October 09, 2023
2506 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2705 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Best Boardgame you've played recently....

More
29 Sep 2008 11:51 #12014 by Mr. Bistro
Michael Barnes wrote:

TOMB sucked.

LIES!

Right now I'm enjoying A Touch of Evil, and am still loving BSG. I'm running a PBEM version of BSG now which I was afraid wouldn't work due to no one being face-to-face. The result has been fun as the players have worked around it in interesting ways.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2008 12:39 #12016 by Ken B.
Michael Barnes wrote:

TOMB sucked

Does TOMB really suck, MB? That's on my "to get" list, it looks great, like Dungeon reincarnated. What's wrong wif it?

More
29 Sep 2008 12:58 #12019 by ubarose
Ken B. wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

TOMB sucked

Does TOMB really suck, MB? That's on my "to get" list, it looks great, like Dungeon reincarnated. What's wrong wif it?

Man, I hope it doesn't suck. I just blew my birthday money on it. It's supposed to be here tomorrow. :ohmy:

More
29 Sep 2008 13:06 - 29 Sep 2008 13:09 #12022 by Michael Barnes
It's going to be in the next Review Rodeo...which may be this week.

It does suck. It lures you in with the promise of a really cool concept, tons of cards, lots of items, and a gigantic pile of heroes. The problem is that it's very much like those crappy games that flooded hobby shops in the mid-1990s, right before SETTLERS happened- it's a really sloppy design, which could be fine if it was at least fun but it's not.

Most of the game seems like it's spent with players trying to read tiny, 5 point font text on the back of hero cards (meaning that picking a hero out of 10 or 12 of them takes 10 minutes for slow players) or waiting for somebody to finish fighting (which generally means losing all their characters) to take their turn. I also think the way the treasure/VP thing works is total garbage (you can either bank that Really Cool Item for guaranteed VPs or put it on one of your heroes that have a life expectancy of about two turns). The heroes are useless, there's absolutely no character development or advancement, and you spend most of the game just going back to the inn to get more guys. And it doesn't really help to have a bigger party since combat is a one-on-one thing. I _never_ complain about odds in a game, but TOMB has the most fucked up odds I've ever seen due to this goofy, contrived dice system.

It has a few rules layers too many and is way too icony-texty to compare favorably to DUNGEON's simplicity and straightforwardness.

You guys might dig it though, definitely try it at least.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2008 13:09 by Michael Barnes.

More
29 Sep 2008 13:11 #12023 by Ken B.
Translation: It sucks ass, but you guys might enjoy it.

:laugh:

I want a game where a big party of fools go wading in, get in over their head, some of them survive and find cool shit so I can roll more dice against the next batch of beasties.

More
29 Sep 2008 13:22 #12025 by Michael Barnes
Well, that's pretty much what you get in TOMB. Just don't expect that cool shit to stick around long unless you don't want to use it.

The stupidest thing about the design is the setup...everybody sort of mutually fills the rooms by putting cards face down into them...so you're supposed to kind of remember where you put the traps and monsters versus the good loot. After everything is filled up and the game starts, you're a better man than I if you can remember where anything is, particularly in the 4-5 card rooms. Better to just deal them out and skip that part of it.

More
29 Sep 2008 13:44 #12026 by Schweig!
Michael Barnes wrote:

You guys might dig it though, definitely try it at least.

You forgot to set that last sentence in red font.

More
29 Sep 2008 13:59 #12027 by Michael Barnes
Why doesn't he just post one ur-review?

There were things I liked and things I didn't like about this game, but you may like it.

I'm going to start doing my pull-quote in gold since everything I say is GOLDEN and I do not speak the words of Christ like Vasel does...

If you don't like this game, you can go fuck yourself you worthless gamer shit. I am the ultimate arbiter of what is good and bad about gaming. Bigger than Jesus.

More
29 Sep 2008 14:15 #12028 by Shellhead
What I want out of a dungeon crawl game:

Multi-player, double-blind Descent, only with a faster, cleaner combat system and a more complex map/layout. Decent graphics, or at least much better than Tomb. Direct interaction in the form of battle between parties of adventurers that happen to meet, as well as combat with monsters and difficulties with traps. In other words, a serious version of Mertwig's Maze with more dungeon time and less travel between dungeons. My impression of Tomb is that it offers none of the above.

More
29 Sep 2008 14:18 #12029 by Stephen Avery
Shellhead. The game you're describing is MAgeknight Dungeons. Another great underated game that got panned becuse of its collectable nature.

Its is like descent light complete with action points , tactical manuvering, and a take that element in the form of spawn.

Steve"MK"Avery

More
29 Sep 2008 15:04 #12031 by Space Ghost
Ken B. wrote:

Translation: It sucks ass, but you guys might enjoy it.

:laugh:

I want a game where a big party of fools go wading in, get in over their head, some of them survive and find cool shit so I can roll more dice against the next batch of beasties.

I'm with Ken.

I have been saying it for months: Tomb = Aggravation + Dungeon. If you like the parts, then adding them together has to be good (and, like Uba, mine should be showing up any day now, so it better not be a total pile of shit). I think that I will be more for randomly filling the rooms with treasure -- why try to interject strategy into such a beautiful killfest.

More
29 Sep 2008 20:28 - 29 Sep 2008 20:28 #12061 by metalface13
My brother played Tomb at GenCon and really liked it. He's not as gung ho as I am about adventure games so I am kinda interested in it.

To me A Touch of Evil is really looking like something I'm going to want. An adventure game with lots of similarities to Arkham Horror but only plays in 1 hr 30 mins or so.

Edit: Oh yeah Mage Knight Dungeons looks cool and I've been eying that game for a while too. They have a bunch of starters and terrain packs and stuff at the local comic store, but not marked down at all.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2008 20:28 by metalface13.

More
29 Sep 2008 20:29 #12062 by Bullwinkle
Aw, man! I was really looking forward to Tomb, too.

Who on earth thinks getting really cool stuff only to not use it is a fun mechanic? How did that get past the playtesters?

More
29 Sep 2008 22:55 #12068 by Stephen Avery
Metalface, you should be able to get MK dungeons for a steal. For a while you couldn't give them away but the price has rebounded somewhat. If I were you, I'd make them an offer. The game is long dead and they'd probably be happy to clearance them out.

I've not played Tomb yetbut I'm looking forward to trying it. Maybe I'll end up buying Mike's copy.
Steve"Wheeling n Dealing"Aery

More
30 Sep 2008 00:24 #12074 by Mr Skeletor
I brought Tomb.
I haven't played it yet and to be honest I kind of don't want to. I tried soloing it and I was underwhelmed and didn't finish it. I had the opposite reaction to Barnes - I found my party were too strong and no one was dying.

I could have played it on the weekend but instead played warcraft the board game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds