October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Doomtrooper Minis

More
17 Mar 2008 11:05 #4193 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Doomtrooper Minis
Ken B. wrote:

Man, that's a bummer. I wonder why they chose that scale...I mean, maybe they don't want people comparing the game to Siege, but still, if people could buy them to replace their minis for Siege...I mean, who cares why people are buying them, so long as they're buying them, right?

How awesome would it be to play Siege with minis as nice looking as these? Siege's were very nice for their day (actually, they're still nice compared to a lot of modern minis that are included in some games) but they don't compare to how nice these new minis look.

Oh well...

They might work on the SOTC boards, however if they don't I plan on using a Xerox to double the size of the tiles,print them on cardstock, and mount them on foamcore. The stairs level may be a sticky wicket, but I'll figure something out to replace it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2008 11:07 #4194 by Rliyen
milgate wrote:

Rliyen wrote:

mikoyan wrote:

Has anyone heard anything else about the impending Doomtrooper Collectible release?

[url]
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/mutant-chronicles/[/url]

Well, they've finally put up a website to it on FFG. Now, if they would only RELEASE the damn product.

Iz a cranky Doomtrooper panda.

My FLGS says "We might be seeing it for real in early April."

(I have SOTC and Fury of the Clansmen.)

I can't wait for it... Actually, yes I will have to. Bender took a nose dive this week, so I had to end up getting a new PC. Goodbye, Bender. Hello, PhilipJFry.

More
27 Mar 2008 16:05 #4426 by Mr. Bistro
Replied by Mr. Bistro on topic Re:Doomtrooper Minis
54mm really is bullshit. The only thing I can think of is they're afraid of everyone using the old models to play. But why use a tactic that overly limits who buys your minis? I'm afraid this game may not take off, solely due to the scale.

More
27 Mar 2008 18:01 #4427 by Rliyen
Mr. Bistro wrote:

54mm really is bullshit. The only thing I can think of is they're afraid of everyone using the old models to play. But why use a tactic that overly limits who buys your minis? I'm afraid this game may not take off, solely due to the scale.

I wouldn't go far as to say that. The old models in the FOTC, BB, and SOTC are nice, but nothing to write home about. Add the fact that you had to paint them to get them to look good didn't help either. 54mm is just not used that often in the sea of 25mm/28mm gaming.

54mm IS bullshit when it comes to GW's Inquisitor. I think they solely did that because they wanted to see if they could get away with it. I never wanted to punch someone in the face who had ties with GW until I read the Inq article citing that you HAD to play with 54mm. Pure opinion piece, pure fucking crap.

More
31 Mar 2008 12:19 #4478 by Mr. Bistro
Replied by Mr. Bistro on topic Re:Doomtrooper Minis
I'm not understanding how FFG's tactic is any different from GW's. 'Splain Lucy.

More
31 Mar 2008 13:45 #4483 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Doomtrooper Minis
I'mma have a preview up on Gameshark for this Thursday...you guys oughta check it out.

More
31 Mar 2008 16:23 #4488 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Doomtrooper Minis
Michael Barnes wrote:

I'mma have a preview up on Gameshark for this Thursday...you guys oughta check it out.

Looking forward to it.

More
03 Apr 2008 18:21 #4662 by username
Replied by username on topic Re:Doomtrooper Minis
I tried to post this as a comment to the Game Shark article but the site won't let me...so:

Ok so I have a lot of games sitting around with miniatures in them. Heroscape, Siege of the Citadel, Warmachine, Star Wars minis, heroclix, LotR, both painted and pre-paints, Crossbows and catapults, DnD minis(Maybe a shoebox full!), lots and lots of Games Workshop minis for WFB and 40K....plus more I am sure I'm not thinking of right now (Darkworld, heroquest, Dragonstrike etc)

I have a 9 year old son. he has been the impetus behind 99% of our DnD minis purchases. He likes them. He and his little buddies play anything and everything BUT DnD with them. I would guess we have 300 dollars worth. I buy them for him, it gives him something to play with at Cons, he pretends to collect them, whatever. But mainly they get worked onto various "teams" by a few 9 year old kids and the invade the world of Heroscape/Star Wars/War Machine/ whatever else they fill a 4foot by 6 foot table with. Perhaps they'll travel across the heroscape land pieces to find a dark portal that leads to a couple space hulk maps setup in an underground Resident Evil hive. It's a great 9-year old semirpg funfest
Whatever their minds can imagine, they pretty much can stage the battle. My wife thinks i'm crazy letting them get into this stuff and mix it together, but the way I look at it, not letting them would just be sadistic torture. (They break stuff here or there, but oh well)

We take a hard look at pretty much any miniatures, especially pre-paints because they play with them a lot in the winter time (nasty winters here, usuaully 1-3 9 year olds sleep over on friday nights to goof around in my game room and play the Wii). Also, because my regular gaming group can play pretty much any roleplaying game or run super cool special scenarios for any mini game we might be playing, be it 40K, WFB, Warmachine, Superfigs, whatever.

The point is, when the 9 year old kid was looking over my shoulder at the new Mutant chronicle previews he said , "Dad! we gotta get some of those for our "Battles"!"

Hey watch out DnD minis you just lost 13 bucks everytime he goes to the game store with me.

Then I told him, "those are twice as tall as everything else we own". He wants to know if they're going to ever make them the right size.(Probably after their Axis and allies-ish re-sizing !)

So even a 9 year old can see the logic. He isn't excited at all and he likes everything.

I do know one person who loves the 54mm scale though. A friend of mine plays GWs Inquisitor (the semi RPG game). He just can't wait for this new Mutant Chronicles game to go stillborn so he can scoop up the figures for Inquisiitor baddies.

So go Fantsy Flight! You've got the Inquisitor players excited! That's tapping a real hot crossover market!

(BTW I have nothing against FF, I own tons of their games, MOST of what they do is awesome)

Carry on,

Bart Miller

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds