October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

New Warhammer Disk Wars Expansions Announced!

More
06 Mar 2014 18:23 #173071 by Bull Nakano

Michael Barnes wrote: I've been kind of in the market for Race for the Galaxy (want to give it another shot) but I want the whole thing.

This is a mistake. Get the base game and Gathering Storm (exp 1), when you feel you'd like more get RvI (exp 2), ignore all else. Really the base game alone is FANTASTIC but I know you like to solo games and the solo mode added in GS is one of the best solo mode's I've come across. If you venture too far into RftG, it starts to get worse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2014 18:54 #173074 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, that's what I hear...I've been playing the Keldon thing and it doesn't let you combine expansions, but I've mostly been just using Gathering Storm as it is. It's amazing how much better that game is when you DON'T have three other people staring at cards. I hear the new one has some kind of funky dungeon crawl thing added to it.

Really want to do a retro-view on it, but I've just not been successful in getting it at a price or trade that I like.

More
07 Mar 2014 02:38 #173095 by mads b.
I don't want to sound like an ass here, but how on earth can you fault the publisher for your obsessive compulsion to own every single expansion? Battlestar Galactica is a great game without the expansions. LotR can be played perfectly well with a starter and a single cycle or a deluxe expansion, and so on. Of course, if you want to play in LCG tournaments, you're kinda fucked if you haven't been on the wagon from the get go, but isn't that why they usually kill cycles or put them in hiatus in tournament circles?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Mar 2014 12:01 #173226 by SuperflyPete
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, mads b., bendgar, 433, Gary Sax, DeletedUser

More
17 Jul 2014 11:35 #182418 by fastbilly1
I read through this topic yesterday and it got me quite interested in the game. I have never played a Disk Wars game, but I did play Skaven and Chaos Dwarves for the last half of the 90s. I got out of Warhammer when they released a new wave of minis and I was informed that my 1980s Clanrats were no longer tournament legal. For years I skirted the world, trying to not get addicted to Mordhiem and Man o War, but this title looks like it may scratch the itch without the crazy amount of paperwork and bookkeeping the real title takes.

My main question is, despite this being a product line, how complete is the base game? Can I buy and get a solid feel for the game, or like Xwing will I have to buy atleast one more expansion? The responses here mostly say yes, but my worry is that after a half dozen games with core set will I get bored and just go back to playing Xwing (we have atleast two of each unit from the first three waves). Also how well does this title transport? Even if it does not get alot of playtime at home, my wife and I are rebuilding a camper and it looks like it might be a fun one camping.

More
17 Jul 2014 12:23 #182421 by DukeofChutney
imo it is a better or more complete core set than X-Wing. With X wing you are limited to very small skirmishes and it doesn't really bring out the feel of a bigger battles or the more variety/competitive style of play some people do now.

I doubt you will play big battles of disk wars than what comes with the base game. It would go to long and take too much space. The expansions will just add more army variety.

More
17 Jul 2014 12:25 #182422 by hotseatgames
The base game is more complete than 90% of anything that comes out these days, I'd say. I've actually yet to get these expansions since I struggle to get the base game played. Not for its lack of quality; it's an excellent game. But mainly due to rarely having the appropriate player count.

The game is extremely portable. The box is only about an inch thick. You will need a 4' x 4' area to play, so that may be an issue for you in a camper.

More
17 Jul 2014 13:06 #182426 by fastbilly1
Thanks Duke and Hotseat. Looks like it goes to the top of my wishlist.

As for the space in the camper, it only has a 6ft by 9ft cab so playing it inside is not going to happen. That is why we would play it on a camping table, but only when there is no wind. I have played games this way for years, the vast majority of my Ogre and Heroscape games were played this way. You just have to be careful to not play when there is wind but thanks to my handy anemometer, it is easy enough to gauge the wind throughout the day to see if a boardgame or a deck of cards comes out at night.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds