October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

The economics of Heroscape

More
02 Feb 2016 10:43 #221414 by MacDirk Diggler
It's good to see heroscape get some love. I remember 6 or so years ago people on THIS site saying it was too simplistic. Just activate your baddest dude and sweep the board, etc. There is tons of subtle strategy to playing the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2016 11:11 - 02 Feb 2016 11:12 #221423 by SuperFlySwatter
Oh I'm sorry MacDirk, I Think I must have been one of the naysayers too what a complete fucking tool. I Think I saw Pictures of some maps setup and those Little winged helmet viking toys and was going through my mediteranean spice trading twats in fucking pantaloon phase, oh how clever. IDIOT! The thing is, I've already seen that theres a lot more to the game than meets the Eye, and its an incredibly well polished streamlined system but fuck is it not just almost the perfect game design, I have totally fallen in love with it, I cannot wait to see my kids faces when they open this stuff later in the year. THat I will get to play this with them for the next decade or so is whatever the Word for BEYOND GRAVY is. Van Ness and I guess Daviau (the man of the moment) just GOT IT. Get rules and faff and written down complexity out of the way, just get some fun on the table, and leave a framework there for hardcore gamerz to find that there too if they want it.

Pity the idiots among us who got it too late to be able to fill their boots when it was more easy to get hold of it at reasonable prices.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2016 11:12 by SuperFlySwatter.

More
02 Feb 2016 12:07 - 02 Feb 2016 13:48 #221433 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic The economics of Heroscape
I managed to get a hold of a master set thanks to an awesome fellow F:ATie so I'm all set to start splurging on other crap now... but I'm going to take it really slow. We'll probably just play this master set for a couple of months actually. But my son and I did go on line and look at all the expansions so we could figure out what appeals to us. The first thing to catch his eye (and mine) was the two Yeti's in the Mountains (can't remember the name of the set) we went on e-bay and the prices for that set were crazy high. Like over 200$ - and the low Canadian dollar doesn't help. We're looking into going to Toy Traders and the like around town to just hunt for anything hanging out in stores, maybe trade away some shelf toads too.

I think our plan for now is just to find cheap terrain and get any figures we can that aren't too pricey. I don't really care which ones I just want variety and options for now.

In any case I thought I should let you guys all know that this thread was the breaking point for me. I can't hold off any longer.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2016 13:48 by OldHippy.

More
02 Feb 2016 13:44 #221443 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic The economics of Heroscape
Fortress: Heroscape
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, OldHippy

More
02 Feb 2016 14:22 - 02 Feb 2016 14:28 #221448 by SuperFlySwatter

JonJacob wrote: I managed to get a hold of a master set thanks to an awesome fellow F:ATie so I'm all set to start splurging on other crap now... but I'm going to take it really slow. We'll probably just play this master set for a couple of months actually. But my son and I did go on line and look at all the expansions so we could figure out what appeals to us. The first thing to catch his eye (and mine) was the two Yeti's in the Mountains (can't remember the name of the set) we went on e-bay and the prices for that set were crazy high. Like over 200$ - and the low Canadian dollar doesn't help. We're looking into going to Toy Traders and the like around town to just hunt for anything hanging out in stores, maybe trade away some shelf toads too.

I think our plan for now is just to find cheap terrain and get any figures we can that aren't too pricey. I don't really care which ones I just want variety and options for now.

In any case I thought I should let you guys all know that this thread was the breaking point for me. I can't hold off any longer.

Im guessing you mean the Dzu Teh that come with the Tundra expansion

or you can go to miniaturemarket or some mini store and pay a couple of dollars for

www.trollandtoad.com/p119712.html

now you got your winter gorillas for less than 10 bucks for 3 of them, you can rebase them later if that bugs you

/dishesoutsoundHSadvicelikeanexperteventhoughhesanoobandtotallydoesntfollowhisownadvicebutspendswaytoomuchmoneyonitalready

PS
www.dropbox.com/sh/ivr9k46mhni2mv7/AADk-...AeXnYyZ-qSR6oma?dl=0

heres a dropbox with some word docs I put the minis pictures in by expansion and wave etc, easy to look through at a glance and see it all together
Last edit: 02 Feb 2016 14:28 by SuperFlySwatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, OldHippy

More
02 Feb 2016 14:29 #221451 by MacDirk Diggler
@jonjacob. You should have got in on the math trade. I just traded off the Thaelenk Tundra expansion to Craniac. It is pretty sweet one. Makes any map pop when you put some snow and glaciers on it. Probably my favorite terrain for aesthetics
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
02 Feb 2016 14:54 #221454 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic The economics of Heroscape

Alastair MacDirk wrote: @jonjacob. You should have got in on the math trade. I just traded off the Thaelenk Tundra expansion to Craniac. It is pretty sweet one. Makes any map pop when you put some snow and glaciers on it. Probably my favorite terrain for aesthetics

You know, you totally could have not told me that. I wanted to get in on the math trade but shipping to and from Canada kind of sucks unfortunately - plus by the time I knew about the master set coming to my house it was a bit too late. But I'm paying 47 bucks to ship a master set to my house and that's American (69$ CDN) so it's not cheap.

So I guess I need to find a Canadian supplier of some sort but I'm really hoping I can math trade right here in the City in some way. You never know.

More
02 Feb 2016 16:50 #221476 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic The economics of Heroscape
Trashfest NW math trade?

More
02 Feb 2016 17:18 - 02 Feb 2016 17:21 #221481 by MacDirk Diggler
Ha. Canada! My wife and I try and do an international vacation every year, while abroad we put Canadian maple leaf luggage tags on all our stuff especially the day pack we bring for exploring a new city. Better they don't know we are US Americans.
A good Canada joke overheard on Anthony Bourdain travel show in Toronto...
Canada is an amalgam of three other countries, USA, England, and France. Could've worked out great if they got US technology French cuisine and English culture. Instead they got French technology, English cuisine, and American culture.
All the more hilarious because it's mostly true. Man, the worst pizza I ever had was in Montreal

What this has to do with heroscape I dunno. Was just an excuse for me to riff on Canada.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2016 17:21 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
02 Feb 2016 21:45 #221505 by Mr. White

lala wrote: PS
www.dropbox.com/sh/ivr9k46mhni2mv7/AADk-...AeXnYyZ-qSR6oma?dl=0

heres a dropbox with some word docs I put the minis pictures in by expansion and wave etc, easy to look through at a glance and see it all together

Thanks for this! I never could find a good source of HS minis to pore over when I have the urge to buy some.

More
03 Feb 2016 03:12 #221516 by SuperFlySwatter
heres Another one for JonJacob
www.trollandtoad.com/p138396.html

More
03 Feb 2016 08:06 #221521 by SuperflyPete
I literally just gave the last of my HS stuff to a FATTIE. The fact that the game kept my intense interest for a decade, and that I've played it in probably 15 states and 2 countries is telling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Feb 2016 08:37 #221523 by SuperFlySwatter
why couldnt you have held onto it for just one more year though you big noodle face

More
03 Feb 2016 10:52 - 03 Feb 2016 10:56 #221551 by Mr. White
So, I almost had a moment of profound weakness. In that Kickstarter thread, Von Tush posted about the TMNT game. If there's one nerd property that isn't Pokemon or Mario that my kids are into it's TMNT. A TMNT boardgame seems like a winner. However, there's no rules, gameplay, etc and at $80-150 bucks for an unknown...nope.

Fortunately, this is coming out (now in March): icv2.com/articles/news/view/32451/tmnt-h...ct-details-announced
I'll just snap them off those bases and put them on some of these: www.yodajunkiedesigns.com/#!terrain/c1r71
Then look for what seem to be the best fan made cards. Maybe as solo heroes, but maybe as a unit like this (I don't think 'Large 7' is right...):

Either way, I'll probably only be out ~$25 total, it'll be a fun project to work on with the kids to add to a game we already love and the figs will get used a hell of a lot more than the same theme in a new boardgame I'd have toading on the shelf for five times the amount.

Thanks, Heroscape! Your economics saved me a Benjamin.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2016 10:56 by Mr. White.

More
03 Feb 2016 11:12 #221555 by the_jake_1973
Goodwill is generally a decent place to cruise for Heroscape.

Heroscape Marro Master set

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds