October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk Heroscape

More
12 Nov 2013 20:55 - 12 Nov 2013 20:55 #165065 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Let's Talk Heroscape
I assume the unit boosters (waves) are all about the same and you just buy the ones you're interested in. Also, I hear that in each wave there's a set of commons, then a set that contains heroes for the common sets. I understand all of that, but nothing sounds necessary here (though I'm sure we'll get some eventually).

Now, what about the other terrain sets? Forest & Bridge looks recommended, Tundra, Castle, lava etc. Are any of these necessary or simply more tiles to use?
Last edit: 12 Nov 2013 20:55 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2013 21:02 - 12 Nov 2013 21:06 #165066 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Let's Talk Heroscape
You need nothing beyond Master Set. Everything after that is a matter of buying what you like. You'll likely want to buy more terrain, but there's no must-have pieces after the Master Set.

I would recommend sitting tight until you've taken what you have out for a spin, and then go onto Heroscapers.com and see what looks interesting. As I said before, the pages that begin with "The Book of" are very useful to find out how to play particular pieces, and what you might want to buy to augment them. But there's a lot of game in the original box, so don't feel like you need to hurry.

Some people live on Squads. My oldest boy plays nothing but squads. I personally like big baddies because there's something rewarding about special attacks like "Swallow Opponent Whole" that you don't get with squads. Some squads work well with big baddies and particular heroes, and you can see all the combinations on Heroscapers.com.

S.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2013 21:06 by Sagrilarus.

More
12 Nov 2013 21:04 - 12 Nov 2013 21:04 #165067 by SebastianBludd
Here are the large expansions:

Castle Set = no gameplay effects but the columns which comprise the castle walls look good as line-of-sight blockers on maps.

Road to Forgotten Forest = movement bonus if you start your turn on the road, otherwise the trees are there to look pretty and block LOS.

Thaelank Tundra = there are optional rules for "slippery" ice but this expansion, complete, goes for $85+

Volcarren Wasteland = being on a molten lava space is almost an insta-kill, and you have a 50% chance of taking a wound if you end your turn on a lava field space. This one goes for about $50.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2013 21:04 by SebastianBludd.

More
13 Nov 2013 01:45 #165083 by Brewmiester
Jeb is right, if you get a chance browse your local thrift stores. I've found master and swamp sets there.

More
13 Nov 2013 03:36 #165088 by Bull Nakano
The HS trees are nice, but SO EXPENSIVE! just get some model train trees, they are dirt cheap and look better.

More
13 Nov 2013 05:55 - 13 Nov 2013 06:04 #165095 by SuperflyPete
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

Sagrilarus wrote:

Jeff White wrote: Are there any rules differences between 1st and 2nd edition I should be aware of?

Don't think so. The only change I know about is the dice color.

S.

None at all. They made white dice and blue water (as opposed to Sparkly) but it's all aesthetic.

Here's a massive lot of stuff that is pretty discounted from what the "market price" is lately. I should know...it's my lot.

Jeff, you know you want it. You know it. (swinging pendulum) You know you want me to eat this winter....and the only way for that to happen is if I have a proper deer rifle....(snapping fingers) Now what were we talking about?

As to "Heroscape v. Squadscape", I am of the firm belief that squadscape is where it's at. There is nothing as powerful as running an Orc army with all kinds of bad ass synergies linked to a couple of heroes. 2x Heavy Gruts + Tornak + Nerak + Grimnak is a bad ass build. You get to move and attack with 5 units, one of which is the hero, and each of the heroes gives a +1 attack/defense to adjacent gruts. If it's a low point game, swap the Heavies for the Blade Gruts.

Same can be said for others, such as Knights, or since you have the Master Sets now, go with 1x Krav Agents, Raelin (v1), and Airborne Elite for a low point game, or add Drake for a high point game.

There's SO MANY units. All of them are different in some way, although the melee squaddies are pretty much similar. Make sure you immediately go out and get at least 3x Deathreavers so you can use ranged models effectively...they're the nastiest fuckers in the game as far as I'm concerned.

The 2nd Master Set is actually better - the Stingers are the best pound-for-pound squad IMO, and paired with 'reavers or Raelin they're ultra-nasty. Q10 is in that set too, and he's a must-have. Really fucking cool looking and he'll fuck your shit up.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2013 06:04 by SuperflyPete.

More
14 Nov 2013 01:40 #165157 by Sagrilarus

SuperflyTNT wrote: I am of the firm belief that squadscape is where it's at.

One afternoon I showed my boys how Grimnak swallows small characters whole. He grabs them by their head and shoulders, shakes them to throw off the loose bits of metal, then lifts his head to the sky to drop them down his gullet. On occasions when they don't fall down into his throat on their own he bounces and wiggles a bit to finish the job, hocking a loogey to help it slide things down if need be. Note -- include shoulders in the initial grab or most of the meal will fall off in the initial shake.

Squads are fun, and I really like the idea of a line of Red Coats firing three-quarter inch lead balls from high ground with extra dice and great range. But for me personally role playing is a bigger part of the enjoyment than the tactical advantage. The beauty of Heroscape is that it manages to be damn near everything to damn near everyone. It's hard to not admire the efficiency and artistry in the design.

S.

More
14 Nov 2013 19:23 #165213 by Cranberries
I can't believe Heroscape came out TEN YEARS AGO. I need to go home and rethink my life.

More
14 Nov 2013 20:29 #165220 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: Let's Talk Heroscape
Why? Star Wars is still great.

More
14 Nov 2013 23:22 #165232 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Let's Talk Heroscape
Horoscope? I'm a Gemini.

More
29 Nov 2013 09:31 - 29 Nov 2013 09:42 #166349 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Let's Talk Heroscape
Game is a big hit. Thanks all!

What's the better deal, getting the Marvel base new for about $30 shipped or holding out for Swarm of the Marro for about $60?
(won't be hitting thrift stores anytime soon)

Also, what's the rule for trees if I get some on my own? an extra defense die? block line of site?
Last edit: 29 Nov 2013 09:42 by Mr. White.

More
29 Nov 2013 09:51 #166350 by Sagrilarus
Trees affect line of sight only, no other bonuses or penalties. And they look pretty.

Marvel is a different game. They can work together but it isn't a happy marriage. I'd recommend looking to spend that money on specific figures, or one of the expansion sets at Miniature Market. Remember -- a lot of people broke up base sets to pillage the terrain. You may be able to pick up the Swarm figures on the cheap if you keep your eyes open.

S.

More
29 Nov 2013 10:05 #166353 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Let's Talk Heroscape
Hey Sag,

I'm thinking of maybe trying to run a Heroscape Tourney at ConnCon this March. You've been to game day/tourneys for this game before. Can you offer any insight on what you liked or didn't like. What format seemed best. Did they use the fan created units off of Heroscapers web page?

More
29 Nov 2013 11:04 #166355 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Re: Let's Talk Heroscape

Jeff White wrote:
Also, what's the rule for trees if I get some on my own? an extra defense die? block line of site?

Trees both block line of sight, and provide an extra defense die from normal ranged attacks. I can't recall, but the bonus only applies to small, medium, and large (?) characters. Either that, or it's determined by the height of the tree/bush.

More
29 Nov 2013 11:13 #166356 by SuperflyPete
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

Jeff White wrote: Game is a big hit. Thanks all!

What's the better deal, getting the Marvel base new for about $30 shipped or holding out for Swarm of the Marro for about $60?
(won't be hitting thrift stores anytime soon)

MARRO. MARRO. MARRO.

Marvel only works if you double the value of the figs. 120 -> 240 kind of thing. Otherwise, it's a slaughter.

Still whoring myself out. Big loss on this one:

425 shipped, and the Aquilla's Alliance is worth ~200 alone.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds