October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Best Boardgame you've played recently....

More
27 Sep 2008 16:48 - 27 Sep 2008 16:49 #11927 by Stephen Avery
What is the best new (or new to you) boardgame you've played recently?

For me its been D&D 4th edition. I call it a boardgame because it is totally a tactical miniature game within a confined terrain. Role playing aspects take a back seat to the powers and abilities of the charaters and it is very much about when and where to expend your resources and where to position yourself and teammates.

Initially I did not care for the game at all. It fell short on many aspects of RPGs that I love and I felt that the use of powers and healing surges gave the character a very cookie cutter video game feel( Hi I'm Guiles Streetfighter the Elven Ranger with my repetior of 3 devestating attacks, 4 medium attacks and a power up.) Reguarding the game as a tac mini or open ended boardgame though is a totally different story. The game really shines with a group of 4 or 5 players when powers, tactics and postioning all gel together in a delightfully brutal manangerie of choices and effects. Now that our group has become familiar with each other's powers, there has been some very exciting gameplay with combats being razor close to going either way. Players need to carefully spend their resources and work well together to squeak out a victory.

Game balance has never been great in Dungeons and Dragons and they continue the legacy with 4E. I'm absolutely convinced that a party of thieves would decimate opposition as they are one of the big damage dealers in the game (Strikers) still have reasonable hit points and a high armor class. However, the other character classes can each be very effective as well if utilized wisely. Our Warlord does pathetic damage is easier to hit but he is MVP more often than not because of his ability to move people's characters on his turn.
"Oh please Mr. Warlord,I would be ever so grateful if you moved me out of the way of the GIANT FREAKIN' BALL that just dropped out of the ceiling and is about to crush me flat..."

I have come to fully embrace D&D 4e not as a great RPG (sublimnal: Spirit of the Century) but as a great Boardgame. Get yourself some dice, a pack of minis, a few dungeon tiles and a Players Handbook and most importantly some Fun Gamers and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Steve"D&D4ME"Avery
Last edit: 27 Sep 2008 16:49 by Stephen Avery.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2008 22:46 #11933 by Merkles
For me, probably Cash N Guns. Great fun and fast game...can play it with friends and with young family, too. A blast (not sure if it is worth the expansion, though--contemplating.

More
27 Sep 2008 23:00 #11935 by metalface13
Hmm ... does throwing Tomb of Ice into Descent and starting a new Road to Legend campaign count as a new game?

In my group it's me as overlord and two guys with two heroes each. One guy picked Shiver (the new tomb of ice magic guy with the aura 4 ability on the OL's turn) and Laughin Baldur (the guy who can use two-handed weapons as one-handed). I think the new heroes from Tomb of Ice are pretty cool. Shiver's ability has got me a few times when I've forgotten about it and Laughin Baldur can really dish out the damage, but at the same time he has a base armor or one so he's takes a beating fairly often too.

As for the new monsters, so far I've gotten out shades and a medusa. Both were pretty fun to play with.

I think D&D 4E sounds pretty awesome, but the only guys I know to play it with are my Descent buddies. None of us have every REALLY played an RPG outside of the typical 12-year-old D&D phase and none of us have ever been a dungeon master. And besides, I've sunk hundreds of dollars into Descent now so it doesn't seem very economical to switch to another, similar game - even if it is more open ended.

More
27 Sep 2008 23:05 #11936 by DeletedUser
Tide of Iron for me. My friends and I usually play games with a fantasy and/or sci-fi theme, so it's refreshing to play a game with a historical background.

I've seen so many mixed reviews of this game, including a recent comparison to a steaming turd, which I just don't get. The rules are just the right level of complexity for my gaming friends and the game is really aesthetically pleasing.

Yeah, some of the scenarios are unbalanced, but the balance can be easily corrected if that is important to you. For myself, I don't mind taking the weaker side playing against great odds. It just means more kudos if you manage to pull it off. The fun is in the playing, not the winning.

I'm planning on getting the Days of the Fox expansion in the next couple of weeks and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the new scenario book being published.

More
27 Sep 2008 23:09 #11937 by DeletedUser
Merkles wrote:

For me, probably Cash N Guns. Great fun and fast game...can play it with friends and with young family, too. A blast (not sure if it is worth the expansion, though--contemplating.

I went into my FLGS on Thursday to pick this one up and they had sold the last copy in store on the Wednesday. :angry:

I've read the rules (5 mins) and I just know my buddies are gonna love this one!

More
28 Sep 2008 01:15 - 28 Sep 2008 01:16 #11940 by ubarose
Powerpuff Girls: Saving the World Before Bedtime. I've been playing a lot of boring Eurocrap lately. I found Powerpuff Girls at the Goodwill for $2 last week. Craig Van Ness comes through again. If you have kids, it's totally worth picking up if you run across it. Nice little superhero, adventure game that plays in about 20-30 minutes. Way more fun than Nefertiti.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2008 01:16 by ubarose.

More
28 Sep 2008 03:01 #11941 by daveroswell
ubarose wrote:

Powerpuff Girls: Saving the World Before Bedtime. I've been playing a lot of boring Eurocrap lately. I found Powerpuff Girls at the Goodwill for $2 last week. Craig Van Ness comes through again. If you have kids, it's totally worth picking up if you run across it. Nice little superhero, adventure game that plays in about 20-30 minutes. Way more fun than Nefertiti.

gar. I like the way the Powerpuff games play, never hit the good sales for this.

More
28 Sep 2008 13:36 #11952 by southernman
New games I've played in the last month or two have been Arkham Horror, Galactic Emperor, Cutthroat Caverns, Starcraft, Last Night on Earth, Star Wars: Episode 1 - Clash of the Lightsabers.

And one stands out head and shoulders above the rest - Arkham Horror. It has the rpg factor that actually gets you feeling you are fighting for you life, and it's a great fun game.

Starcraft and Last Night on Earth come in a honourable (but distinct) 2nd tier, with Star Wars: Episode 1 - Clash of the Lightsabers heading the other two because it is a fun little game that I can play against my 9yr old lad and it just gives me more fun and feels more complete than Galactic Emperor or Cutthroat Caverns.

More
28 Sep 2008 17:06 #11958 by Schweig!
Close Action. It's a game about sailing warships in Napoleonic times. I liked the simultaneous movement and combat aspect of Wings of War, but was looking for something more complex and thematic. I found it here. The rules while overwhelming at first are all really make sense and are surprisingly exception-free. Moreover it completely suffices if only one play knows all the rules, the others basically only need to know how to plot movement. Most importantly the game is very fun, so it's satisfying to me as a grognard and to my friends who are AT fans.

More
28 Sep 2008 21:15 #11966 by Ken B.
Cutthroat Caverns. We had so much fun with it that I went ahead and picked up the first expansion.

More
28 Sep 2008 22:30 #11973 by Gary Sax
Guess it's probably FAB:Bulge. Though I do look forward to a new FAB game as I love the system but the Bulge is only so so for me in terms of interest.

I think I blew up almost every bridge I could get my hands on in my last game, my opponent was shocked by my orgy of bridge destruction.

More
29 Sep 2008 10:38 #12001 by Bulwyf
Best new to me game would have to be Roma. Carnage, theivery, wanton destruction and a bit of luck make for a great 2-player game. Many games end in 10 minutes or less but evey once and a while you get a 30 minute epic battle. Now that I've played Roma I get pissed off when I think about all the time I wasted playing RftG.

Manoooovre arrives tomorrow. That should make for a good time too.

-Will

More
29 Sep 2008 11:15 #12008 by Black Barney
Agricola. Just got it for a birthday a couple weeks ago. It's frickin' amazing. Taps into all my old CCG habits. I loves it.

More
29 Sep 2008 11:37 #12011 by Michael Barnes
Hrm...I've noticed that almost everything I've played new lately has been crap...THE WORLD CUP GAME is my favorite game that I've played all year and I still want to play it more, so that says a lot to me. But I'd say that the best game I've played recently is CONFLICT OF HEROES- I think it may be "the one" in terms of WWII tactical games. I didn't even really want it, having not thoroughly played ToI, CC:E, or ASLSK enough, but I got it anyway and so far it's kind of blowing me away. Simple, very rules-light, but it manages a lot of detail and a really amazing sense of flow and dynamism that even ASL can't touch.

TOMB sucked, HERO IK sucked, WEALTH OF NATIONS sucked...a lot of decent but not great games have come and gone this year but the highlights have been few and far between. Still holding out for BSG to top it all.

More
29 Sep 2008 11:49 #12012 by Aarontu
I wouldn't apply "best game" to any of the new stuff I played lately, so I'll go with Citadels, which is always good.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds