October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk Deadzone 2

More
24 Aug 2016 08:26 #232705 by Mr. White
I've got a Forge Father faction on hand, but am actually more interested in the Asterians.

What I need to know is...is there a difference in the starter boxes between the two additions? I mean, are there some special cards or dice or something in the '2' version of the game that aren't in the first? I don't want to buy a starter on the cheap only to find out it's for 1e and I'm missing components I need.

Maybe there's no difference though. Is there?

Can anyone help a fella out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2016 09:22 - 24 Aug 2016 09:23 #232712 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Let's Talk Deadzone 2
The cards from 1st edition are no longer used. Which is a bummer, because you either have to make new cards yourself, or look up unit stats in the book (they DID change from 1st edition). They also jettisoned the command cards in exchange for the new command dice. So there are 6 custom D6s you will not find in the 1st edition box. These are rolled at the start of a round and spent on extra activations, special powers, etc. I like them better than the cards and they keep the game moving.

I was going to dig around online to see if an enterprising player has made new unit cards, but I haven't looked in a while. I've been busy working on my own game prototype, and I keep looking over at all my Deadzone stuff. :/
Last edit: 24 Aug 2016 09:23 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Mr. White

More
24 Aug 2016 09:27 - 24 Aug 2016 09:34 #232714 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Deadzone 2
So, is there any difference in a 1e or 2e faction starter box? Anything I should be aware to look out for?

I know the DB team boxes are a packaging mess, so wonder what this situation is on the DZ side of things.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2016 09:34 by Mr. White.

More
24 Aug 2016 11:13 #232722 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Let's Talk Deadzone 2
I don't know if they changed the makeup of any faction starters, but I don't think so. All of the original units are listed in the 2e rules. And as far as it goes, 2e added 2 factions (Veer-myn and Pathfinders), plus a few hero units for older factions, largely leaving original stuff alone.

More
24 Aug 2016 12:03 #232728 by Michael Barnes
First of all, Deadzone is freaking GREAT. If you are looking for a Necromunda-ish skirmish game with a low model count, lots of quick action and catwalks...here it is. The system is superb, easy to play and with plenty of detail. Coming from Dreadball, the dice/stat system will be immediately familiar.

I love that it feels very boardgamey- command dice, item pickups, etc. The movement and cover rules are great. Movement is "cube to cube", so if you move one you can move into an adjacent one and place the model anywhere in it to take advantage of any cover elements. Cubes are also on the Z axis, so vertical movement is the same.

I have the main starter and the faction starters for Enforcers, Forge Fathers, Asterians and Veer-Myn- they are about $32 a piece and you get a ton of models in each. They aren't GW quality and assembly is kind of bad, but they are decent overall. It's a mix of polystyrene and that awful "restic" junk.

The Enforcer and Forge Father starters duplicate what is in the main box- I may actually sell the extra sprues I have since I don't need a larger army of them. The booster sets add a couple of vehicles and more specialized units. The old starters are fine, like Mark said all the stars are there and most of the models are the same anyway. Some of the new starters have slightly different contents though.

It's a shame that the game probably won't get the recognition it deserves- as far as the rules go, it's one the best miniatures games out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, hotseatgames, stoic

More
06 Sep 2016 19:53 #233450 by Nick Dalton
Replied by Nick Dalton on topic Let's Talk Deadzone 2
I've been thinking about getting into this. I've got a couple of questions for those in the know.

I probably won't go with the starter set as I have little interest in the Enforcers. I want to get the Rebels. What would be a good other army to purchase to get a good feel for the range in the system?

Also, are all battles on that 2x2 grid? Are there rules for larger grids?

Thanks.

More
06 Sep 2016 20:09 #233451 by Michael Barnes
There are some benefits to getting the boxed set even if you just eBay the Enforcer sprues. You get a paper mat, enough terrain for it, the rulebook and some Forge Fathers for a good price (about $65). You also get the command dice and chits you need. Be advised that the Enforcer and Forge Father starters duplicate what you get in the box so if you go FF, maybe just get the Booster. Rebels look really cool, I like that hey are a ragtag bunch of fighters. I will probably get them next.

The Asterians are neat, but I think I'd pick the Veer-Myn over them...if you do that, then I think a good and cheap way to go would be:

Rebel starter
Veer-Myn Starter
Exham IV expansion
Deluxe token set
Command dice
Any old D8s

Exham IV is a campaign thing that uses Veer-Amun but it comes with a universal mat and industrial terrain. No rulebook, but I could digitally and indefinitely loan you a copy.

You could also get your rebels and another starter and buy the deluxe playmat and one of the $30-$40 scenery sets (Like Urban District). You still need the chits and command dice though. And then you could again take advantage of my loan offer.

All in all, I really think the core is the best deal in town, but yeah, Enforcers aren't great. They play really well, the models just blow. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought:

Core box
Asterian starter and booster
Veer-Myn Starter and booster
Urban District
Deluxe mat

Also- Chaos Orc is a great place to get this stuff cheap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick Dalton

More
06 Sep 2016 22:19 - 07 Sep 2016 21:42 #233467 by Nick Dalton
Replied by Nick Dalton on topic Let's Talk Deadzone 2
That's very helpful Michael. Thanks.

I'm going to go with a Core Box, Deluxe Mat, Rebel Starter, and some extra terrain.

Looking at Chaos Orc, I see some armies have different start sets, like the Rebs for example. There's one at $26.25 and one at $30. Looks like there is a 5 model difference there. Do you know if the cheaper one was just an old version of the starter set?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see the same question was asked above.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2016 21:42 by Nick Dalton.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds