October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition

More
19 Nov 2013 21:18 - 19 Nov 2013 21:30 #165545 by Dogmatix
Sag: I'm pretty sure you're several years older than me. So there. :) But less facetiously, Squad Leader sold ~300,000 copies before TAHGC blew up. Twilight Struggle might have to go to its 10th edition and 25th print run before it hits that kind of number. The old print runs were *vast* compared to today.

The GW/Milton Bradley license was always kind of a weird thing. I remember reading an article a while back that traced some of the history with it and GW didn't have nearly the control anyone could possibly imagine if they only know GW of today. I suspect the GW of today is partly a result OF that original Milton Bradley deal.

As far as Hasbro goes, however, they've had a pretty spotty record as far as international rights go. It's possible that Hasbro only owns the US, not worldwide, rights to the game.

Wish I could find that bloody article though. One of the dedicated HQ sites might have it.

I will say, though, that if GW was the concern, there wouldn't be nearly the presence that HQ has on the web. GW would have shut that shit down long ago. Instead, Hasbro/MB may well be up against all the shit they let slide if they try to enforce now. You don't actually get to *not* protect your brand when it isn't cost-effective. Either you protect it or you don't, and they absolutely have not to date.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2013 21:30 by Dogmatix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2013 21:28 - 19 Nov 2013 21:29 #165548 by Dogmatix
Actually, you can ignore just about anything about rights. Did you notice the bit about "there won't be Femirs"?

You can read that as "there won't be any creatures that have actionable trademarks."

This game will be "Hero...Quest [not to be confused with HeroQuest and bearing no resemblance to any intellectual property anyone on the Earth could possibly enforce unless they want to start paying the Tolkien estate a nickel for every use of the "Orc/Ork" ever made]". Beautiful.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2013 21:29 by Dogmatix.

More
20 Nov 2013 13:54 #165610 by Mr. White

Dogmatix wrote: The GW/Milton Bradley license was always kind of a weird thing. I remember reading an article a while back that traced some of the history with it and GW didn't have nearly the control anyone could possibly imagine if they only know GW of today. I suspect the GW of today is partly a result OF that original Milton Bradley deal.

As far as Hasbro goes, however, they've had a pretty spotty record as far as international rights go. It's possible that Hasbro only owns the US, not worldwide, rights to the game.

Wish I could find that bloody article though. One of the dedicated HQ sites might have it.

Interesting, and you're likely right. I'd _love_ to read that article.

Like Bull, I'm also digging the fact that there are male/female heroes.

More
21 Nov 2013 02:07 #165671 by Mr. White
Well, looks like the cover is stock standard modern anime/comic fantasy.
Interest is cooling drastically...

boardgamegeek.com/article/14053201#14053201

More
21 Nov 2013 02:23 #165673 by wadenels

Jeff White wrote: Well, looks like the cover is stock standard modern anime/comic fantasy.
Interest is cooling drastically...

boardgamegeek.com/article/14053201#14053201

Bummer. I've been debating whether I can justify $150 on this single game, and one of the things I was hoping for was them maintaining the old art style.

More
21 Nov 2013 02:35 #165674 by Mr. White
Yeah, the original reminds me of the classic 80's sword and sorcery flicks. I can practically hear the orks growling, the desperate cries of the heroes, and feel the Basil Poledouris drums pounding from somewhere in the deep.

The new one makes me want to put it back on the store shelf.

Oddly enough, the original has a more grim and desperate feel even with the much brighter lighting. And the '89 barbarian is at least facing a rush of oncoming enemies. I have no idea why '14 barbarian is facing forward...though I do like the Danzig chops.

More
21 Nov 2013 02:42 #165677 by wadenels
I've been trying to figure out what the new cover reminds me of and I just got it: Torchlight video game.

More
21 Nov 2013 05:24 #165684 by Sevej
The only thing Heroscape has to do with my youth is that it changed my favorite video game name forever...

More
21 Nov 2013 13:00 #165697 by Gary Sax
I always loved that old cover when I was a kid. Now I especially enjoy the completely disparate groups that have come together to kill the group---what do those zombies have in common with that chaos warrior or the orcs?

More
21 Nov 2013 14:26 #165704 by Bull Nakano
That cover is brutal. I hope the first stretch reward is a better cover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
21 Nov 2013 19:40 #165726 by Columbob

Space Ghost wrote: We've been playing through a "full campaign" for the last few months.

Thus, far we have done:

HeroQuest Base Game
Kellar's Keep
Revenge of the Witch Lord
Against the Ogre Horde

Currently, we are in Wizard's of Morcar. We'll follow it up with the Barbarian and Elf Quest Packs -- I found some good fan made Quest Packs for the Wizard and Dwarf; then we will tie it all together with a final "concluding quest" to end the story (assuming the Heroes live through it all -- but it is hard to get a TPK in HeroQuest).

Anyway, I will probably get this too.

I assume you're using the US rules. How/what did you tweak (if anything) to play AtOH and WoM? Their monsters are much wimpier than their US counterparts and the spells introduced in WoM were a first (and last, as it's the last expansion released) for the European version of the game.

The "Advanced Edition" of the basic game released in Europe featured a huge quest covering 4 boards, that might be a cool concluding quest.

More
22 Nov 2013 01:59 #165767 by drewcula

Columbob wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: We've been playing through a "full campaign" for the last few months.

Thus, far we have done:

HeroQuest Base Game
Kellar's Keep
Revenge of the Witch Lord
Against the Ogre Horde

Currently, we are in Wizard's of Morcar. We'll follow it up with the Barbarian and Elf Quest Packs -- I found some good fan made Quest Packs for the Wizard and Dwarf; then we will tie it all together with a final "concluding quest" to end the story (assuming the Heroes live through it all -- but it is hard to get a TPK in HeroQuest).

Anyway, I will probably get this too.

I assume you're using the US rules. How/what did you tweak (if anything) to play AtOH and WoM? Their monsters are much wimpier than their US counterparts and the spells introduced in WoM were a first (and last, as it's the last expansion released) for the European version of the game.

The "Advanced Edition" of the basic game released in Europe featured a huge quest covering 4 boards, that might be a cool concluding quest.

I'm wildly interesting in a response to this question. After years of nostalgic love and lurking, I finally pounced on an eBay copy of AtOH. With the exception of the AHQ expansion (Terror in the Dark?), I have everything. Ownership and play are different matters however, and I haven't played in 20 years. I'd like to get my monthly group into a dungeon romping campaign and I've been thinking long and hard about HQ scenarios using the AHQ rule set. Any thoughts?

In regards to the original post - I'm cautiously optimistic.

More
22 Nov 2013 02:05 #165768 by Mr. White
I've you've got HQ and AHQ, and want to combine the two, I understand Allied HeroQuest is the business.

www.toco.be/ahq/

More
22 Nov 2013 02:30 #165771 by SaMoKo
Thoughts:
The new box isn't as good as the old one.
Dwarves are the best. Earth magic!
My keyboard is stuck in French Çanadian mode, help!
Maybe the gargoyles won't break in this edition
Broken gargoyles introduced me to the hobby

I played D&D for the first time because my HeroQuest gargolye broke. I went to the comic store to buy a pewter replacement and Vaughn, the nice old guy that owned the place, gave me a box stuff he marked for discount. I first went to that store with my papa years earlier because comics taught me how to read in the second grade - comics are great for kids with dyslexia. Retardation led to me being a gamer :v

More
25 Nov 2013 18:12 - 25 Nov 2013 19:57 #165964 by eekamouse
It's live:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113976860/...anniversary?ref=live

Already doubled funding.
Shipping is NOT included. I checked the calc for myself in the Northwest US. It came to an extra 35 EUR. Ugh...
You have to pledge at the $150 to get the Stretch Goals.
The more Stretch Goals are hit, the less I care about the shipping cost.

I backed it. It's my favorite 1v1 dungeon crawl. I like it better than Claustrophobia even still, and I really liked Claustrophobia...

-edit-

They cleared up "most" of my legal concerns on BGG (which is down now). I still have the hairs on my arms stand up when I think about it though.

-edit2-

Yikes.... latest stretch goal is blank cards....

I should pull my funding out of principle. I'll wait and see if they get their act together.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2013 19:57 by eekamouse.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds