October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Warhammer 40K - Buy or Wait?

More
16 Mar 2012 15:11 #119520 by Bulwyf
If your're set on playing Space Marines, then by all means either buy the AoBR set or try to buy just the models from it off eBay. Even with a new edition coming out I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to use them. From a modeling standpoint SM figures are a lot of fun to paint and work with, but when it comes to games it can get a little tiresome facing all the other SM armies. Personally I shelved my Black Templar army and have focused my efforts on Imperial Guard instead. I have hope that 6th ed won't be the steaming pile of shit that 5th was, but this is GW we're talking about. Their rule sets aren't exactly solid.

-Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2012 15:17 - 16 Mar 2012 15:18 #119521 by Shrieking Emu
I think most of my playing would be against other friends who would get different armies - somewhat like doing a slow grow league together. I'm the only one who has an interest is Space Marines. I don't have much interest in tournaments or playing at the game store.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2012 15:18 by Shrieking Emu.

More
16 Mar 2012 15:59 #119527 by Da Bid Dabid

Rliyen wrote: Word.

And I'm speaking as a Pimp Guard player.

Here comes the threadjack. What faction of guard Rliyen?

Here's my fairly recently heavily converted commander. (dang this is a WIP as he's missing his armband)

As far as waiting for 6th rules. You mentioned you'd be playing just at home with friends not at a local club, which means you'll need at least one rulebook. With all these factors I'd say your best bet is going ahead and buying 2 Black Reach Sets and splitting one with a soon to be Ork player. Then you've dropped minimum $$$ and have a cheap rules + model start and you can go from there.

More
16 Mar 2012 16:19 #119530 by Shrieking Emu
If I understand 40K correctly, the models don't change that often. It's the core rules and codices that define what a model can do. So I could run older models with newer books?

More
16 Mar 2012 16:31 #119533 by Da Bid Dabid
Arghhh lost a longer post. To sum it up.

Yes, there can be changes but mostly unit structure and what type of gear/weapons they use. Playing with friends should allow your group to proxy or use "counts as stuff" but its more fun when models match.

With marines the Black Reach box has pretty basic stuff for the marines and the basic troops will remain relevant in the next edition for sure.

More
16 Mar 2012 17:39 #119543 by engelstein
If you can stomach waiting, I would wait. If the internet leak of the 6th ed rules is correct, or even close, it looks to be a much better game, and very different than 5th. So you'll save some money on buying the new rules and not have to relearn the rules in a few months. The price of AoBR will also most likely come way down once the new starter comes out.

Geoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
16 Mar 2012 18:15 #119546 by Rliyen

Da Bid Dabid wrote:

Rliyen wrote: Word.

And I'm speaking as a Pimp Guard player.

Here comes the threadjack. What faction of guard Rliyen?

Here's my fairly recently heavily converted commander. (dang this is a WIP as he's missing his armband)

As far as waiting for 6th rules. You mentioned you'd be playing just at home with friends not at a local club, which means you'll need at least one rulebook. With all these factors I'd say your best bet is going ahead and buying 2 Black Reach Sets and splitting one with a soon to be Ork player. Then you've dropped minimum $$$ and have a cheap rules + model start and you can go from there.

What faction? COBRA, my dear man! COBRA!

Attachment cobra_logo.jpg not found

I'll have to pull out my COBRA themed army and take a couple of pictures. I use Cadian models, since they're easy to kitbash into COBRA soldiers. As for 40k faction, Catachans. They were very mobile in 3rd when there was a lot of plant terrain. If I get the new rules and new codices, I'll give another faction a chance.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
16 Mar 2012 21:23 #119556 by Shrieking Emu
Thanks for the replies, folks (and hey, Geoff!). I think I'll see what the 6th edition has to offer - seems like the best option, and I don't mind waiting.

More
16 Mar 2012 21:42 #119559 by Sagrilarus
In the meantime you can browse the Dystopian Wars collection.

S.

More
16 Mar 2012 21:48 #119560 by Shrieking Emu

Sagrilarus wrote: In the meantime you can browse the Dystopian Wars collection.

S.

Ha! One step ahead of you - I have the Britannia starter fleet. Didn't care much for the game in my first play, will have to give it another go.

More
26 Mar 2012 20:21 #120683 by Harkonnen13
I just bought in to 40k this weekend and was aware of the rumored 6th edition. Maybe a summer release, maybe with Dark Angels on the Imperial side. That's what they're saying on some 40k forums. I bought the paperback 5th edition rules (from the Black Reach box) on Ebay for $15 since there's no reason to buy a $50 rule book that's going to be obsolete in 6 months. I'm pretty sure the Grey Knights won't be the Imperial faction in the 6th boxed set so I'm probably good with my army. I can take the $15 hit on the soon to be obsolete 5th rules. I didn't buy Black Reach since I'm not playing vanilla marines or orks but it seems to me (new player) there's still some good stuff in that box; marines orcs, templates, and rules that are good for a few months.

More
12 Sep 2012 16:22 #134213 by Shellhead
There was a nice article on Warhammer 40K at Slate today:

www.slate.com/articles/life/gaming/2012/..._space_marines_.html

Apparently 40K is especially popular with gamers in the U.S. armed forces.

More
12 Sep 2012 16:40 #134215 by the_jake_1973
Epic scale was particularly popular in my unit in the early 90s. I took down many a titan with jetbike swarms.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds