October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk DreadBall

More
12 Aug 2016 23:17 - 12 Aug 2016 23:18 #231914 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk DreadBall
If you're looking for a league of 4 players maybe have 4-6 teams on hand? So, which ones for a fun variety?

Male Corp and orx you already have. So one regular and one bashy.

You seem to favor Judwan and veermyn, both on the faster side so go for it.

That leaves another regular and another bashy if you want an uncomplicated mix of two speedy, two regs, and two bashy.

For your last regular go either female corporation or sphyr (fish), again you seem to lean towards both anyway.

For your last bashy go either zzor or terarons. The zzor guard is a beast and they're easy to paint. Teratons are lots of fun as they always teleport away when being hit from behind and they rain elbows on opponents. I'd look at one of those two. A possible third option would be hobgoblins as their hulk is a true brute and the toughest sob on a starting rooster. I wouldn't call this a bashy team over all though...
Last edit: 12 Aug 2016 23:18 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2016 23:22 - 12 Aug 2016 23:23 #231915 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Let's Talk DreadBall
MB,
Welcome to the pitch. Now you, Jeff, and I need to sit down for a game of DreadBall Ultimate. Triangulating, I guess we should meet somewhere in TN.

FYI - Ultimate is the multiplayer version of DB. 2-6 players. It's nutty.

To answer your questions:

Miniature Market was actually the cheapest place to buy DB. Before they dropped most of it. If your boys need to need to speak with "my" boys about restocking for the 2nd edition - you let me know ;)

The season books. Ugh. One of my larger complaints about my favorite sports game (there, I said it). Teams were released in waves of 4, called seasons. Each season introduced a sprinkle of new and auxiliary rules. If want to field the Judwan? They're season 2. Get the Season 2 rulebook. If you want to field the Mutants? They're season 5. Get the Season 5 rulebook. A major pain in the ass that Mantic is thankfully correcting in the 2nd edition. ONE BOOK TO RULE THEM ALL.

Interestingly, Seasons 3 and 6 mirror each other in that both are for "experienced" coaches. The teams are tricky as hell to play. Some competitive, some not. But fun if you have the right mind set.

Season 5 is my biggest headache. All four teams are thematic crossovers with DreadBall Xtreme (i.e. Dungeon Bowl). The teams are a little rougher, a little more violent, and a little hard to handle. Two of the four teams are "build your own." Mutants and Mechanites are bags of bits, and a coach has to do some serious spreadsheet work to develop a killer team only to spend a few hours gluing 'em together. For the hobbyists! Of course, this mother f***er built a brutal Mutant team that won him the DB tourney at this year's Origins.

And for your leanings toward the Skaven, I mean Veer-myn; they're the one team that took me to my league's championship. I love the rats. They can't pick up the ball for shit, so you'll have to steal it. A lot. But they're quick, and with enough coaching dice - you'll make some strikes.

Keep playing.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2016 23:23 by drewcula.

More
12 Aug 2016 23:31 #231916 by drewcula
The Judwan were my favorite team of the first two seasons, only to have their ruleset severely "nerved" in the season 3 rulebook. Come hell or high water, the Judwan will return to form in the second edition.

That said, the Judwan have negatives. They are; expensive, only six on a starting team, and only Strikers (limiting card access).

Jeff likes BB's Dark Elves. I like BB's Wood Elves. We both dig DB's Ada Lorana.

More
12 Aug 2016 23:34 #231917 by drewcula
Now that I think about it Mr. White, you may enjoy playing either of the Asterian teams.
S3 Asterians are nimble and fast and Euro-trash. E-T as in; they're soccer hooligans who fake injuries so the Ref throw opponents off the pitch.
S5 Asterians (Kalyshi) are nimble and fast and pirates and 2/3 naked! They like to shank people in the back, so there's some Dark Elf assassin mojo for ya.

More
12 Aug 2016 23:55 - 12 Aug 2016 23:55 #231919 by Mr. White
Yeah, I've had my eye on the s3 asterians for a while. I've stayed away from the elves in my attempts to promote db with my group as a distinct game and, again, not bb in space.

I think we're getting enough plays now though where I can probably stop being concerned.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2016 23:55 by Mr. White.

More
14 Aug 2016 22:54 #231990 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Let's Talk DreadBall
For about $50 shipped from a local ebayer I got:

Judwan
Zzor
Asterians
Zee
Nameless

All "full" teams with boosters, unpainted/unassembled. Dude just never did anything with any of them

Got outbid on the Chargers and the Teratons he had, but this seemed like a good deal.

More
15 Aug 2016 00:01 - 15 Aug 2016 00:03 #231991 by Mr. White
That's a great deal.

Damn you, Andrew, now I feel like I _need_ Asterians. I mean _need_ them!

EDIT: Barnes, did his auctions have these in baggies? If so, I was looking at that asterian team this evening.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2016 00:03 by Mr. White.

More
15 Aug 2016 00:41 #231994 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Let's Talk DreadBall
Wound up being only $46 with shipping, he's literally sending it like 15 miles.

Yeah, he didn't have boxes for anything, just baggies. Got the Asterians for I think $5.50?

More
15 Aug 2016 07:55 #231997 by Mr. White
Pm sent

More
15 Aug 2016 08:16 - 15 Aug 2016 08:16 #231998 by drewcula
Great score Barnes! And if you dump the Asterians onto Mr. White, lace the pieces with speed and you'll have a buyer for life!

The Asterians are fun, but I can't sing their praises when it comes to the 3D representation. The sculpts are just very uninspired.

It's funny, but I notice a lot of people that sell off their DB collections are just KS addicts. They buy all of this stuff, and have no plan on how to get it to the table! I see numerous complaints on other forums; "No one plays it," "I never play it," "I can't find anyone to play," "I have too many teams..."

Jeff has articulated the ridiculousness of these remarks better than I. I just find it all so baffling. I also know it's not unique to DreadBall, or KS. I guess it speaks to our consumer culture and possibly, gaming introverts?
Last edit: 15 Aug 2016 08:16 by drewcula.

More
15 Aug 2016 08:43 - 15 Aug 2016 08:47 #231999 by Mr. White
Sent Barnes a PM related to rulebooks.

Yeah. the sculpts on the Asterians has a lot to be desired. They look to be one of the worst. Not so far as aesthetic, which is fine, but actual sculpted quality. Are some of the players females? Better than I could ever do, but still.

Regardless, I think I can paint them up pretty cool. I'll definitely be going blue skin though. I'm old school 80s when it comes to Dark Elves. Always blue skin.

We've talked about it at length here in the past, it's true, game buying is so much easier to do for many than game playing. Particularly as most of us spend the lion's share of a day at work. Buying allows folk to interact with the hobby in lieu of gaming.

The wait for DB 2 is going to be looong. I'm actually really eager to paint the Yndij and Matsudons.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2016 08:47 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds