October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

New expansion for Arena of the Planeswalkers: SOI

More
29 Aug 2017 09:30 #253292 by Colorcrayons
You can pick up copies from hasbrotoyshop on eBay for $5 each, and free shipping after $15.

May possibly work internationally as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Jexik, epaparellanto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2017 09:59 - 29 Aug 2017 10:06 #253299 by Jexik

Southernman wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: This is a hell of a pickup for $30.

Not making me feel better Sag.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those things that jumps up in price in 5 years. The D&D Heroscape Master sets got down to like $18 on Amazon, and they jumped to nearly 10 times that in about 5 years. If you have the space, you really can't lose. The only reason I didn't pick this stuff up was because I live in a small apartment and was in the middle of selling 80% of my scape.

I bet this sale has more to do with the premium on warehouse space with Christmas releases coming up than the game being shit.

I have two nephews who grew up loving Heroscape, a $50 Amazon gift card, and their birthdays are in October...
Last edit: 29 Aug 2017 10:06 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto

More
29 Aug 2017 11:15 #253306 by drewcula
Thanks Fastbilly! IDK if Magic is really my thing, but I sure know Heroscape is my thing. I kept this stuff at arm's length for years. $30 for all of it? Why the hell not? $30 is two cocktails at a bar in DC. Now I'll just play some of this Magic/Heroscape crossover stuff with a six pack of Miller Lite.

Any FAT:ties in the Mid-Atlantic have a seat at my gaming table. BYOB.

More
29 Aug 2017 11:32 - 29 Aug 2017 12:09 #253310 by Colorcrayons

Jexik wrote: I bet this sale has more to do with the premium on warehouse space with Christmas releases coming up than the game being shit.

I can guarantee that.

The game no longer being supplemented has everything to do with the usual poor marketing/promotion that is the hall mark of Hasbro.

I only saw shadows over innostrad at Walmart for the first time last month.

Its worth it Drew. Hell it was a great and cheap game at msrp. A few years from now people are going to be scalping this for dumb prices simply because it has MtG on the cover.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2017 12:09 by Colorcrayons.

More
29 Aug 2017 12:45 #253315 by Sagrilarus

Colorcrayons wrote:

Jexik wrote: I bet this sale has more to do with the premium on warehouse space with Christmas releases coming up than the game being shit.

I can guarantee that.

The game no longer being supplemented has everything to do with the usual poor marketing/promotion that is the hall mark of Hasbro.

Its worth it Drew. Hell it was a great and cheap game at msrp. A few years from now people are going to be scalping this for dumb prices simply because it has MtG on the cover.

I picked up both expansions last Christmas for $13 total on Amazon. So this thing was already toast a year ago. Anyone sitting on a skid of these things would do well to dump them now regardless of when the next Christmas is coming. Though I'll agree with the above, I think this is an Epic Duels/Buffy/Nexus Ops kind of thing, where people will be looking for it in 10 years. With all three packages in play there's enough variability to make the game jump, a chance to put your own personality into the play. Steal a bit of Heroscape terrain and you can make a very interesting game.

I think this game could have done well had it been nurtured a bit more. A cross-product between Magic and Heroscape is a license to print money, if you put the proper time and effort into it. I don't think Hasbro understands how to market to the hobby niche, in spite of swallowing Wizards of the Coast whole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, epaparellanto

More
29 Aug 2017 13:16 #253321 by Colorcrayons
Had they done something with it other than produce it in a closet, and market it outside of amazon, I think its success would have been more considerable.

The expansions will be the stuff that will draw the most cash later since these are the items that rarely if ever saw placement on High street.

I would have been in for serious cash if Hasbro matched my own enthusiasm. But I'm sure the battleship galaxies players are shocked that this game got even two expansions.

More
29 Aug 2017 13:23 #253324 by fastbilly1
Drewcula, AOTP is to Heroscape share a connection like Pathfinder and D&D 3.5. It streamlines janky parts, adds in more content. The summons are balanced and pretty much a drop in for Heroscape, but the Planeswalkers are super overpowered. Thankfully there are teams that have converted AOTP into Heroscape and are currently converting Heroscape into AOTP.

My groups has stopped playing Heroscape completely, we just play AOTP with squad summoning. Sure some combos are broken, but its all in fun. Nothing like having the 4th Mass backing up rhinomen.

More
29 Aug 2017 13:29 #253325 by RabidWookie

Sagrilarus wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote:

I can guarantee that.

I picked up both expansions last Christmas for $13 total on Amazon. So this thing was already toast a year ago. Anyone sitting on a skid of these things would do well to dump them now regardless of when the next Christmas is coming. Though I'll agree with the above, I think this is an Epic Duels/Buffy/Nexus Ops kind of thing, where people will be looking for it in 10 years. With all three packages in play there's enough variability to make the game jump, a chance to put your own personality into the play. Steal a bit of Heroscape terrain and you can make a very interesting game.

I think this game could have done well had it been nurtured a bit more. A cross-product between Magic and Heroscape is a license to print money, if you put the proper time and effort into it. I don't think Hasbro understands how to market to the hobby niche, in spite of swallowing Wizards of the Coast whole.

Hasbro released an expansion-friendly/required game with a CCG theme, didn't promote it, and then waited a year before releasing an expansion. Then waited almost another year before releasing another expansion. Then they wondered why it didn't sell like hotcakes, or assumed that the premise of the game itself was the problem. A classic example of executives that don't understand the fundamentals of the business they're in.

More
30 Aug 2017 21:53 #253474 by ufe20
Thanks for the heads up, just got my copies in today. I've played my friend's copy of the original and liked it well enough.

Any tips on storing the complete set together? No need to keep any of the original boxes.

More
30 Aug 2017 22:56 #253482 by Michael Barnes
I have it all stuffed into the Innistrad box. I didn't keep any of the inserts, it's all in baggies.

More
30 Aug 2017 22:58 #253483 by Michael Barnes
I'm sure the battleship galaxies players are shocked that this game got even two expansions.

OOF!

More
30 Aug 2017 23:26 #253484 by Colorcrayons

ufe20 wrote: Any tips on storing the complete set together? No need to keep any of the original boxes.

I use an 8.1 liter (14"x11"x5") "really useful box" from office depot. It holds all rules, decks, figs, dice, etc. handily. Just barely though. It doesnt hold all the tiles or boards though. But i use heroscape most of the time so i dont need em. The Innistrad box works just fine too.

More
31 Aug 2017 15:43 #253517 by Hex Sinister
Battle for Zendikar went from $4.99 to $9.31. But Shadows Over Innistrad was $9.99 and is now only $6.61. Odd. Got half my order today. Thanks for the heads up!

More
03 Sep 2017 17:14 #253651 by southernman
Well some of them have got cheap (for the UK) this week, base game was equivalent of $18 delivered and Zedikar $13 delivered so grabbed a copy of both at those prices, I picked up a Heroscape base set cheaply recently (after selling off my sets a long time ago) so have extra terrain options. Innistrad still double that (unlike the $5 at Hasbro and Amazon !!) so will wait and play around with the other two when they arrive and if i like them then I'll see if the price drops a bit more.

The only thing to think about that I have seen mentioned is that you may need to buy a second base game to build enough spelldecks for the Heroes (especially the dual colour ones), will have to see how the game goes first. Who's been playing it ?

More
04 Sep 2017 12:41 #253673 by Colorcrayons
A second set of each is only necessary because of dual colored Planeswalkers.

You don't want one player being needed in options because another player had access to the same color. For example, Nissa is green and the merfolk Planeswalker in zendikar is green/blue.
It helps to have access for each player for both spells and creatures.
But that's only if you are prepping for two player games.
I think I prefer two players over other counts. More than 2 is a bit long playing for what the game is. So basically just like Heroscape in that sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.488 seconds