October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

What ACCENT are you speaking?

More
02 Aug 2022 15:40 #334739 by RobertB

Shellhead wrote: I call soda pop "pop," but Indianapolis was contested territory between the pop and the coke folks. I didn't hear "soda" often until I went to IU, where many of my classmates were from the northeastern part of the U.S. They insisted that "pop" was what they called their dad, but then they also called their grandfather "peepaw," which sounds insulting. And inconsistent. Shouldn't that be peepop?

Back home for me, grandparents are mamaw (first 'a' as in 'flat', second 'a' as in 'flaw') and papaw.

And just in case you don't understand an accent, subtitles!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2022 16:59 #334743 by Shellhead

Rliyen wrote: Born and raised in Louisiana my entire life and never had an accent, and it's funny to me when, after people find out where I'm from, say, "You don't have an accent."

Of course not, New Orleans, Slidell, Metairie, Baton Rouge don't have any accents at all. Everybody seems to think that Randy Quaid's accent in the Big Easy is how everyone talks down here. Um, no. I tell people, "The only way you can tell that I'm from the South is I say 'Y'all' (which isn't a marker so much anymore) and I lurve my sweet tea."

One of the funniest interactions was when I was in college working for a hardware store. Had a older man, local, come in and wanted some pipe cut. So, while cutting the pipe, we were talking and he asked me where I was from. When I told him that I was born and raised here, he said, "Huh, you don't sound like from you're around here." Not mean, just surprised at my response. When I asked him where he thought I was from, he said, "With the way you speak, you sound like you came from a far off, exotic place... like Michigan."

I burst out laughing at that. I assured him that I was not from Michigan. 33 years on, and that still makes me chuckle.

The only place you'll probably hear accents are in the rural parts of the state, like in Northern LA, since there's crossover from Arkansas. Some in Lafayette (Cajun), and closer to the Texas border in Lake Charles.

Overall, we are a very non-accenty place down here, in my opinion.

My sister grew up in the Midwest, but has lived in Shreveport since around 2000. She now has a very southern accent. Her husband is from northern Louisiana but also has relatives in Wisconsin. He is not Brett Favre, but has the exact same accent. My parents were from Minnesota and also moved to Shreveport around 2000. Before Shreveport, they spent 30 years living in Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri. My dad died in 2008 and never lost his Minnesota accent. My mom lived until 2018 and picked up a partial southern accent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
02 Aug 2022 17:02 #334744 by Shellhead

RobertB wrote: Back home for me, grandparents are mamaw (first 'a' as in 'flat', second 'a' as in 'flaw') and papaw.

My East Coast friends in college referred to grandma as "meemaw."

More
02 Aug 2022 17:45 #334745 by Rliyen

jason10mm wrote: Thickest cajun accent I ever heard was from this asian guy. Sitting in lecture hearing him talk was like watching the worst dubbed Godzilla movie ever. I always wondered if that combo got him laid always or never :P

What is the cutest accent? For me it's gotta be irish on a wee lass. If my daughter had that accent she'd be riding a pony around the house already :P

Most amusing has got to be a norwegian/swedish accent on an otherwise burly guy. Watching "The Norsemen" comedy show is hilarious because all these viking raiders have that rather high pitched fluting scandinavian accent that makes it real hard to take them seriously.

I admit that I have been brainwashed into thinking that the posh brit clipped accent is the default for all historical/fantasy shows, to include ones set in italy, greece, south america, japan, or space :P

If you haven't watched Ari Eldjarn's special on Netflix "Pardon my Icelandic" you need to. When you mentioned the viking accents, he had a bit about Thor from the movies, as opposed how Thor would actually sound. :laugh:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds