October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

New Warhammer Disk Wars Expansions Announced!

More
04 Mar 2014 20:16 - 04 Mar 2014 20:16 #172967 by hotseatgames
www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4679

SKAVEN.....

Hammer and Hold bolsters the forces of Order with stalwart new allies, allowing you to field a complete Dwarf army, full of heroes, command cards, and grudges. Alternatively, you can reinforce your existing army with new Wood Elf and Lizardmen regiments.

Legions of Darkness brings the fell chill of necromancy to Warhammer: Diskwars as it expands your army-building options for the forces of Destruction. You’ll be able to raise a complete army to follow your Vampire Counts into battle, or you can wreak havoc upon your foes with new Dark Elf or Skaven regiments.

Last edit: 04 Mar 2014 20:16 by hotseatgames.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2014 20:36 #172969 by Gary Sax
Coming in here to post about this. I wish I was in my teens again, I would be all in on this shit in lieu of dipping my toes in the warhammer minis game and realizing I didn't have the money or skill to play it.

More
04 Mar 2014 20:38 #172970 by Josh Look

More
04 Mar 2014 21:04 #172972 by Michael Barnes
Fucking hell fuck yes goddamn son of a bitch holy fucking bastard shit!

I'm almost moved to deploy the "shut up and take my money" meme!

FOUR new factions including FUCKING LIZARDMEN and VAMPIRE COUNTS?

MOTHERAMERCY!

Two of each please!

More
04 Mar 2014 21:08 - 04 Mar 2014 21:11 #172973 by Gary Sax
Honestly, if it's me, I don't put the small #s of other faction disks in these boxes, I just put one per box to get people to buy more. They're being more generous than I would be, unless they're planning to follow with a full box each of these factions.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2014 21:11 by Gary Sax.

More
04 Mar 2014 21:38 #172974 by hotseatgames
I'm guessing the theory is that they are really trying to get it to take off, and while I don't claim to know all that much about Warhammer Fantasy, I imagine they could crank out units for years and not run out of material.

More
05 Mar 2014 06:31 #172982 by Stonecutter
So is this worth getting into if I'm already deep into X-wing?

More
05 Mar 2014 08:32 #172983 by SuperflyPete
Fuck no, Stonecutter.

This is yet another example of a game that is designed solely as a giant, flaming hoop of death where your money goes to die. Just once, I'd like to see a game come out that has everything in the box, and that would never merit needing an expansion because it's just that complete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, wadenels

More
05 Mar 2014 09:42 #172987 by Columbob

Michael Barnes wrote: FOUR new factions including FUCKING LIZARDMEN and VAMPIRE COUNTS?

My maths indicate SIX new factions, unless I'm missing something. Am I in R'lyeh?

This sounds too good for this old warhammer player. But I don't really need it, honest!

More
05 Mar 2014 11:21 #172991 by DukeofChutney
this is really two complete, and 4 hour halves. Dorfs and Vamps get full faction treatment, the others are only enough for a single regiment, or group, what ever they call it.

More
05 Mar 2014 11:29 #172992 by Michael Barnes
I'd like to see a game come out that has everything in the box, and that would never merit needing an expansion because it's just that complete.

Like Heroscape, for example?

That ship has sailed my friend. Simple economics. Single-SKU products do not generate revenue in the hobby market like they used to. Product lines do, and continued support is critical. On the consumer end, I'd rather invest $28 in a core (for this kind of game) to see if I want to go in further or not than to be saddled with a $100+ purchase up front and decide I'm not interested. If you want that kind of nonsense, drop your bucks on one of those $200+ Kickstarter things.

As it stands, you can buy one box of Warhammer Diskwars and it's absolutely a complete game. If you want more possibilities in army building, extra terrain, an so forth than a second is a good purchase. These add-ons are ideal, offering two upgrades, neither of which are essential to enjoy the game.

It looks like they're doing some factions as minor, regiment-level groups to support the larger armies. That's a good idea, actually. They might develop them further in future expansions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
05 Mar 2014 11:47 #172994 by hotseatgames
Earth Reborn is an extremely complete game.
If there were never more than the original 4 N Hex armies, I'd have survived.

More
05 Mar 2014 12:11 #172996 by SuperflyPete

hotseatgames wrote: Earth Reborn is an extremely complete game.
If there were never more than the original 4 N Hex armies, I'd have survived.

*POW* *BLAM*

Michael is down!!! MICHAEL IS DOWN!!!!!

Oh, I've heard of this other game that certain individuals raved about, um....shit...what's it called...?

Oh, yeah, Duel of Ages 2.

GAME.SET.MATCH.

More
05 Mar 2014 16:16 #173002 by Michael Barnes
"Wait a minute...Ruth is staggering...why is he clutching his buttocks as if in agony?"

Earth Reborn was also a financial debacle. It was right there at the end of the "coffin box" era but before Kickstarter loosened everybody's purse strings. It was expensive, and quite frankly the amount of content in the box is likely one of the things that kept the game at arm's length for a lot of folks. A $40 starter and another $40 add-on would have been the way to go with that.

Duel of Ages is a core set game and always has been. The difference is that in the new edition, Brett Murrell realized that most buyers of the expansions bought ALL of them so he put them in one very expensive box that will only be purchased by those who want to commit beyond the $40 buy-in. But he also had sense enough not to sell it all as one $140 package with no option for a smaller purchase.

The serial model _works_, and quite frankly it's the only thing working in traditional hobby retail right now. It's a medium between the collectible model and the single sku model that board games are traditionally sold under. It's a model that suits every level of the business. Publishers and distributors have a continual flow of new product built on successful branding. Retailers have the new product which in turn keeps people coming back to the store. Consumers have greater options in terms of how much they want to get into the game.

The problem is when serial games treat add-ons like DLC and leave pieces in the design hanging. I'm also not a fan of FFG's "buy more core sets" strategy, but they've sort of evened that out after the complaints about LOTR LCG and Netrunner.

More
05 Mar 2014 16:21 #173003 by Josh Look

SuperflyTNT wrote: Fuck no, Stonecutter.

This is yet another example of a game that is designed solely as a giant, flaming hoop of death where your money goes to die. Just once, I'd like to see a game come out that has everything in the box, and that would never merit needing an expansion because it's just that complete.

I'll be reposting this quote after Pete posts his inevitable glowing review of the game.

Oh, and I'll be posting it in a new thread titled "What GAMES are Michael Barnes Telling Pete Ruth 'I TOLD SO' about?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.696 seconds