October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

DVG - Valkyrie Miniatures Board Game

More
08 Apr 2015 11:16 #200516 by Cranberries
I'm looking forward to seeing the full ruleset, and hope it includes the ability to stomp on small units or infantry. Not sure what that says about me. I also really enjoyed watching the video and hearing about the miniature creation process--what worked, and what didn't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2015 23:08 #200557 by Dan Verssen
Working on the rules now. So many things to do! :)

More
22 Apr 2015 10:37 #201284 by MacDirk Diggler
Just checked kickstarter to see how this was doing.

It's been cancelled!!!!

Nothing on DVG website or kickstarter to explain why. Anyone here heard anything? Dan?

More
22 Apr 2015 11:58 - 22 Apr 2015 12:08 #201293 by ThirstyMan
There was stuff on FaceBook. No one was interested, other games cover the same ground, blah blah blah.

They will now develop a purely solitaire version of this game which WILL be AWESOME (like the other game which was also awesome)

I definitely think kickstarter is putting some people off. You want to take risks with MY money? Isn't that why YOU have a company and I don't?

The idea is, (in case you don't know), you sell games to other people and make capital. You use this as risk capital to invest in a new idea but it's a risk because it's a new idea. If the consumer doesn't buy it, you lose the money because it's your risk and not theirs. I suppose some might consider KickStarter as a form of market research. It isn't really because only the truly psychotic spend all their money on KickStarter projects anyway. The sane ones back P500 projects where no money is paid up front. But fuck, Thirsty, who are you to tell us where we can throw our money? I'm not, do what you want but you may not see your project come to fruition or it may be dragged out so long it's effectively worthless. These are your risks but they really shouldn't be ..that's why we have professional companies.
If you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Hey, throw it at an established company that wants you to pay up front for an undeveloped or poorly thought through project. Your decision of course.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2015 12:08 by ThirstyMan.

More
22 Apr 2015 12:08 #201296 by SuperflyPete
It's because they've never read Ayn Rand, and don't understand how business is supposed to work, obviously.
/troll
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan, mikecl, wadenels

More
22 Apr 2015 12:32 #201301 by VonTush

ThirstyMan wrote: I definitely think kickstarter is putting some people off. You want to take risks with MY money? Isn't that why YOU have a company and I don't?

I don't think KS is putting people off, but that people are understanding the relationship better. People know that they're acting as a bank providing a small interest free loan to a company. They know there's higher levels of risk regarding fulfillment and quality and in return for putting their money at risk they're accepting payment in trade by receiving access to exclusive product and obtaining early access to the product and typically discounted prices.

The reason why I didn't back Tiger Leader, despite being a Leader fan, is because there was no exclusives, pricing could be found later better and if there was any early receipt of game typically it is by a few weeks with DVG.

More
23 Apr 2015 01:03 #201339 by vegasrobb
I took a look at the Kickstarter, but I'm not just into backing games at or above MSRP anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
23 Apr 2015 12:16 #201359 by SuperflyPete

VonTush wrote: ...People know that they're acting as a bank providing a small interest free loan to a company. They know there's higher levels of risk regarding fulfillment and quality and in return for putting their money at risk they're accepting payment in trade by receiving access to exclusive product and obtaining early access to the product and typically discounted prices.

I don't believe this is entirely accurate. When you view it as a short term loan, with repayment due upon the due date (estimated arrival), what you get as "interest" from the "bank" are the stretch goals. If you were to buy it at retail, you get THE GAME, and that's it. It's a simple transaction. Using Kickstarter, you pay money up front, and they use that money as a sort of "PR collateral" to increase backer counts through social media momentum. So, the more people give, the more "interest" they can pay in the form of backer rewards.

Just my 2c.

More
23 Apr 2015 12:25 #201361 by VonTush
I think we're saying the same thing, but I didn't mention the stretch goals explicitly but its rolled into the discounted prices wording.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds