October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Best Boardgame you've played recently....

More
30 Sep 2008 02:11 #12077 by moss_icon
having played storm over stalingrad last night, this is definitely the best new game for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2008 09:19 #12086 by Mr. Bistro
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I brought Tomb.
I haven't played it yet and to be honest I kind of don't want to. I tried soloing it and I was underwhelmed and didn't finish it. I had the opposite reaction to Barnes - I found my party were too strong and no one was dying.

I could have played it on the weekend but instead played warcraft the board game.

Don't judge the game based on the solo rules. The solo rules are tacked-on shit. The game's sweet spot is 3-4 players.

More
30 Sep 2008 09:26 #12088 by Mr. Bistro
Bullwinkle wrote:

Who on earth thinks getting really cool stuff only to not use it is a fun mechanic? How did that get past the playtesters?

That isn't necessarily how it works. You can attach and use loot, then bank it later. While it can make for some tough choices, it's usually easy to determine what is best to use and what is best to discard.

More
01 Oct 2008 08:53 #12163 by billyz
A Touch of evil and manouvre immediately come to mind.

I can see myself playing the living shit out of Manoeuvre. I mean, you have some historical scenarios on that other site, easy to pick up rules, and super easy portabilty.

I thought that ToE was all kinds of fun at Gencon-- it's the one game I really regret not picking up. Am I the only one that sees the resemblance between ToE and Talisman? It's just the way that you have to buff your character is soooo similar.

More
01 Oct 2008 09:27 #12166 by Mr. Bistro
billyz wrote:

I thought that ToE was all kinds of fun at Gencon-- it's the one game I really regret not picking up. Am I the only one that sees the resemblance between ToE and Talisman? It's just the way that you have to buff your character is soooo similar.

I agree. In fact I really didn't think I was going to like ToE very much just because I felt it was things I had seen before. But FFP has pulled it all together in a fantastic adventure game package. Same great theme as LNoE, but the design is much more mature. And things like the secrets of the Town Elders is just brilliant.

More
01 Oct 2008 13:45 #12210 by TheDukester
Card Football. No, seriously ...

www.csegames.com/cfpe.htm

I played twice recently and I loved it ... and that includes losing the second game, 35-7. I'm looking for a little bit of revenge this weekend, in fact.

Another good recent play was the official two-player rules from the latest Settlers expansion. I've played the SoC card game dozens of times (and loved it), but it was pretty cool to play again with the actual board. I'd tried most of the two-player homebrews over the years, but found them all lacking, so I'd begun to give up hope.

More
02 Oct 2008 23:52 #12339 by KingPut
It was old school week for me. Original Clue with the family. Nuke war and Slapshot on Wednesday game night. Personally, I enjoyed getting a 100 meg bomb dropped on me more than I enjoyed playing Powergrid last week.

More
06 Oct 2008 17:30 #12500 by MrZir
Bohnanza - I played for the first time recently and it was much better than the party-type games that everyone else was picking. Everyone had a good time and wanted to play again.

More
06 Oct 2008 19:08 #12511 by jeb
MrZir wrote:

Bohnanza - I played for the first time recently and it was much better than the party-type games that everyone else was picking. Everyone had a good time and wanted to play again.

BURN THE WITCH! BUUUUURN HER!!!!

More
06 Oct 2008 19:17 #12513 by Mr Skeletor
Bohnanza rocks.

Played Tomb on the weekend. Not as bad as I was dreading and kind of fun, but fuck me the game has problems. First game and we already saw the unkillable party problem.

More
09 Oct 2008 13:24 #12714 by Thaadd
I am playing the crap out of BattleLore - I worked out an afternoon to play just so I could learn the game (helpful to do support on components) and went and bought all the sets I could get my hands on the next week. Now I have a weekly 'Lunch, then 2 games' thing set up with a friend. I normally don't do 2 person games much, because I like social aspect alot, but it's fast and varied enough to keep my attentionspan. I still generally get my ass kicked (playing with game designers sucks at times they ALWAYS know the odds, and are pretty good at strategy)

I need to paint the buggers though :( I have a hard time with the different unit types and have a habit of trying to do stuff with a unit that it can't actually do...

More
09 Oct 2008 18:58 #12732 by Mr Skeletor
Is Battlelore your first COmmand and Colors game?

More
09 Oct 2008 20:22 #12735 by Space Ghost
Which is the best Commands & Colors game?

More
09 Oct 2008 20:42 - 09 Oct 2008 20:51 #12736 by Mr. White
I liked BattleCry and wish I still had it. I hear C&C: Ancients is the best though. Still I think I'd prefer BattleCry. The C&C system is 'ok' and BattleCry does without all the expansions the other three have. Besides that it's got some great minis and I prefer the theme over the others. Great, light game for what it is.

It's #2 on my list of games I wish I hadn't sold.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2008 20:51 by Mr. White.

More
10 Oct 2008 08:50 - 10 Oct 2008 08:53 #12744 by dan daly

Close Action. It's a game about sailing warships in Napoleonic times. I liked the simultaneous movement and combat aspect of Wings of War, but was looking for something more complex and thematic. I found it here. The rules while overwhelming at first are all really make sense and are surprisingly exception-free. Moreover it completely suffices if only one play knows all the rules, the others basically only need to know how to plot movement. Most importantly the game is very fun, so it's satisfying to me as a grognard and to my friends who are AT fans.

Who makes this game? Is it in print? Sounds interesting.

To answer the original question, I haven't gotten much board gaming in the last couple months. Missed our monthly game day in September and the few times before that we've been running an rpg. Played the new Blackbeard shortly after it came out. It was fun, but I think it was fun in spite of itself in a lot of ways. Other than that mostly been playing old favorites with my wife- BattleLine, Risk 2210, Twilight Struggle. All are really good games but none are new to me.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2008 08:53 by dan daly.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds