October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

What ACCENT are you speaking?

More
29 Jul 2022 12:05 #334645 by mezike
My spouse has been in the UK for around twenty years and to me (and everyone I suppose) she still has a thick Hungarian accent, but whenever we go there for a holiday her friends and family take the piss out of how English she sounds.

Over the years I’ve had a few friends and family do the six-month Antipodean backpack tour and they all came back with a twang to their voice. So I think it’s likely your voice has changed to some degree even though it doesn’t seem that way and it still stands out in comparison to the locals.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2022 12:20 #334647 by Legomancer

Rliyen wrote: Born and raised in Louisiana my entire life and never had an accent, and it's funny to me when, after people find out where I'm from, say, "You don't have an accent."

Of course not, New Orleans, Slidell, Metairie, Baton Rouge don't have any accents at all. Everybody seems to think that Randy Quaid's accent in the Big Easy is how everyone talks down here. Um, no. I tell people, "The only way you can tell that I'm from the South is I say 'Y'all' (which isn't a marker so much anymore) and I lurve my sweet tea."

Same! Grew up in the NOLA 'burbs, no accent. My only indicators are "y'all" and "lagniappe", along with a few other regional terms.

However, the year that I went to school in Lafayette I somehow picked up a thick Cajun accent. Had no idea, it freaked even me out when I went back home to New Orleans and heard myself. It didn't last.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
29 Jul 2022 12:58 #334649 by the_jake_1973
I was in basic training with a dude named Boudreaux and his accent was thiccy thicc bayou. It took me near 3 weeks to really decipher him talking at full tilt. watching Swamp People on the history channel always makes me think of him.

More
29 Jul 2022 13:13 #334650 by Disgustipater

Not Sure wrote: You should have avoided the inevitability of "hella" and gotten straight to the real issues dividing California, namely is there a "the" in front of freeway numbers!

That one I will *not* concede. Now any time I hear someone do that I just think of the Californians SNL skit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

More
29 Jul 2022 13:21 #334651 by Rliyen

Legomancer wrote:

Rliyen wrote: Born and raised in Louisiana my entire life and never had an accent, and it's funny to me when, after people find out where I'm from, say, "You don't have an accent."

Of course not, New Orleans, Slidell, Metairie, Baton Rouge don't have any accents at all. Everybody seems to think that Randy Quaid's accent in the Big Easy is how everyone talks down here. Um, no. I tell people, "The only way you can tell that I'm from the South is I say 'Y'all' (which isn't a marker so much anymore) and I lurve my sweet tea."

Same! Grew up in the NOLA 'burbs, no accent. My only indicators are "y'all" and "lagniappe", along with a few other regional terms.

However, the year that I went to school in Lafayette I somehow picked up a thick Cajun accent. Had no idea, it freaked even me out when I went back home to New Orleans and heard myself. It didn't last.

Makin' groceries. Up front. Suck the heads. The pronunciation of Burgundy and Calliope. HOW THE F DO YOU PRONOUNCE Tchoupitoulas (wife and tourists that stop me in the CBD)?? Maringouin.

The last one was for my wife. She is not native and when I brought her home from CA, we drove all the way back. When going through western LA, she saw a exit marker for the town of Maringouin. She asked me how to pronounce it. I told her "Marin-Gwen". She asked me what it meant, I told her, "It's Acadian for mosquito."

More
29 Jul 2022 14:34 #334652 by RobertB

jason10mm wrote: Growing up a major city in the south but with Yankee parents my accent is all over the place.

But good grief it's not "soda" and definitely ain't "pop", it's "a coke", the actual brand is inferred ,:p

Just like it is "a slice of pizza", not just "a slice" and pie is what you eat later!

Yep. "coke" is what they called a "pop" in Houston. My roommates in the Army were all from NY or eastern PA, so I picked up "soda". That didn't stick.

Maybe they don't call it this in southern WV now, but down there the playground slide is called a "slicky slide." I was in the middle of a conversation with my coworkers, "<something something> slicky slide <something something>", and my coworkers were like, "WHAT? Slicky slide? What are you, five?"

My wife's from the northern part of WV. It's "you-uns" instead of "y'all," and you "leave the dog out," instead of letting the dog out.

More
29 Jul 2022 17:18 #334654 by Disgustipater
I’m pretty sure this was posted here before when it was released, but seems like a good thing to revisit:
www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
29 Jul 2022 19:20 - 29 Jul 2022 19:37 #334655 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What ACCENT are you speaking?
Yous all've got accents even if you say you don't.... you know that right? :lol: I feel like it's a bit of a US thing for people to say they have no accent. Maybe it's got a slightly different meaning to how I am interpreting.... but trust me.... yous all've got 'em. Might be different to those around you, something more "middle of the road" - but that's still an accent.

That NY quiz is fun. From memory it thinks I am from the North East. There's an English one too I think, which probably unsurprisingly makes me a Londoner (I think there's a school of thought that the Aus accent is like a half Irish half cockney kind of thing. Kiwi of course has much more of a Scottish influence).

Edit: Just did the quiz and it thinks I'm from Jersey, NO or NY :lol:
Last edit: 29 Jul 2022 19:37 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, birdman37, ecargo, SteveK, n815e

More
29 Jul 2022 19:25 #334656 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What ACCENT are you speaking?

southernman wrote: Kiwi. Enough said (don't think a couple of decades in the UK has changed it much).
In case most of you can't tell the difference between Kiwis and Aussies they speak funny :whistle: .

North or South though? (Or Auckland v the rest maybe?) Is there like a cultivated NZ accent too?

More
30 Jul 2022 05:50 #334660 by Greg Aleknevicus
I lived in Ireland for a time. A friend there would occasionally comment on my accent by saying "Imagine being afflicted with that."

I've only ever received one compliment on my accent. Again, in Ireland, this time by a girl who liked how I said "ass."

More
30 Jul 2022 09:18 #334661 by jason10mm
Thickest cajun accent I ever heard was from this asian guy. Sitting in lecture hearing him talk was like watching the worst dubbed Godzilla movie ever. I always wondered if that combo got him laid always or never :P

What is the cutest accent? For me it's gotta be irish on a wee lass. If my daughter had that accent she'd be riding a pony around the house already :P

Most amusing has got to be a norwegian/swedish accent on an otherwise burly guy. Watching "The Norsemen" comedy show is hilarious because all these viking raiders have that rather high pitched fluting scandinavian accent that makes it real hard to take them seriously.

I admit that I have been brainwashed into thinking that the posh brit clipped accent is the default for all historical/fantasy shows, to include ones set in italy, greece, south america, japan, or space :P

More
30 Jul 2022 11:19 #334663 by ubarose
When I was in college my friend was a linguist major and talked me into volunteering as subject for some accent assessment thing. They eliminated me as an outlier because my accent was all over the place. I was told it was mostly mid-Atlantic, with an unusually strong glottal stop, but many inconsistencies in certain words. It made sense to me as my dad was military so we moved a lot growing up. I seem to have hung on to the pronunciation of words from whatever place and time I learned them.

So no matter where I am, people think I talk funny. Even my own daughter mocks the way I say certain things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, HiveGod, mezike, n815e

More
30 Jul 2022 13:34 - 30 Jul 2022 13:35 #334664 by HiveGod
Everyone has an ideolect. While language is a communal phenomenon, everyone uses it uniquely. I cherish these differences as they make life more interesting.

As for me, I'm Southern California born and bred, so I totally don't have an accent, dude.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2022 13:35 by HiveGod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, mc, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
30 Jul 2022 16:56 #334667 by ecargo
Californian here; moved around a bit, but lived in the central and northern parts for most of my life. That NYT quiz pins me exactly to the nearest large city.

Carbonated beverages are soda, a group of people are "you guys" (though I've tried to eliminate this a bit), and I definitely used "hella" in high school, which was more of a northern-specific thing at the time. All my Rs are hard Rs, rhotic all the way.

As an aside, I lived in England from the time I was 1-5-years-old and came back with a British accent. It's all gone now, of course, but sometimes crops up with my inclination to say things like "butt-tin" instead of "butt-uhn".

Also, I've never heard anyone from California call it "Cali". That seems to be a thing non-Californians do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, HiveGod, Disgustipater, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
30 Jul 2022 17:15 #334670 by Disgustipater

ecargo wrote: Also, I've never heard anyone from California call it "Cali". That seems to be a thing non-Californians do.

It's the same for the nicknames for San Fransisco. No one from the area ever called it anything but "San Fransisco" or "the city," and it was immediately obvious when a person said something ridiculous like "Frisco."
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, HiveGod, ecargo, Dive-Dive-Dive!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds