October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar

More
29 Sep 2016 17:01 #235182 by Michael Barnes
It's one of the "Easy to Build" line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2016 17:04 #235183 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: It's one of the "Easy to Build" line.

I think the headpiece is slightly different. But either way it's definitely in the AoS starter box.

Was only curious about it from a value for money point of view. Can't resist free stuff :)

More
29 Sep 2016 17:26 - 29 Sep 2016 17:29 #235186 by barrowdown

MattDP wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Yep, that's it. $8 cover price. But makes you want to spend more. :-/

I'm curious about the figure that comes with this. It seems to be unique to the magazine: I can't see it in any of their other Stormcast boxes. Anyone else know where it's from?

Although they all look pretty much the same to me anyway.

It's their free Stormcast sprue. They packed it with White Dwarf when they first released Age of Sigmar. My FLGS had tons of loose ones that were provided by GW for any release events, giveaways, etc.

Edit: I think I have/had around 8 of them.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2016 17:29 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
29 Sep 2016 17:29 #235187 by Michael Barnes
Barrow- how viable is AOS for small scale, "Heroes only" sorts of skirmishes? I can't find a good answer...having all of this Silver Tower stuff makes me want to play a more Mordheim-styled game with them.

More
29 Sep 2016 17:33 #235188 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: Barrow- how viable is AOS for small scale, "Heroes only" sorts of skirmishes? I can't find a good answer...having all of this Silver Tower stuff makes me want to play a more Mordheim-styled game with them.

How "small-scale" are you talking?

I think it requires a decent number of units to be viable as a fun straight-up brawl. A lot of the abilities require combos to be interesting, so it would just be a dice off for tiny conflicts that have no summoners.

If you have a lot of terrain and create some scenario rules/alternate win conditions, it would probably work pretty well.

More
29 Sep 2016 17:39 #235190 by Michael Barnes
I was thinking less than 20 figures a side, maximum. More heroes than anything. I want to see how that little Storm of Sigmar set handles it.

More
29 Sep 2016 17:47 - 29 Sep 2016 17:47 #235191 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: I was thinking less than 20 figures a side, maximum. More heroes than anything. I want to see how that little Storm of Sigmar set handles it.

That would probably work pretty well if it is predominantly heroes. 7-10 units/heroes a side would provide a nice trade-off of options/low model count. The more overlap in keywords on each side, the better the game will be.

In my experience, terrain is a must for Age of Sigmar if you do not have a lot of synergy; otherwise there is no reason to maneuver and it becomes terrible.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2016 17:47 by barrowdown.

More
29 Sep 2016 18:15 #235193 by ufe20
I've got the Storm of Sigmar set and hopefully will have a chance to check it out this weekend. It has two scenarios for a 2'x2' board and two scenarios for a 4'x2' board. Glancing through them, they seem like they'll be ok for intro games for my non miniature game playing friends or younger players, but I'm not sure how long they'll hold my interest. The first scenario is just 1v3 and these are just basic troops, so not much interesting going on for me. I'll try to get around to them this weekend and report back.

AoS is definitely a game about unit synergy where this dude is buffing these guys so they reroll the whatever. That said, if you're going for a super low model count game, then the more heroes and their wacky special rules, the better so I think you're on the right track.

I've played the game with 1000 points per side using the General's Handbook, which is the lowest "official" size GW recommends. Goblin model count was a little higher than you were looking for slightly under 60, but my Chaos Warriors came in at under 30 models. I played these on a 4'x4' board which is what the General's Handbook recommends for this size battle.

For 20 models per side I'd suggest using your 3'x3' felt mat from Diskwars. The AoS rules just state you need to deploy 12" from your enemy's territory, so that's 24" from each other. So with 3' long, you're just using 6" deployment zones instead of the traditional 12". 3' wide should give you enough room to maneuver without feeling completely empty. Like barrowdown said, pack that shit with terrain though. Hope this makes any sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Oct 2016 09:23 #235738 by fastbilly1
Thanks to barrowdown, I ended up in a Games Workshop store last night with a Storm of Sigmar set...building and painting over the next week or so. I do not plan to play in a tournament, so my old models are still viable (atleast some of them).

But thanks to that trip to the store, I may have found a local buyer for my official GW terrain.

More
07 Oct 2016 10:47 - 07 Oct 2016 10:48 #235751 by Mr. White
Congrats on selling stuff you don't need, but I don't follow. I mean, couldn't you use that terrain for Storm of Sigmar and whatever Age of Sigmar escapades it leads to?
Last edit: 07 Oct 2016 10:48 by Mr. White.

More
07 Oct 2016 11:13 #235752 by fastbilly1
I have three pieces of GW official scenery from the late 90s: Dwarf mine, Cemetery, Ork Village, and they all sell for decent money. People collect them since they have the GW imprint on the bottom. And for the couple hundred Ill get for the set, I can easily build replacement pieces.

More
07 Oct 2016 19:10 #235782 by Michael Barnes
Ugh, Age of Sigmar has me ensorcelled...I keep ALMOST buying the big box...I mean, shit, I have like six or seven Khorne heroes and four or five Stormcast ones at this point...and that box is a lot of bang for the buck...the only thing is that the likelihood that I will be playing massive 6x4 games any time soon is slim, and it isn't like I don't already have ton of painting backlog. I mean, I can only paint like two of these guys a day.

The thing is, I was really trying to get into 40k and I have decent little starter armies of Orks and SMs...but getting into 40k is so freaking complicated right now. Age of Sigmar is MUCH easier to get into...and I'm hoping that 40k goes the AoS route next year so that is on hold for me.

I wasn't really thinking about going with those starter armies, but it just makes sense since I already have things for them...damn, GW that was smart marketing...in the Gorechosen rules it even says something like "Hey, you already have some of these dudes! BUY NOW!"

I picked up a Bloodsecrator...got into a bidding war over one that went for about $12, so that ended, and I turned around got a buy-it-now one for $6 from the same seller. VENGEANCE IS MINE. Now I need to get Valkia, Skaar, and the Aspiring Deathbringer with Impaling Spear to have the full Gorechosen gang...who also all have cards in Silver Tower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
07 Oct 2016 20:01 #235789 by barrowdown
Barnes, I have a Age of Sigmar core set that I would consider parting with. All of the Khorne stuff is unassembled. The Stormcast are painted and based (I think they look okay). I'd sell just the Khorne stuff and all the books or, more reluctantly, all of it together.

More
08 Oct 2016 11:28 #235801 by Michael Barnes
What would you want for it all? I actually have a bid on a set on eBay ($40 but I'm sure that will go way up) so I want to see what happens there, if I get lucky on it...but if I was thinking about your set for plan B...

More
08 Oct 2016 13:38 #235806 by barrowdown
How about $130? I'll cover first $20 on shipping and include the Quest for Ghal Maraz campaign book. If that's completely unreasonable, let me know.

I'd like to move the campaign book at the same time.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds