October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

40k for Kids

More
31 May 2016 19:14 #228430 by Michael Barnes
40k for Kids was created by Michael Barnes
Now that I'm loitering around GW sites now (like it's 1998 all over again), I just noticed this Battle for Vedros product line they've got coming out. Have y'all seen this? I think it looks awesome! It's basically a $50 starter with push-fit models (SM and Ork, including a couple of terminators, a dreadnaught, Ork copter, HQ, elites, etc.) and a two page rule set. There are just a couple of expansion sets directly for it, looks like some more SMs, a couple of assault bikes for both sides, a box of Gretchin...simple, accessible stuff. There's also a little $30 paint set for orks/marines.

But here's the thing...it's being distributed and sold at mass market stores...it's not quite clear what those are, but I saw True Value Hardware listed along with Learning Express. And maybe even places like Michaels/Joann. They are setting retailers up with a big stand-up display with all of the products, which have brighter-than-usual colors and more kid-friendly illustrations (including photos of kids building, painting and playing). I love that it is more aimed at kids all around. The "learn to build"/"learn to paint" videos are very accessible, and they steer well clear of any kind of hobby lingo. Surprisingly, they don't even promote GW/Citadel stuff other than the paints in the set. None of the usual "GW side cutters, which are exactly the same as the cheapest ones you can buy at a craft store, are recommended" crap.

I think June 7 is the release date...but it's not showing up on Amazon or anything yet. And GW is NOT selling it at their stores/Web site, which is weird.

I'm definitely getting all of the above, I think...my kids are excited about it after I showed it to them. Of course it is a "gateway" product but it looks like plenty to keep them busy for a while. And at the price, it's OK if they mess up a couple of minis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2016 19:59 #228431 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic 40k for Kids
Looks cool... Is there a rules PDF up anywhere yet?

More
31 May 2016 20:23 - 31 May 2016 20:26 #228433 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic 40k for Kids
It has to be said.

All 40k is for kids.

The models are just a repackage of Assault on Black Reach, which is plenty cheap on EBay if you are looking for cheap models. That being said GW's new management (can't remember the new head dude) has been making some good decisions.
Last edit: 31 May 2016 20:26 by Da Bid Dabid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Gary Sax, Columbob

More
31 May 2016 20:46 - 31 May 2016 22:04 #228434 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic 40k for Kids
This is a nice idea but if you really want your kids to get into the hobby I'd consider a different approach.

GW's current models here are too detailed. It's likely to cause some frustration on the part of the kids. None of us painting now started with this level of minutia on each mini.

Skip this box and get the older Ultramarines or Tyranid Attack. If not easily available go for GW's new Lost Patrol. Though not advertised as a starter set the minis included are way more accessible for first time painters. Particularly as these games I've mentioned are vs tyranids where there are no 'wrong' colors or schemes. Tyranids/genestealers are the best faction for kids to learn painting with as their color imagination is the limit and no worries about getting flesh color on guns or what not. Just have them go to town on the 'nids and celebrate the hive when done.

Buy Lost Patrol and a few paints. I commend GW, but that set isn't the best gateway to the hobby.

Edit: This set does include the wanting more than you have part of the game with its other units to buy. Though that'll be up to you to decide if that part of the hobby is what you want for your kids at this time.
Last edit: 31 May 2016 22:04 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Columbob

More
31 May 2016 21:03 - 31 May 2016 21:13 #228435 by birdman37
Replied by birdman37 on topic 40k for Kids
I'm hoping this stuff comes out down here in Oz as well, and is cheaply priced. I got Betrayal at Calth minus the minis for very cheap, and am currently playing it with LEGO proxies. However, if there's a cheap way to add real space marines/termies/dreadnaughts, I'll be all over it.

Yes, the Bat-Mech is moonlighting as the homicidal maniac Sor Gharax. Zac Snyder approves!
Last edit: 31 May 2016 21:13 by birdman37.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
31 May 2016 21:16 - 31 May 2016 21:28 #228437 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic 40k for Kids
Actually, the Black Reach models should be on par with the Scouts on the Lost Patrol, unlike the latest starter (Dark Vengeance). And I consider it to be the classis match up. Very good set with various unit, although Vedros is an odd one with only a single Terminator lieutenant (was a part of a squad in Black Reach, which I recently painted after adding bits).

When in doubt, teach your kids to drybrush. The Ultramarines color scheme is actually one of the simplest color scheme and it's very easy to make stuff look good with that combination of color (blue + gold). There is a reason why the Warmachine Cygnar is having the same scheme.

There is a stealth page on the GW website. Last time I checked it's not accessible from GW home page.
www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vedros

For videos, GW has consistently make terrific painting videos for the last 1-2 years.

EDIT: I think Betrayal at Calth makes for a great kids' 40k. I have the game sans the minis for this purpose. I just need to paint 2 squads of CSM lol...
Last edit: 31 May 2016 21:28 by Sevej.

More
31 May 2016 22:11 - 31 May 2016 22:14 #228443 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic 40k for Kids

Da Bid Dabid wrote: It has to be said.

All 40k is for kids.

Made me laugh.

The then-manager of the local GW store said at some event or tournament or something, one of the big Scottish guys from main office (used to be featured in WD) was heard saying (in a heavy scottish accent): "Och, Forrrty Kay, it's forrr the kids."

Also, LEGO are expensive and not such a penny-saving alternative.
Last edit: 31 May 2016 22:14 by Columbob.

More
31 May 2016 23:16 - 31 May 2016 23:18 #228444 by Sevej

birdman37 wrote: I'm hoping this stuff comes out down here in Oz as well, and is cheaply priced. I got Betrayal at Calth minus the minis for very cheap, and am currently playing it with LEGO proxies. However, if there's a cheap way to add real space marines/termies/dreadnaughts, I'll be all over it.

Yes, the Bat-Mech is moonlighting as the homicidal maniac Sor Gharax. Zac Snyder approves!

I got this dude for like $10 during a sale in a bitz site. The correct weapon too. Purchased specifically to be played with Calth.

Last edit: 31 May 2016 23:18 by Sevej.

More
31 May 2016 23:37 #228446 by birdman37
Replied by birdman37 on topic 40k for Kids

Columbob wrote: Also, LEGO are expensive and not such a penny-saving alternative.

Absolutely no argument there. I was quite amused a while back to observe that when GW brought out the new re-branded "Hobbit" strategy battle game, the "Escape from Goblin town" starter kit retailed for around AU$130 or so. Meanwhile, the LEGO kit of the same theme was selling for AU$150!

So yeah, proxying GW figures with LEGO is not an economically attractive proposition.

However, if your kid already happens to have said LEGO figures anyway... :)

More
01 Jun 2016 11:09 #228457 by fastbilly1
Replied by fastbilly1 on topic 40k for Kids
I see it more of a Necromunda starter kit...

I doubt Joanns will carry it, or if they do they wont honor the monthly 40% off one item in store coupon.

More
01 Jun 2016 11:19 #228459 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic 40k for Kids
While selling this starter set in a totally different and (?) exclusive channels is a bit unorthodox, it strikes me as very smart. GW, like any business, needs new customers. This is like drug dealers giving out free samples of drugs in hopes of creating new loyal customers.

More
01 Jun 2016 14:36 #228473 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic 40k for Kids
Heh, yeah, 40k is definitely for kids. It's funny, the shipping box from GW that Silver Tower was in says "not a children's product" on it.

Where can you get Black Reach "cheap"? I'm seeing $200+ for it.

This product line is all about showing the game to new players, and specifically kids. It's packaged to look like toys, not grownup games. The boxes look like GI Joe stuff. My kids are MUCH more excited about these sets than "daddy is going to buy a pile of random, older miniatures on Ebay for us to play with". This is something that feels like it is for them, and they like that.

More
01 Jun 2016 14:55 - 01 Jun 2016 15:15 #228475 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic 40k for Kids
C'mon, Mike, seems like this would be a great opportunity to talk to the kids about marketing. Is their diet based on what is marketed to kids as well? I know it isn't. I'm just saying there are better ways to get kids into the hobby than how GW is telling you to do it.

If you must have the new, then go with the new Lost Patrol like I mentioned. Start with that. You paint the scouts, the kids do the tyranids. It's an easy win for them. If they seem displeased with their work you can show them the endless variety of tyranids on the internet and that there is no wrong here. If they take to the painting, then move up to minis that require a bit more 'coloring in the lines' and go with these sets. If they don't, heck you still have a fully painted, cool little self contained game.

Or just go all in on this line. I'm sure it'll be a good time with Dad regardless. Have fun!

EDIT: Not trying to be a dick here, sorry if it comes across that way. I'll leave this alone now. Be sure to post some pics of painted minis either way!
Last edit: 01 Jun 2016 15:15 by Mr. White.

More
01 Jun 2016 20:08 #228489 by Sevej

Michael Barnes wrote: Where can you get Black Reach "cheap"? I'm seeing $200+ for it.

You'll never get them cheap now. Aside from sculpt quality, I like Black Reach much more than Dark Vengeance. There are some pieces that's only in that box, such as the new sculpt plastic deffkopta and melta dread. Vedros will bring these back though.

The only stickler here is the lone terminator. There's no cheap way to complement him.

More
02 Jun 2016 00:34 #228503 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic 40k for Kids
Yep Black Reach not cheap anymore... my bad. It was for a long time, but I guess that time has past.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds