October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar

More
11 May 2017 16:36 #248177 by Michael Barnes
The game rules are super easy, just a couple of fine points that may cause you to look back at the rule sheet for the first couple of games. But that is correct, that a lot of the actual complexity is in the Warscrolls. It's still not really much though. It is a far, far better and more modern game than WHFB. Sorry, rank and filers. It just is. You can adjust the complexity as well...if you take out the morale stuff, for example, it becomes simpler. You can also do without some traits or abilities while you are learning the basics.

I have a few pieces of Citadel terrain- two Citadel Woods, the Baleful Realmgates, Dragonfate Dais, and Ophidian Archway. Still haven't gotten a good price on the Numinous Occularum. It's all really cool, not as spectacular as the Sector Mechanicus stuff. It's all pretty easy to paint up, really. I also have some monoliths, rocks, and hills that I picked up from some maker on Etsy that were pretty cheap. You do want to have probably more terrain than you might have played with in WHFB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2017 16:49 #248179 by Mr. White
I know some of you have read the AoS novels. Stormcasts are the protagonist, correct? Are they good 'young adult' reads or is this grim fare?

I'm wondering if I get some for the boy (10) to read this summer.

More
12 May 2017 13:23 #248220 by Michael Barnes
I read some pieces of the first couple...they were pretty grim, but no more so than usual for Warhammer. I mean, Khorne Bloodbound is pretty kid unfriendly in general and there's some of that stuff...lots of blood and skin and skulls.

They also weren't very good. Some of the later books are supposed to be better, I dunno.

More
12 May 2017 13:33 - 12 May 2017 15:22 #248221 by barrowdown
I've read Gates of Azyr, the first three books of the Realmgate cycle, and half of Fyreslayers. Stormcasts are mostly the protagonists for what I have read of the Realmgate cycle, but there are occasionally others (a necromancer and a sorcerer are what immediately jumps to mind). Barnes' description is pretty accurate as far as violence goes. Bloodbound and Nurgle related groups (Skaven, daemons, and mortals) are obviously a good bit more obviously violent than the Tzeentch-related factions. The Fyreslayers stories were about the same level of violence as the Stormcast books, just with a different viewpoint.

Overall, the books have very little content that is not battle related, so it's violence galore. Only the third Realmgate book really begins to try and flesh out non-battle related stuff.
Last edit: 12 May 2017 15:22 by barrowdown.

More
12 May 2017 13:56 #248224 by Michael Barnes
They really are like reading a description of the starter set box art. It's almost comical. There are some kind of cool ideas, like how it's almost a postapocalypse kind of thing...but yeah, pretty much just fighting.

More
15 May 2017 08:16 #248317 by Mr. White
Damn...does anyone know how to get an ebay url to render on this site? I can't seem to work that sort of magick.

Anyway, there's a listing that I'm curious to know if it's the same as the $600+ terrain kit GW sells. Do an ebay search for "GW Age of Sigmar Terrain Realm of Battle - Shattered Dominion Box MINT" sold by Noble Knight Games. They've got it for three Cs.

More
15 May 2017 12:55 - 15 May 2017 13:08 #248332 by fastbilly1
One of the Admins at Dakka is doing a playthrough of AoS skirmish this Wednesday.

A Mongoose rep released the preorder pricing in the same thread:

MongooseMatt wrote:
Skirmish has just gone up for pre-order, along with some Skirmish Team box sets:

Skirmish Rulebook £6
Khorne Bloodbound Frenzied Goretribe £40
Flesh Eater Court Nightfeast Hunters £40
Ironjawz Weirdnob Warband £40
Stormcast Eternal Hammerstrike Brethren £40

Khorne set has Wrathmongers, Exalted Deathbringer and Blood Warriors, don't know about the others.

Also coming is a new Soulblight Necorpolis Battle Mat (4 x 4 again) and a Sigmarite Mausoleum, £50, is two Garden of Morrs combined.

Oh, and new 40k apparently 'end of the month', but no specific date given.

I am still cautiously optimistic. I loved Mordheim more than Fantasy and have no real issues with the handful of AoS games I played (apart from lack of opponents).

Edit:
My mistake, the guy doing the game is Bottle - creator of the Hinterlands campaign. He has said that Hinterlands will be updated to be compatible with the AOS Skirmish rules.
Last edit: 15 May 2017 13:08 by fastbilly1.

More
15 May 2017 13:31 #248334 by Mr. White
So...is he doing a skirmish or hinterlands playthrough?

More
15 May 2017 13:34 #248335 by Michael Barnes
Jeff- yeah, that's the official GW AOS terrain thing. It's not $600, I think it's like $330 retail so not as big a savings as it looks.

Skirmish...odd. Releasing what appears to be a small, $15-ish book and then some repackaged sets of figures. I just sold most of my Khorne stuff so I'm not really looking to get more...I probably have everything in Stormcast. Flesh Eater Courts and Ironjawz...not that interested. I hope other factions are in with it like SWA.

Probably have to get that Mausoleum, that's a cool set. Seems like they'd roll out some new Death stuff with that.

More
15 May 2017 13:49 #248336 by fastbilly1

Mr. White wrote: So...is he doing a skirmish or hinterlands playthrough?

Bottle will be playing the official AoS Skirmish this Wednesday.

More
15 May 2017 14:04 - 15 May 2017 14:10 #248337 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: Jeff- yeah, that's the official GW AOS terrain thing. It's not $600, I think it's like $330 retail so not as big a savings as it looks.

I'm seeing that Shattered Dominion Scenery set at almost $700 from the GQ US site: www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Shattered-Dominion-Scenery-Set

Skirmish - eh. I play Mordheim, BB, and DB so get plenty of skirmish gaming in. I'm in the process of building a 5 game AoS narrative campaign that's pretty much a hero and 3-5 units per side. I think that's where I'd like to keep my AoS gaming...help differentiate AoS from the other titles I play. However, I may pick that book up as a resource. I have to swing by GW today to pick up a mini I ordered anyway...maybe I'll preorder Skirmish (sort of a lame name).

Where will this playthrough be streamed?
Last edit: 15 May 2017 14:10 by Mr. White.

More
15 May 2017 14:29 #248342 by fastbilly1

Mr. White wrote: Where will this playthrough be streamed?

It is part of Warhammer Live, which I believe is streamed here:
www.twitch.tv/warhammer

I am jealous you have a Mordheim campaign going. Am I safe to assume that BB is Blood Bowl and DB is Dreadball?

More
15 May 2017 14:32 - 15 May 2017 14:54 #248344 by Mr. White

fastbilly1 wrote:

Mr. White wrote: Where will this playthrough be streamed?

It is part of Warhammer Live, which I believe is streamed here:
www.twitch.tv/warhammer

I am jealous you have a Mordheim campaign going. Am I safe to assume that BB is Blood Bowl and DB is Dreadball?

I wouldn't call it a campaign, but we get together and play from time to time. Last play was last month . Correct on BB and DB. All three games that track injuries, skills, rankings, etc. Fun times, but I don't know if I need every minis experience to be that way.
Last edit: 15 May 2017 14:54 by Mr. White.

More
15 May 2017 14:55 - 15 May 2017 14:55 #248348 by barrowdown
I think this is what Noble Knight was probably selling:

Shattered Dominion .

That is just the board tiles, but none of the terrain on top. As far as I know, the item you linked is not technically an item. It's just one of GW's fabulous 1-Click-Bundles that offer no savings over the individual items.
Last edit: 15 May 2017 14:55 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
15 May 2017 15:04 #248349 by Michael Barnes
That $660 set includes all of the terrain pieces. Shattered Dominions board (the $330 one) doesn't have them. It's just the 2x2 plastic boards.

It's pretty cool, they have it set up at GW. $330 cool? Dunno. I would buy it for $100 no doubt. It's really kind of a plastic game mat, really.

That new graveyard stuff is tempting me to get into Malignants...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds