my next big game design will be a CYBERPUNK GAME. I'm thinking of something along the lines of Western Legends where players travel around a city doing jobs and crimes. A part of the game will be players "writing" software and going online to do all manner of things (stealing, hacking, giving players in the real world access, etc.)

What would you expect to see in a Cyberpunk themed game?

Thanks in advance!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2018 18:37 #288099 by WadeMonnig

Gotta have bikes (upgradable?) and cool cybernetic suits. Real life consequences for online activities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Rogers

More
13 Dec 2018 18:48 #288103 by DarthJoJo
A heavily urban setting, a vast gulf between the upper and lower classes with few in between, incredible technology that looks like garbage, physical augmentations (bio and mechanical), big businesses in power, neon advertising, sky the color of a TV turned to a dead channel...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, WadeMonnig, Scott Rogers

More
13 Dec 2018 19:15 #288109 by Michael Barnes
It must plug into a socket in the back of my skull or it is not authentic.

More
13 Dec 2018 19:40 #288110 by SaMoKo
A game where competing mega corporations perform schemes to push the world into their version of distopia. And hire expendable renegades against each other to slow down rivals.

More
13 Dec 2018 21:17 #288115 by Shellhead
A highly visual cyberspace where the data is represented by 3D graphics. Artificial intelligence. Vicious gangs. Cybernetics. Highly-addictive drugs that enhance intelligence or reflexes. Bio-tech. Corporate espionage and even warfare. Blended cultural influences. High population density. Flying cars. Hardboiled detectives. Urban dystopia with a dense population. Skills that you can jack into your head with an implant.

More
13 Dec 2018 21:53 #288119 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: A highly visual cyberspace where the data is represented by 3D graphics. Artificial intelligence. Vicious gangs. Cybernetics. Highly-addictive drugs that enhance intelligence or reflexes. Bio-tech. Corporate espionage and even warfare. Blended cultural influences. High population density. Flying cars. Hardboiled detectives. Urban dystopia with a dense population. Skills that you can jack into your head with an implant.

. . . and a pony.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis, Scott Rogers

More
14 Dec 2018 04:19 #288121 by Whoshim
Maybe it is less cyber, but this MtG card has always been one that has resonated with me:

More
14 Dec 2018 07:57 #288122 by Sevej
Much closer tie between meatspace & cyberspace. Make some funky rules on how things operate based on that. Share ownership of a small company that gained through a virtual combat, using cyberspace as traveling means, and... may be put dead people into the cyberspace.

More
14 Dec 2018 07:59 #288123 by Jackwraith
Oooo, yeah. Umbilicus to bounce the Smokestack back to your hand when you needed some space to keep your own lands, etc. on the board. I remember that. Everyone I played hated the Smokestack deck. /threadjack.

More
14 Dec 2018 09:10 #288126 by Legomancer
See if you can track down a copy of Edge City (can't link to BGG at the moment). It's a sort of cyberpunk-Talisman game that came out in the late-80s/early 90s. It's not good, but it's a good starting point.

I personally like retro-futuristic takes, so I'd want it to be the 2010s as seen by the 1980s. That is, I want it to be the "bank of pay phones" scene from Neuromancer, where Gibson absolutely misses personal cell phones while envisioning tons of other advancements. I definitely want to see the idea that "jacking in" in order to simulate physically rooting through files is seen as more futuristic than searching with a keyboard.

And no magic. Looking at you, Shadowrun. The whole point of cyberpunk makes magic superfluous.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, sornars, Scott Rogers

More
14 Dec 2018 09:22 #288130 by Hadik
One faction should be outsiders from the forgotten rural landscapes. They’ve resisted enculturation and are now using technology to overturn the status quo. Only they elect a dolt who lies to everyone. Oh wait...

More
14 Dec 2018 09:46 #288134 by Shellhead
George Alec Effinger did anticipate cellphones, except that he called them beltphones. I consider his When Gravity Fails to be my favorite cyberpunk novel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Myers, GorillaGrody, Scott Rogers

More
14 Dec 2018 10:05 #288137 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: George Alec Effinger did anticipate cellphones, except that he called them beltphones. I consider his When Gravity Fails to be my favorite cyberpunk novel.

Pournelle had smart phones in The Mote in God's Eye. The smart part at any rate, not the phone part.

More
14 Dec 2018 19:28 #288191 by Whoshim
Ray Bradbury predicted smart watches in the great short story "The Murderer".

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds