October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

The new GW Limited Edition game...

More
30 Aug 2012 17:45 #133597 by san il defanso

VonTush wrote: Yeah, there is that, but I guess what I'm getting at is something more like Dreadfleet. A complete game in a box with everything that you'd need in one package.

I'd like that too. In moments of weakness I've considered nabbing Dreadfleet myself, but I lack an appropriate playing surface to accommodate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2012 18:46 #133600 by SebastianBludd

Stonecutter wrote: *sigh* another year, still no Space Crusade, still no Advanced Hero Quest.

...or Warhammer Quest. It's weird, GW must be tired of money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, SuperflyPete

More
30 Aug 2012 22:57 #133612 by metalface13

SebastianBludd wrote:

Stonecutter wrote: *sigh* another year, still no Space Crusade, still no Advanced Hero Quest.

...or Warhammer Quest. It's weird, GW must be tired of money.

I bet we'll see a Warhammer Quest release at some point in the future with the iOS game on the horizon.

More
31 Aug 2012 09:44 #133633 by panzerattack
I really like Dreadfleet but I hope its comparative commercial failure doesn't put GW off releasing other boxed games.

Regarding Warhammer Quest - see, I think one reason GW may be slow in re-releasing it is that I don't think it was a very big hit the first time it came out. I've only got anecdotal stuff to go on but I was in school when GW went through their golden age of boardgames. Everyone knew about or played Heroquest and Space Crusade, everyone knew about or played Warhammer ... I didn't know a single person who owned Warhammer Quest. At the time it seemed like it was on the shelves for a year or two and then vanished without trace. It's only years later with internet buzz that the game seems to have generated the following that it has.

With the new boxed set of 40K - if you want to try the game out, it's a great way to get started. If you and a mate can buy a set, swap out the two armies and you'll have a sizeable starting force. The background of 40K is absolutely brilliant in my opinion. The ruleset is getting better with each edition. It's not the best set of rules ever but I think with miniature gaming the way it looks and the fluff is half the fun.

More
31 Aug 2012 12:48 #133640 by SuperflyPete
With the success of the Ravenloft gang it would be inconceivable that people at GW are not thinking that WHQ would be a big, easy cash cow. I mean....the design work is done and it's not like they don't have a huge back catalogue of molds to choose from...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
31 Aug 2012 13:40 #133645 by panzerattack

SuperflyTNT wrote: With the success of the Ravenloft gang it would be inconceivable that people at GW are not thinking that WHQ would be a big, easy cash cow. I mean....the design work is done and it's not like they don't have a huge back catalogue of molds to choose from...

I can't see them using existing molds for a WHQ re-release, they'd be fancy new sculpts. Having said that, re-releasing WHQ would certainly entice people to buy more models from their existing Warhammer line, far more than Space Hulk would have done for their 40K line. I'd love for them to release a version of this with sculpted plastic dungeon tiles - that's be awesome, although probably unlikely.

I've got no idea as to the number of D&D board games that were sold. Do you think that it'd be in sufficient numbers to get GW's interest? I think that's an issue with the board game community - it only takes a relatively small number of people to get a bit of buzz generated about a game and all of a sudden it can look like it's in far more demand than it really is. I'm not so much talking about the D&D games here, I'm thinking more about old titles like Titan or Black Beard. For ages I'd been reading comments from people moaning why Hasbro wouldn't allow the games to be re-printed and what a hit they'd be when they were. Well, they did finally get re-printed and whilst they may have sold decent enough numbers they hardly set the world on fire.

More
31 Aug 2012 14:27 - 31 Aug 2012 14:28 #133654 by VonTush
WHQ to me seems to be such a longshot and I am not holding my breath. The key to the first two released, DF and SH, is that once released GW was able to wash their hands of them. I just don't see the ability to drop the game that easy.

Yes WHQ would sell, but it would be just a drop in the bucket of GW's overall sales.
This would be a short-term windfall. Here's an interesting quote from Jack Kerby in the Chairman's Preamble from the 2011/2012 Annual Report:
"Short-termism is one of the evils of modern society. More shareholder value is destroyed by managers making dumb short-term decisions to enable them to produce glowing quarterly reports than ever is gained in the laughably inappropriately named ‘transparency‘ they are supposed to bring."
Ripples from the flop of Dreadfleet perhaps?
Last edit: 31 Aug 2012 14:28 by VonTush.

More
31 Aug 2012 14:36 #133656 by SuperflyPete
what I'm saying is that the genre of dungeon exploration games (Descent 2ed...Ravenloft...Dungeon Run...Dungeonquest...etc.) always sells well, and there's been more of a desire in the market for a lighter CO-OP, DM-less dungeon experience of late.

So, I'm thinking they'd be fools not to crack out an updated version of AHQ or WHQ to get all the revenues from the nostalgia crowd, the new adopters crowd, AND the GW fanboi crowd in one fell swoop.

More
31 Aug 2012 15:54 #133661 by panzerattack
The dungeon exploration market is a bit bloated at the moment though and I'm not sure how well all those titles really sell. I've got no doubt WHQ would certainly sell well though, but I don't think GW would see it as the licence to print money that a lot of people seem to think it would be.

More
31 Aug 2012 17:09 #133671 by SuperflyPete
It could well be that the iOS development is simply a market test.

More
31 Aug 2012 17:46 #133675 by DukeofChutney
i suspect market saturation would make WQ a bad move. Also whilst i enjoyed it alot back in the day, i think this is largely nostaglia, the more modern alternatives are probably better games. Having said this the IOS app could do very well. Im not aware of any other dungeon crawl apps.

personnally i'd like to see all you need in one box versions of either; Necromunda, Gorka Morka, Mordheim or another printing of Space Hulk.

WQ would need some rules/design revisions me thinks to do well

More
01 Sep 2012 14:21 #133718 by ThirstyMan
The rulebook alone is 45GBP, so does this include the complete rulebook?

If so, than the rest of it is 20GBP. Which seems OK for a starter buy in with 49 miniatures...

More
01 Sep 2012 15:02 - 01 Sep 2012 15:02 #133719 by luckyb0y
It does include all the rules, just no fluff, painting section and the like, so it is not exactly equivalent to the full size book. If you're only after the rules then I think it's much better as you don't have to lug the massive book around. Stater sets have always been a good deal. Sure the minis aren't as poseable as the proper ones but most people don't care about it at all. If you buy the limited edition and don't want the chaplain (limited ed figure) you can flog it on ebay for 15-20 quid. Order online for £52 (the cheapest I could find, free shipping) and you can effectively spend just a bit over £30 - pretty awesome deal if you ask me.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2012 15:02 by luckyb0y.

More
07 Sep 2012 16:39 #133981 by ThirstyMan
Just wanted to give you a shout out for the 52GBP deal which I managed to get before the GW warehouse sold out. Super deal, thanks loads for the info.

Ra Ra Triple Helix Games !!

More
07 Sep 2012 17:17 - 07 Sep 2012 17:18 #133985 by luckyb0y
No bother mate. Have you got yours already? I ordered mine last weekend but it's not here yet. The funny thing is it's sold out online everywhere I looked, but I popped into my local GW today and they still had shitloads of limited edition sets.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2012 17:18 by luckyb0y.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds