October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar

More
19 Oct 2016 16:07 #236502 by Michael Barnes
Ah....that may be the case. They are called Start Collecting Premium. The badly translated news item says it's about $250 worth of stuff for $130. No word on WHAT the boxes are, but rest assured if there is a Seraphon one, I won't be able to resist.

I'm putting together and building some AoS stuff this week in hopes of playing a game with a buddy this weekend. The Liberators are really fun to paint, actually. They're pretty easy and it's not too hard to get a decent result. I have one squad and their Prime done.

Now, the Prosecutors are a pain in the ass to put together. Those wings. And storing them is going to be a PITA too. But the figures look great.

I've come to really like the Stormcast...I generally like the "lawful good" side, angels and all that crap so these work for me. Thinking about getting the Judicators (archers) to bolster their ranks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2016 16:21 - 19 Oct 2016 16:28 #236506 by Mr. White
I haven't been tracking this, but I saw a reference to it in a link about the BB pre-order. Comment I read was "And now they are basically going to triple the model count, but only add about 40% to the price of the current ones. Pretty spectacular deals. "

There ya go.

Naturally...AoS is pulling to me as well, but I think I can withstand the call. I'm hoping to get my fill of the AoS setting through Silver Tower and I really plan on expanding and pimping out the game. In fact, I don't plan on actually playing it until everything is painted....hope I like it!

The other reason I haven't gone all in on AoS...is 40K reboot. I've never been a big 40K guy, but once my son realizes Space Marines he'll go nuts. If there's a battle game we go in on...I'm afraid Space Marines are going to trump Treants and Ghouls. :/
Last edit: 19 Oct 2016 16:28 by Mr. White.

More
19 Oct 2016 16:27 #236507 by Space Ghost
I picked up the Age of Sigmar box last night -- local store had it for $105 or so (i think it was $118 after tax), which seemed like a pretty good deal. I should have it painted up by 2022

More
19 Oct 2016 16:29 #236509 by Michael Barnes
November 18 on Blood Bowl. Supposedly "Super Bowl"-like parties at GW stores.

Yeah, the 40k reboot looms large...but fortunately, we wound up with decent-ish 1000 point armies for SMs and Orks thanks to the Vedros stuff and a couple of extra buys (like the Scouts in Lost Patrol). So we are ready for that to hit and have PAINTED armies at the ready. The reboot has kept me from getting any more 40k stuff because I want to see where they go with it, see what the new starter is and whatnot (I'm betting it will be SM/Eldar). But AoS, I think it is set up and in full swing. The only thing I don't like about the system is that it uses the WAY antiquated IGOUGO thing when it should have had alternating activations, command points, or something to that effect.

As for expanding Silver Tower, I have everything now...the extra figures are really nice, I like them all. But I have that extra Slaughterpriest, that was a bad oversight on GW's part since you get that dude in Gorechosen too. The cards are great- I've heard that they may be a limited run. If you don't mind proxies, you can play with any character in the game if you have them. I'm thinking of getting the Orruk guys next.

More
19 Oct 2016 16:32 #236510 by Mr. White
I believe I am in the process of making actual character sheets for Silver Tower. No need for cards.
It may be antiquated, but I love a pencil and paper character sheet...and this way I can scribe stats straight from the updated app.

More
19 Oct 2016 17:17 #236517 by Mr. White
I'm now thinking GW needs to wait a few more years on the 40k reboot. Give AoS time to find its audience with its better ruleset.

40k is the more popular setting...if it also has the better ruleset too soon...the Age of Sigmar may be brief.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
19 Oct 2016 18:38 #236520 by Michael Barnes
Well, you might be right, but I think this ship is already sailing. Second quarter of next year, supposedly.

40k is a sprawling juggernaut of rules, books, FAQs, revisions, models with rules, models without rules, new rules that broke old rules, and the whole codex system. Trying to get back into this year, I was sort of flummoxed as to where to even begin with it. Age of Sigmar made me realize how antique the 40k rules are- and AoS isn't even as modern as some of the other miniatures games out there. They've got to scale 40k back, get to its roots, and make it where it isn't like climbing Mount Everest just to get into it.

There will be MUCH whining and crying. Old time players will pitch a bloody fit. But NEW players bringing in NEW money will likely respond favorably and the result will be GROWTH rather than keeping old timers happy.

I'm convinced that they have got to go the AoS route- four pages of rules, all the unit rules on Warscrolls (or datapads, whatever), formations, battleplans...AoS should be the template for the new 40k, right on down the line. In a perfect situation, they would differentiate it by making it slightly more complex with threaded activations and things like vehicle rules that are naturally not a fit in AoS.

Bitchy old people and "hardcore" players can keep right on playing the old, slodgy, overencumbered edition, nothing is stopping them.

More
20 Oct 2016 12:43 #236553 by fastbilly1

Michael Barnes wrote: They've got to scale 40k back, get to its roots

We need more Sly Marbo, Graffiti Orcs, and that Imperial Guard youth army.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
20 Oct 2016 19:52 #236582 by Sevej
GW had Sly Marbo last week. In metal even.

More
24 Oct 2016 19:27 #236845 by Michael Barnes
So with the funds from my Mantic liquidation, flipping A Feast for Odin while it is out of stock and highly demanded, and a couple of other sales I kind of went bananas.

- 4x4 vinyl plains game mat
- assorted rocks/monoliths/standing stones
- Citadel Woods
- 10"x4" hill piece
- Dragonfate Dais
- Ophidian Archway
- Mighty Skullcrushers
- Blood Warriors (open box at Dan's- $15 off)
- Paladins (Retributors/Decimators/Protectors)
- Judicators
- Liberators

Still need to pick up a box of Wrathmongers/Skullreapers and I'd like to get another two Retributors to make a unit of 5 with those in the base set. Judicators are getting the crossbows. Paladins are going to be Decimators. Liberators are going dual weapon I think so they can use those lightning parrying blades and to diversify from the 10 in the base game.

So I'll have two pretty decent armies. And I'm planning on Seraphon after these are all together and painted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Oct 2016 20:32 - 24 Oct 2016 20:33 #236847 by Mr. White
I genuinely would like to see a photo of all this put together, painted, and played.

do an age of sigmar review proper based on the experience
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 20:33 by Mr. White.

More
24 Oct 2016 20:51 - 24 Oct 2016 20:52 #236849 by Gary Sax
Bet you made a fucking killing with feast for Odin! Nice.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 20:52 by Gary Sax.

More
25 Oct 2016 13:19 #236887 by Michael Barnes
I wanted to keep it and play it a few more times, but...had to strike while the iron was hot on that one to maximize value. I was afraid shipping was going to be a nightmare but the dude was in Ohio which is for some reason half the price to ship anywhere else in the US.

When I get all of this done I will do some battle reports or something. I started painting the Prosecutors, those wings are going to be the death of me. Between assembling them, dropping them, reassembling them...and now trying to paint between the fireballs...they're about 75% right now and after them I have one more 5 man unit of Liberators (maybe an hour and a half) and the Lord Castellant on Dracoth and I will have the Stormcast side of the starter box complete.

More
25 Oct 2016 13:30 #236893 by Mr. White
Dude, you transitioned from 'done painting' to a fiend.

I have no idea how you get all this done so quick...do share.

More
25 Oct 2016 14:07 #236898 by Da Bid Dabid
Also quite impressed with the speed you paint and finding time to do it while managing the family, kids, etc. Good show.

Also I continue to be self amused as the "fuck minis, ERP figurehead" drops further and further into the rabbit hole and GW's pockets. It makes me feel like emperor Palpatine a little bit.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds