October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2643 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk Mantic Games

More
06 Sep 2016 21:22 #233455 by Michael Barnes
Here's the thing...if I grew up on 2010-2016 era GE products and FFG/CMON stuff, if probably be more snooty about Mantic's stuff. But I like that they are more scrappy, more garage. I like that they offer an alternative, and I like that their emphasis really is on fun, playable rules. In contrast to the 40k juggernaut, where you have the world's most beautiful miniatures and an industry-best setting for a so-so rules set that should have been completely overhauled and streamlined three editions ago. There's no dogmatism, no veteran machismo, no constant nerfing/counter nerfing and all of that. And it doesn't feel like Mantic is always trying to lead you to the next purchase, which is something GW is TERRIBLE about. With Mantic, you can spend $100 and feel like you are at a good spot. With GW, you can spend $500 and feel like you are short $500 in other product. I just flipped through the new White Dwarf (thanks Bremiester!) and immediately felt like I needed to spend $500 to get the most out of a $10 magazine. And that is WITH already owning every $125-$150 board game featured.

I do wish Mantic would come up with some better setting material and a more distinguished style. The most successful minis games - namely 40k and Warmachine- have figures that have unmistakeable silhouettes. Their best models are the ones where they go completely off the GW template- the fish people, the monkeys, the ghosts, the bugs and so forth in Dreadball for example. But they still don't have a signature look.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2016 21:44 - 06 Sep 2016 22:52 #233457 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Mantic Games

Michael Barnes wrote: I do wish Mantic would come up with some better setting material and a more distinguished style. The most successful minis games - namely 40k and Warmachine- have figures that have unmistakeable silhouettes.

This is what I want us to address a little more. I feel there's a chance that Mantic may have some of the best rules going in sci-fi and fantasy tabletop gaming. However, rules only aren't going to keep the company afloat in this market, IMO. Like you say, DeadZone is probably going to go unnoticed and if Necromunda ever comes out, worse rules or no, it will put DeadZone away simply because it is _still_ top of mind when it comes to sci-fi skirmish games...and it's been oop for years. Much like BB...a great game...but there are many that won't give DB a chance simply because BB exists.

So, what does Mantic do? Seems like they have to up the aesthetic of their minis to catch the eye of gamers. Great rules are good if you're a one man show doing pdfs, but if you are a company looking to compete with the big dogs gamers need a reason to buy more from you...and if you aren't selling paints and brushes...it's gotta be minis.

I wonder if their marketing needs to get fired up with a little aggression or something. I mean, they can't be depending on KS solely as their marketing branch.

Ronnie did the right thing when he toured the WFB Indy GTs last year and got the new KoW in the hands of all the 8th ed WFB players, but how do you get the more dinner table games like DeadZone and DreadBall more limelight?

Originally, they had their chaos dwarves, squats, and hruds to sell minis to 40k an WFB fans...now they really need a unique race/class to take them to the next level. Like you say, a Space Marine or a Jack. Enforcers aren't going to cut it.

I'm not sure what it'll be but they need to hurry because as much as I don't see RuneWars and future FFG minis games impacting GW much...it could hurt a garage outfit like Mantic.

Last edit: 06 Sep 2016 22:52 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, hotseatgames, stoic, JEM

More
06 Sep 2016 22:15 - 06 Sep 2016 22:18 #233466 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Let's Talk Mantic Games
I like their rules. It could really use some edge, but in general, I like what I see. Deadzone 1 was good, but let down by the +1 -1 cards. Deadzone 2 is much better. They use a lot of old time designers who have exposed to more modern mechanisms.

The thing is, I find their miniatures uninspired. Generic minis are fine. Niche fantasy/sci-fi minis are fine also. But their stuff seems to rest in between, and I just can't make myself to like them. Even their terrain are just boxes. Just compare Deadzone's plastic terrain and GW's cities of death stuff.

I mean, if I'm doing the opposite of what they intended (playing THEIR games with GW minis), that's pretty bad right?
Last edit: 06 Sep 2016 22:18 by Sevej.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
06 Sep 2016 22:29 #233472 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Mantic Games
Correct, sevej.

They need to be selling minis is my guess.

Originally they sold dead armies for wfb and 40k players to buy....now it seems players are using wfb and 40k minis to play their games

More
07 Jan 2017 14:38 #241958 by RabidWookie
Replied by RabidWookie on topic Let's Talk Mantic Games
Dungeon Saga was my biggest gaming disappointment in years. It was built up as HeroQuest Revised and Expanded edition, with Warhammer Quest's RPG elements bolted on and expanded. In other words, the game I've been waiting my entire life for. It turned out to be a Kickstarter cautionary tale, fulfilling none of it's promises.

For some reason I still hold out hope that their recently established rules committee can fix it. If the game ever lived up to it's original billing I'd be overjoyed.

More
07 Jan 2017 14:54 #241960 by Colorcrayons
As someone who didn't have to deal with the ks crap, I find it a good contemporary HQ product with some flair.

That said, I'm holding off on the companion and expansions until I see some positive feedback from others. The products seem to need revisions.

More
07 Jan 2017 15:30 #241962 by RabidWookie
Replied by RabidWookie on topic Let's Talk Mantic Games
I was especially bummed that there are no secret doors, secret traps, wandering monsters, and the festering abortion the Companion turned out to be. The core engine is solid.

More
08 Jan 2017 12:39 #242007 by SuperflyPete
Mars Attacks is goofy Deadzone, Walking Dead is zombie Deadzone.

I don't know Deadzone, but both Mars Attacks and Walking Dead are bad ass

More
09 Jan 2017 08:53 #242047 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's Talk Mantic Games
I'm a big fan of Walking Dead: All Out War. The Zombies are basically dynamic terrain and the narrative evoked is awesome.

More
09 Jan 2017 09:25 #242053 by SuperflyPete
If Aethersteel (not a Mantic game) comes out, look for it. It's going to be pretty bad ass. It definitely has its own look (or more like Heroscape).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds