October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

What about music?

More
11 Feb 2008 10:41 #2387 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:What about music?
I still have a lot of respect for Pearl Jam. While Nirvana was all "we don't want the fame", it didn't stop them from being on Rolling Stone and MTV and every other place under the sun whenever the chance arose.

Pearl Jam said, "we don't want to be famous", threw buckets of money away by not doing videos/promotions, went on a listener-alienation spree to shake off any of the 'grunge' followers who were tagging along, and pretty much made good on their word. They emereged again once it was clear that what was left were their real fans. Think about it--though Pearl Jam did pretty well for themselves, they could've made BILLIONS by stepping up as the media whores in the void created by Kurt's suicide. They were the only band 'big' enough to do just that. But they didn't want it...and the whole thing floundered under lesser groups that just weren't capable or fit of carrying that mantle, and the "grunge movement" died a sputtering death.

Sure, Vedder can be a pretensious prick sometimes, but there's no denying his (or the rest of the group's) talent.

Anyway...

Stuff I listen to nowadays: Foo Fighters, Avenged Sevenfold, Garbage, Pearl Jam, Prince, Plumb, White Stripes, Freezepop, Lacuna Coil, Smashing Pumpkins, Queens of the Stoneage...and of course a lot of the classic stuff that people here have already listed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2008 10:50 #2390 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:What about music?
Mik- that's a tough call, they're all pretty different. The knee-jerk response is LONDON CALLING, but there are times when I think SANDINISTA is pretty fucking brilliant- if not because every song is great, but because it's the sound of a band really pushing itself- maybe in too many directions at once. Too many great songs across the catalog. "Spanish Bombs" is probably my favorite track...

Ken- the whole "we hate fame" thing was part of their schtick...it was a brilliant piece of anti-marketing.

Freezepop? What the hell man, I didn't have you pegged for that sort of thing.

Prince. That begs a question- PURPLE RAIN or SIGN O' THE TIMES?

More
11 Feb 2008 10:58 - 11 Feb 2008 10:59 #2391 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:What about music?
Purple Rain all the way, baby. I could listen to that start to finish anytime.

I could buy Pearl Jam as anti-marketers if they hadn't kept it going for so long. Seemed legit. Even so, they threw away a lot of money and could've made more going the other route if that was their intention.

Then again...they're still around releasing albums when few from that period of music are....so maybe it worked out just right for them all the same.

"F R E-squared Z E P O P....Freezepop forever..."
Last edit: 11 Feb 2008 10:59 by Ken B..

More
11 Feb 2008 10:59 #2392 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:What about music?
Michael Barnes wrote:

Mik- that's a tough call, they're all pretty different. The knee-jerk response is LONDON CALLING, but there are times when I think SANDINISTA is pretty fucking brilliant- if not because every song is great, but because it's the sound of a band really pushing itself- maybe in too many directions at once. Too many great songs across the catalog. "Spanish Bombs" is probably my favorite track...

Ken- the whole "we hate fame" thing was part of their schtick...it was a brilliant piece of anti-marketing.

Freezepop? What the hell man, I didn't have you pegged for that sort of thing.

Prince. That begs a question- PURPLE RAIN or SIGN O' THE TIMES?

I'd have to go with Sandinista. For the reason you listed. It has a little bit of punk, jazz, reggae, etc. It seems like they were trying out different styles of music. My favorite is "Something about England" because of the history lesson it tells.

More
11 Feb 2008 11:19 - 11 Feb 2008 11:20 #2394 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:What about music?
I only started with "London Calling" and "Combat Rock" on the Clash yet, but I do prefer "Combat Rock". That song with the 'Taxi Driver'-quotes is awesome (and 'Rock the Casbah' of course, and track 10 and 12, agh all of them).
Last edit: 11 Feb 2008 11:20 by Schweig!.

More
11 Feb 2008 14:07 #2402 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:What about music?
While I listen/love all the Clash albums I have (apart from Sandinista ... wasn't in to reggae much so it never hooked) I probably rate 'Give 'Em Enough Rope' top for the rough/brash rock/punk that was just a bit more refined than their earliest tracks and thus really stood out - and then 'London's Calling' was just song writing, ideas, and music at their Zenith .... oh to have been in London for those short few years - yeah, OK, I know you yanks had some great Clash concerts over there but I was down in New Zealand which was well off the track for touring bands ... although 'The Fall' used to come regularly and there was actually an album recorded downunder that was only released in NZ & Aus, Fall In a Hole .

Favourite Fall track Mike ? .... I am not that knowledgeable on all their work but liked 'Totally Wired' back then and still do now - or is that far to mainstream ? ;-)

More
11 Feb 2008 14:08 #2403 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:What about music?
I LIKE Nirvana. I saw them live. They were what angsty teenager girls needed (in my case). Sellout is a nice term to throw around, as long as we all keep having dayjobs that pay the bills... I know a number of really talented people who will never make a career of music, or who tried, and decided they liked eating (or that their kids did...).

I don't think I own any now (I finally bit the bullet and threw out my cassettes the last time I moved, having not unboxed them for several years) but I do still like them.

On the topic of music - Pandora.com radio is amazing for finding new stuff. I am somewhat aided by coworkers with good, matching taste of music, but it's great for finding weird shit I like, but could not expect other people to. (Such as the Finnish Folk Thrash). It keeps me from being stuck to a single rigid set of bands, stuck in the same musical time zone I was in highschool...

More
11 Feb 2008 14:27 #2409 by Michael Barnes
I saw Nirvana too...I can't remember who they were playing with (some 2nd-string Sub Pop band, maybe Tar or Seaweed? Or both?) and there were like 20 people in the crowd. Kind of weird, in retrospect. This was back when they all looked like total metal heads and peformed metal songs.

Nothing wrong with making a living playing music at all and I don't begrudge anyone for doing so...has long as they're honest about it and don't try to make their living being one of these major label acts that bitch and whine about being famous and making money, a la Nirvana. I think Billy Joel has a lot more honesty and integrity than Nirvana.

I do actually like Dave Grohl. I don't care for Foo Fighters, but he's a pretty damn good musician and songwriter...I figure if he's cool enough to hang out with Killing Joke, Voivod, and Motorhead then he's probably alright.

Thaad- if you like that Finnish folk thrash, you ought to check out Skyforger from Latvia...actually, a lot of black metal bands do some folk stuff, Drudkh has a pretty nice album of Ukranian folk music called "The Swan Road".

More
11 Feb 2008 15:48 #2420 by dave
Replied by dave on topic Re:What about music?
Too lazy to post my own list, but:

* dysjunct and Harkonnen13: I dig your lists (if not your userids).
* I don't care about past, future, or media. I listen to Nevermind and it sounds pretty goddam good.
* One current band with the Ameritrash spirit is High on Fire.

- d

More
11 Feb 2008 16:38 #2425 by Michael Barnes
The new High on Fire record "Death is This Communion" is their best yet- check out the lyrics to "Waste of Tiamat"

Twisting, falling, the eaagles they drop from the sky
Without warning the nuclear beast shows its eyes
chaos ramped the cult of severed head rise
Among the ashes, could not forsee strength or size

Haunting screaming, gone in a flash of your eyes
Priestly being meant nothing more than their guise
Fallen angels light up the sky with demise
Blackened hydra makes way as dark men conspire

Demons swarming, attacking the few who survive
Armageddon, the heaven and hell will collide
cometh conqueror, black death is alloted its time
Princely power, to walk through the blood is divine

Woo ha!

More
12 Feb 2008 05:38 #2477 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:What about music?
Michael Barnes wrote:

I do actually like Dave Grohl. I don't care for Foo Fighters, but he's a pretty damn good musician and songwriter...I figure if he's cool enough to hang out with Killing Joke, Voivod, and Motorhead then he's probably alright.

Don't forget Tenacious D.

More
12 Feb 2008 07:31 #2486 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:What about music?
If this doesn't scream Ameritrash then nothing does:

More
12 Feb 2008 19:26 #2577 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:What about music?
Ever seen Tromeo and Juliet? 'House Capulet' 'House Monteque' 'House MotorHead'

They had Lemmie be the role of the Narrator. He is very well spoken... but very scary looking.

More
12 Feb 2008 23:20 #2594 by Michael Barnes
When I saw Motorhead back in '95, they came out and Lemmy said "We are Motorhead" and immediately went into "Ace of Spades". Then they played it again for an encore. Totally badass.

More
13 Feb 2008 00:39 #2609 by mikelawson
Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:What about music?
Hmm. Favorite music.... I'll feel pretty much at home with everything except Country and "Diva music" (think "My Heart Will go on".) Even rap doesn't bother me much anymore, even though it's the music of choice for the kids with the tricked out Civics and the thumping bass you can hear about 1/2 mile away.

Favorite Band? That'd be Rush, but unlike the crowd, I like Permanent Waves over Moving Pictures. Hell, my favorite Rush album is probably Counterparts. It's kind of like AC/DC: a lot of people like Back in Black the most, but I like Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap better.

Other bands that I've listened to recently: The Ramones, Triumph, Led Zeppelin, Alice in Chains, U2, The Who, Iron Maiden, Linkin Park, The Clash, and The Kinks.

Hey, I've got the kids calling the cardboard skeleton we hang on the front door for Halloween "Eddie", so I must be doing something right.

--Mike L.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds